version 1.1b2

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

brad
Great Wyrm

version 1.1b2

Post by brad »

I just fired up the new build and started tinkering. Here are a couple problems and questions.

In Tools-Game Settings, I can now add Custom Properties. When I goto GroupTool and start creating combatants I cannot get the Custom Properties to show up.

When I add Notes to a combatant in GroupTool it does now carry over to InitiativeTool.

Something that would speed up things for Hero players. I have phases set up. When I add combatants to an encounter I can then double click on them to edit data. When I do that there is a field called Phases, where I can specify what phases they should be in. I type in the phases and the combatant pops into the proper phases. Would it be possible to have this field in GroupTool? That way I could specify the phases in my groups ahead of time. Right now I have to add them to an encounter and then go through and doubleclick on each combatant and specify which phases they belong in during game play.

When I goto Tools-Game Settings-Phases. I click on Sort Property. My Custom Properties are listed here. Which is great because I want initiative to sort the combatant in each phase by my custom property of Dex. But when I choose Dex it doesn't stay chosen and as I mentioned before my Custom Properties are not showing up in Group Tool (or Initiative Tool when I click on them in an encounter) to be defined.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Hey brad, did you get the custom Hero Initiative file that Jay created? I can get it to you if you don't have it. I don't know how well it meshes with the latest version though. I keep poking Jay to get all the Hero SPD stuff in so it may be compatible already.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Hi RPMiller. Unless it is included in the download, then no. There is a Hero setting in Tool-Game Settings-Phases-Dispatcher. There is a drop down list with a Hero option in both version 1.0 and version 1.1, but I can't notice any difference when I choose it. In both versions I have gotten excited when I saw the Sort Property drop down with my custom fields in it, but when I choose Dex it never holds. I am hoping for that in one of the upcoming 1.1 builds.

Right now 1.0 is doing the job with setting up the phases and saving encounters with the player manually stuck in where they are supposed to be. I have high hopes for 1.1 as just a few changes would cover all the basics for Hero.

As I am using 1.0 for the game right now I would like to see the Hero file. What does it do?

jay
RPTools Team

Re: version 1.1b2

Post by jay »

brad wrote:In Tools-Game Settings, I can now add Custom Properties. When I goto GroupTool and start creating combatants I cannot get the Custom Properties to show up.
I'll add a tracker for this bug. In the mean time you can save your changes to the game settings, close IT & GT and then restart them.
brad wrote:Something that would speed up things for Hero players. I have phases set up. When I add combatants to an encounter I can then double click on them to edit data. When I do that there is a field called Phases, where I can specify what phases they should be in. I type in the phases and the combatant pops into the proper phases. Would it be possible to have this field in GroupTool? That way I could specify the phases in my groups ahead of time. Right now I have to add them to an encounter and then go through and doubleclick on each combatant and specify which phases they belong in during game play.
Good idea, I'll add a tracker for this too. On a side note I've been working on a IT 1.1 version of Hero game settings that I hope to get in my next release. It'll be able to automatically assign all of the phases to a combatant.
brad wrote:When I goto Tools-Game Settings-Phases. I click on Sort Property. My Custom Properties are listed here. Which is great because I want initiative to sort the combatant in each phase by my custom property of Dex. But when I choose Dex it doesn't stay chosen and as I mentioned before my Custom Properties are not showing up in Group Tool (or Initiative Tool when I click on them in an encounter) to be defined.
I'll add a tracker for this bug too.

Thanks for the debugging support brad!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

RPMiller wrote:Hey brad, did you get the custom Hero Initiative file that Jay created? I can get it to you if you don't have it. I don't know how well it meshes with the latest version though. I keep poking Jay to get all the Hero SPD stuff in so it may be compatible already.
If I'm remembering what I sent you it was for the 1.0 release of IT. I'm working on a 1.1 version now with scripting to automatically set the phases, calculate normal & kill damage and apply it, and perform recovers on those combatants that can't act. This should be in the next release.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

brad wrote:Hi RPMiller. Unless it is included in the download, then no. There is a Hero setting in Tool-Game Settings-Phases-Dispatcher. There is a drop down list with a Hero option in both version 1.0 and version 1.1, but I can't notice any difference when I choose it.
The phase dispatcher works when you select Actions->Start Encounter. The Hero phase dispatcher will automatically assign the combatants to the proper phases if the phases and speed custom property is named properly. I'm going to remove that support in 1.1 since I can do the same thing with the scripts. My 1.1 version of hero will place them in the phases when they are added to the encounter.
brad wrote:In both versions I have gotten excited when I saw the Sort Property drop down with my custom fields in it, but when I choose Dex it never holds. I am hoping for that in one of the upcoming 1.1 builds.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with XML but you can work around the problem in the dialog by modifying the game settings file. Look for the element named 'phase-sort-property-name' and set its contents to the proper custom property name. It would look something like this: <phase>DEX</phase>
brad wrote:As I am using 1.0 for the game right now I would like to see the Hero file. What does it do?
I would send you the file but it appears that I broke it sometime with the new version of IT. It was just set up to handle the speed and dex initiative stuff.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:If I'm remembering what I sent you it was for the 1.0 release of IT. I'm working on a 1.1 version now with scripting to automatically set the phases, calculate normal & kill damage and apply it, and perform recovers on those combatants that can't act. This should be in the next release.
OH!!! You are so going to get a visit from the Karma fairy when this works!! I am on the edge of my seat waiting for that release now. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Will this be able to handle held actions and half phases as well?

ImageImage

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

RPMiller wrote:EDIT: Will this be able to handle held actions and half phases as well?
I've added wait states so you can mark a combatant as holding their action. I'm not sure what half-phases are or how they change initiative to do anything with them. I'm working from the online introduction PDF and the 2 page combat summary PDF for the rules. They seem to indicate that the half phases are just quick actions that you can perform twice in your phase. How do they change initiative? Can you hold a half action?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:
RPMiller wrote:EDIT: Will this be able to handle held actions and half phases as well?
I've added wait states so you can mark a combatant as holding their action. I'm not sure what half-phases are or how they change initiative to do anything with them. I'm working from the online introduction PDF and the 2 page combat summary PDF for the rules. They seem to indicate that the half phases are just quick actions that you can perform twice in your phase. How do they change initiative? Can you hold a half action?
Each phase is broken down into two halves. The basic idea is the first half is a half move, the second half is an attack so you could make a half move and then hold the second half to allow you to attack on another segment. This held action allows you to attack even before a higher DEX on a later segment.

ImageImage

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It is easy enough to create a second Hold wait state for half phase actions. I'll add that in there.

If there is anything else that you would like to have added to the Hero game settings file just post it here and I'll see what I can do.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Awesome! I will keep that in mind.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Thanks Jay! I never got around to learning XML, but I know the basic concept. I should be able to muddle through. Don't bother sending me the 1.0 Hero script, it sounds like 1.1 will shortly be to the point where I can use it in game play. 1.0 is able to do the basics I require of it. I can wait a little for the extras of 1.1. :wink:

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Well another week and a half anyway. ;) :lol:

ImageImage

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

jay wrote: I'm working on a 1.1 version now with scripting to automatically set the phases, calculate normal & kill damage and apply it, and perform recovers on those combatants that can't act. This should be in the next release.
Jay, I don't know if this is doable but Hero recovery actually falls into 4 categories. A character always recovers in post segment 12 (an imaginary book keeping phase at the end of each 12 segment turn). In addition characters recover when Stunned, unconscious, or they can chose to consciously use a movement phase to recover instead of acting. So if there is a property where you can set a characters status to stunned or unconscious then on their next movement phase they could auto-recover, in addition a player should be able to designate a recover just like they can choose to hold and action. Plus the tool should apply an auto-recover to all characters when it rolls over from the end of 1 turn to the beginning of another.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

One more thing that comes to mind, I have not seen mentioned. There are certain times when a player in Hero can choose to do a defensive move even when it is not yet his turn. This is called an abort, and it uses the players next action in advance. Can the GM tag a character and specify an abort, consuming the players next action?

Return to “InitiativeTool”