Shadowrun 5th Ed

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

stingray075
Kobold

Shadowrun 5th Ed

Post by stingray075 »

Hi there,

I have spent a great deal of time recently creating a character sheet for Shadowrun 5th Ed, useable in CharTool. I am now moving over to InitTool to create the appropriate setting files for InitTool but I am having real problems to get InitTool to work with DnD4e which I am using for comparison.
Is InitTool broken right now? I read earlier posts regarding site outages.

The problem I am experiencing is that I import a char from CT and then I select a monster (say a bugbear) from the lookup option, but the index card doesn't display. However, when I move the mouse around hovering over menu items and things, parts of the index card appear. If I minimize the screen then reopen, everything disappears. Seems redrawing is having problems.

I would love some feedback so that I can carry on with my project, but not sure how frequently these posts are reviewed.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Shadowrun 5th Ed

Post by jay »

Sounds like its throwing an exception when loading the character. I've made some fixes to the dnd4e file, but none in awhile. I don't know that the fixes have been published.

What are you trying to do? Maybe I can help.

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

Hi Jay.

I really appreciate the reply. I love the tools here and am trying to create a means to run my Shadowrun 5th Ed game.
At the present I am simply trying to see InitTool in action as I fail to see what it does due to previously posted issues.
Once I see it in action I intend to dig into the Game Setting Files and learn how it works so that i can adapt it to SR5.
I used to do some programming a few years ago but as of right now other than the basics I am starting from scratch again hehe.

Ultimately I want to create the following:
-an online Char Sheet with some functionality (sheet is built and CT's propertyDescriptorSet.xml has been populated with basic properties for stats)
-allow IT to be used during sessions to keep track of pc and npc initiative and have basic stats displayed
-have the char sheet available in MT for each character and have macro functionality for the campaign setting

Thanks again.

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

How do I get properties set in CT to display in IT. I have read all the adopters posting. The propertyDescriptorSet.xml file has been edited accordingly, but other than the @name property, nothing else displays.
I have set the index-card-view in initTool.xml to display the same form as the one in CT, so names of elements in the form match, yet nothing but the name displays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Post or send me your complete game file here and I'll take a look. Probably not until this weekend though.

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

Attached is my proertyDescriptorSet.xml file.
I have put the visibility="IN_IT_TABLE" attribute in just a few of the property elements to see it working.
Am I missing a script perhaps that re-assigns the property values between programs?

Thanks again.
Attachments
propertyDescriptorSet.xml
(21.23 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Can I get the entire game settings file and not just the descriptor set? IT & CT share character sheets, so if you can get it to work in one, it should work in another. But there is a lot of configuration for things, and sometimes that can get in the way. With the entire game settings file, I can hopefully figure out what's wrong.

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

Sure thing.
At the beginning of this project i simply copied the file from another game and started making necessary changes.
I think it is something to do with the configuration you mentioned that I am missing something or not understanding it's relevance.

Had to upload it as a zip file, it wouldn't take rpgame file.

Thanks for taking a look.
Attachments
shadowrun.zip
(120.38 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

Actually use this file. I found a couple of errors in the previous one.
Attachments
shadowrun.zip
(142.32 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've made the following fixes:
  1. You removed the 'scripting' property from the property descriptor file. This was being used by some of the scripts you copied for the D&D file. I added it back, but you can delete it when you remove all of those scripts.
  2. The CT event CHARACTER_LOAD even script copied from D&D was expecting databases to be available that were not. I commented it out of the chartool/eventScripts.xml file.
  3. You defined the script on your phyLimit property in the property descriptor file:

Code: Select all

<script>Math.ceil(((root.str.base * 2)+bod.base+rea.base)/3)</script>
    There are a couple of problems with this:
    • The function 'Math.ceil' is a JavaScript function, but you are defining a RPScript type script. To make it a JavaScript type script be sure to put the 'JavaScript::' indicator in front of the script. If you do that you are not referencing the properties correctly, you would need to use the get function. It would look like this:

<script>JavaScript::new java.math.BigDecimal(Math.ceil(((str.get("base").intValue() * 2)+bod.get("base").intValue()+rea.get("base").intValue()/3))</script>
      When writing JavaScript scripts:
      • They have to start with JavaScript::
      • Best to use when complex logic is needed
      • You can only access the properties w/o a "." in their name directly, you have to use the get("") function with the base property otherwise
      • Number values need to be returned as java.math.BigDecimal as that is what the code is expecting.
    • Or, you can just write it in RPScript if you want. the function is called 'ceil' or 'ceiling':

<script>ceil(((str.base * 2)+bod.base+rea.base)/3)</script>
      Simple scripts are much easier this way.
  4. Your character sheet is missing a lot of properties, but I assume you already know this.
  5. Make sure you set the 'Category' of the the combatant that you are added to 'PC' or 'NPC', otherwise you will get the default character sheet.
I've attached the fixed rpgame file (as a zip). My changes have 'jay' in comments next to them.
Attachments
shadowrun.zip
Fixed RPGame file. My changes have 'jay' in comments next to them.
(144.2 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

Hi Jay,

I really appreciate you taking a look at my files for me (especially as it was Thanksgiving...assuming you are in US). It is clear to me now that I need more knowledge in RPScript in order to continue. Is there somewhere I can go to read up on that? The blasted @scripting property eluded me well.

I implemented the files you posted, added a dropdown box called @itCategory to provide a value of 'PC' to the itCategory property. However, the original issue still persists.

When I view the index card for a character in IT (which is automatically showing now I have assigned PC) the only property that is filled in on the character sheet is name, even though I fill out some of the other info i have assigned properties to (I currently use player as the example).

Is there some scripting I have to do to get the character sheet to populate properly?

Again, thank you.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

stingray075 wrote:It is clear to me now that I need more knowledge in RPScript in order to continue. Is there somewhere I can go to read up on that? The blasted @scripting property eluded me well.
Nothing to read about RPScript scripting that I know of. In CT/IT it is pretty simple. It is a one line macro that returns a single number, string, boolean, list or map value. For numbers all of the math operators work +, -, *, /. There are a lot of math functions as well (abs, cieling, floor etc). There are some bitwise functions too. And then there are a bunch of dice rolling formats, some game specific. For string there is only the + operator, text has to be quoted with single or double quotes, string equals(eqs) & not equals(neqs) functions. Boolean has >, <, ==, !=, <=, >=, ||, &&. There is an 'if' function that uses a boolean value to choose one of two other values. There are a couple of functions for lists (listGet, inList). You can access properties by the 'dot' notation. What properties are available depend on where the script is called. In a property descriptor file all properties in the same map as the script property are available and the keyword 'root.' will go to the top level of the character.

The best way to learn it is to look at the existing scripts in the property descriptor set, .rpdat files, initTool.xml, and eventScripts.xml files.
stingray075 wrote:I implemented the files you posted, added a dropdown box called @itCategory to provide a value of 'PC' to the itCategory property. However, the original issue still persists.
The @itCategory is tricky. It only works in IT (CT doesn't have any categories). I don't know that you can set the value properly in an index card (I should look into fixing this). Always set it from the 'Add Combatants' dialog or the 'Edit Combatant' dialog that shows up when you double click a combatant or click the pencil when one is selected.
stingray075 wrote:When I view the index card for a character in IT (which is automatically showing now I have assigned PC) the only property that is filled in on the character sheet is name, even though I fill out some of the other info i have assigned properties to (I currently use player as the example).

Is there some scripting I have to do to get the character sheet to populate properly?
There isn't any scripting needed, though there are ways to do that if you want to. With the fixed file I sent you above it appears that lots of values are being set. Any field that is not blank (a value of 0 is not blank) has been set. The attached picture above shows a lot of fields with 0 in them, so all of those were set in addition to the character name. But there were a lot of properties defined in your character sheet that were not in the property descriptor set. Those fields will all be blank until they are defined in there too.

If you create a script fails for some reason, it might stop filling in the values. Could you have an exception being thrown somewhere?

stingray075
Kobold

Post by stingray075 »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your last post. I revisited the Adopters CT/IT posts and am ashamed to say I found a post I hadn't noticed further down the posting list talking specifically about Linking Components to Forms, which is helping me understand the scripting better.

With the CT/IT issue. I saw your pic with the fields showing 0's. When I implement the games setting file exactly as you uploaded it, I get nothing but the character's name.
I deleted all tools and re-downloaded everything and tried the DnD4e game setting file again but any character created for that game doesn't display in IT either.
I think it may be something specific to my system that is causing an issue. Does the DnD4e index-card display on your copy of IT ok?

I may have to scrap the IT idea altogether and just move straight to the bit I am looking forward to and thats the MT integration and macro's.

Thanks again.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

stingray075 wrote:I think it may be something specific to my system that is causing an issue. Does the DnD4e index-card display on your copy of IT ok?
Yes it does, but I have a newer version of IT and the D&D file.

Are you running on Apple? Do you have Java 6 running? Are you getting any exceptions? If you are using the .bat files, you won't see any exceptions w/o changing the call from 'javaw' to just 'java' inside the file. If none of that gives you any more information, send me your complete modified game settings file and I'll take another look.

Return to “InitiativeTool”