InitTool 1.1 fails to run for me

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Richard Weimer
Cave Troll

InitTool 1.1 fails to run for me

Post by Richard Weimer »

I have been unable to run InitTools version 1.1 (either build 0 or build 1) on my laptop. I have successfully run every build of version 1.0 on this same computer (up to b23, the last build for version 1.0). I am using the "Webstart" option to install/run it (which I have always used for all of the RpTools tools). My laptop is running WinXP SP2 with all of the latest patches/updates. The symptoms are:

When I have attempt to run version 1.1.b0 or 1.1.b1, it starts executing, and then a popup window comes up saying: "Unable to run RpTools InitTool". Two buttons appear in this popup window, <OK> and <Details>. When I click the <Details> button, a window appears with a header of "Java Web Start - Unexected Error". Inside this window there are three tabs.

Inside the "General" tab is the following text:
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: RPTools InitTool
Vendor: http://rptools.net/
Category: Unexpected Error

Unexpected exception: java.lang.Exception

Inside the "Launch File" tab is the following text:
<xml>
<jnlp>
<information>
<title>RPTools InitTool</title>
<vendor>http://rptools.net/</vendor>
<offline>
<shortcut>
<desktop>
<menu>
</shortcut>
</information>

<security>
<all>
</security>

<resources>
<j2se>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
<jar>
</resources>
<application>
<argument>${java.launch.args}</argument>
</application>
</jnlp>

Inside the "Exception" tab is the following text:
java.lang.Exception
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any ideas on how to get the latest version of InitTool to run successfully on this laptop? Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The 1.1 version of IT requires Java 6 to be installed. Could that be the problem? That exception is showing that it is dying inside of Web Start before it even runs IT.

Richard Weimer
Cave Troll

Post by Richard Weimer »

I thought my Java was the latest version. How can I find out what version I have?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Run the command java -version in a command prompt window. It will output the version.

Richard Weimer
Cave Troll

Post by Richard Weimer »

the version reads as version 1.5.0_04. I believe the latest version of Java is version 1.6. If so, how do I upgrade it?

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Richard Weimer wrote:the version reads as version 1.5.0_04. I believe the latest version of Java is version 1.6. If so, how do I upgrade it?
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows ... w.java.com

edit: actually, I don't know if you're using windows or not... that link may be bogus for you. Just go to http://www.java.com/ and click on "free download" and it should direct you to 1.6...

Richard Weimer
Cave Troll

Post by Richard Weimer »

Actually, I successfully upgraded my Java version via the link supplied on the MapTools main webpage. After that, InitTools version 1.1 worked just fine for me! Thx for the help!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jay wrote:The 1.1 version of IT requires Java 6 to be installed. Could that be the problem? That exception is showing that it is dying inside of Web Start before it even runs IT.
Is there any option for reverting to Java 5? Sun does not have the JRE available for Java 6 yet for Mac OS X. :( Which means, "No InitTool for YOU!"

Is there something in particular that InitTool uses from Java 6 that isn't in Java 5? If not, I may try building it myself to use the v5 libraries... I'd really like to take a look at using InitTool instead of DM Genie. :)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The 1.0 version of Init Tool uses Java 5. The 1.1 version of Init Tool has scripting support and that requires the use of Java 6. I use scripts for all of the game specific support and to make Init Tool much more flexible so that won't be available in Init Tool 1.0. But, you will get a good idea of how Init Tool works from version 1.0.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the info.

That means I'll need Java 6 in order to get scripting support in MapTool also, I assume. I'll have to start looking around to see what the timeline is going to be like for OSX to get Java 6.

Thanks again. In the meantime, I'll play with v1.0. Cheers. :)

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

It's weird cause the Java download for OS X is from apple.com and not on the java site. All other operating systems are hosted at java. I wonder if Apple is contributing portions of code to the build or what might be slowing it down.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, there's a lot of discussion over the possibility of Sun taking over the OSX code base. I doubt it would happen.

But Apple still has a version based on Sun's build88 on their web site ... it was released last November. :(

My speculation is that now that Java has gone open source, Apple is not so sure they want to continue supporting t because they would have to release their source code changes if they are modifications to the base source. :? So perhaps their legal eagles are reviewing their options.

But it sucks for their customers. :(

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

That does suck :-( I actually am pretty shocked about hearing what you just said... that's the beauty of Java is how awesomely multi-platform it is. Though really, I guess I'm not really shocked. Having owned two iBooks and an iPhone...

Let's hope they get 6 out soon - don't want one of my players to be unable to use a new version of MapTool!

Return to “InitiativeTool”