HERO Initiative revisited

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

RPMiller
Demigod

HERO Initiative revisited

Post by RPMiller »

I'm not sure how far the discussion on HERO system initiative went, but I wanted to ask if it was possible to get it working in IT a bit slicker.

We already know that initiative uses two components - SPD and DEX.

SPD determines which segments you get phases in, and DEX determines the order within those phases. In addition, if there is a tie between to characters with the same DEX you roll a D6 to see who goes first.

To add to this the Phase itself is broken down into parts. You can take a 0 Phase action anytime. Also you can take 2 half phase actions. By default this is usually a move and then an attack. However you can also hold your action until a later segment, or hold a half phase action until after someone else takes a half phase action.

Is there anyway to do the above in IT?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Currently there isn't a way to resolve the tie between 2 combatants with the same DEX. This shouldn't be too difficult to add.

To hold actions you should create a wait state to reflect what is being held. Just create a new Hold Action state (on the Wait States tab of the Tools->Game Settings dialog) and set that on the combatant when it is their turn.

But I don't know the rules so there could be some other problems. If you take a 0 Phase action does it change the order w/in the segment. Does taking a held action in a later segment change the order w/in either segment?

In version 1.1 of Init Tool I've been thinking about adding game settings for Hero. But I don't own the rules so I would need the community's help to do this. Think about everything that you could use in Init Tool; all of the combatant data, the list of common combatants, wait states for holding actions, other combatant categories etc. If you can get me a set of the rules (legally :)) that would be helpful. I am always willing to help support any game in Init Tool.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:Currently there isn't a way to resolve the tie between 2 combatants with the same DEX. This shouldn't be too difficult to add.
Excellent.
jay wrote:To hold actions you should create a wait state to reflect what is being held. Just create a new Hold Action state (on the Wait States tab of the Tools->Game Settings dialog) and set that on the combatant when it is their turn.
Got it.
jay wrote:But I don't know the rules so there could be some other problems. If you take a 0 Phase action does it change the order w/in the segment. Does taking a held action in a later segment change the order w/in either segment?
That would basically be a no, but the held action allows you to interrupt someone else's action, but it goes away once your phase and DEX comes up again.
jay wrote:In version 1.1 of Init Tool I've been thinking about adding game settings for Hero. But I don't own the rules so I would need the community's help to do this. Think about everything that you could use in Init Tool; all of the combatant data, the list of common combatants, wait states for holding actions, other combatant categories etc. If you can get me a set of the rules (legally :)) that would be helpful. I am always willing to help support any game in Init Tool.
Great news! I should be able to get you what you need. There are other HERO gamers that would be interested as well mudpyr being the chief one that comes to mind so I'm sure we can all work together to make it happen.

Thanks for all the help and offer!

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Oh, I wanted to mention that I've already put a bunch of mechanics related stuff up on the Battlegrounds forum so you might look there as a start/refresher for what you know. The specific thread is here:
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... php?t=1218

ImageImage

Return to “InitiativeTool”