version 1.1b2

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

pmbruner wrote:A character always recovers in post segment 12 (an imaginary book keeping phase at the end of each 12 segment turn). In addition characters recover when Stunned, unconscious, or they can chose to consciously use a movement phase to recover instead of acting. So if there is a property where you can set a characters status to stunned or unconscious then on their next movement phase they could auto-recover, in addition a player should be able to designate a recover just like they can choose to hold and action. Plus the tool should apply an auto-recover to all characters when it rolls over from the end of 1 turn to the beginning of another.
I have support for all of this. I'm waiting for a bug fix so that I can release it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

pmbruner wrote:One more thing that comes to mind, I have not seen mentioned. There are certain times when a player in Hero can choose to do a defensive move even when it is not yet his turn. This is called an abort, and it uses the players next action in advance. Can the GM tag a character and specify an abort, consuming the players next action?
I will add a Short state.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

** Little happy dance **

You are DA MAN :D

DrAwkward
Giant

Post by DrAwkward »

I obviously need help with InitTool.

Lets say I don't want all the bells and whistles on the character sheet and I just want to put in a name and init bonus for each party member and a few encounters and save it for later.

I see a place front and center (Mod) to put the init bonus, and it works great.

I open the file later, and everyone's init bonus is reset to 0.

I see lots of places to put the init bonus, and most of them seem to be ignored when the encounter starts. Where is the "make it easy" button?
A good friend will bail you out of jail.
A great friend will be in the cell with you, saying "That was frickin awesome!"

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It sounds like you are running into a bug of some kind. Which game settings are you using? There is a simple one that should work the way you want. It doesn't have any custom properties and it rolls initiative and adds a modifier (or it is supposed to anyway). I'll open a tracker and get this fixed before the next build.

DrAwkward
Giant

Post by DrAwkward »

jay wrote:It sounds like you are running into a bug of some kind. Which game settings are you using? There is a simple one that should work the way you want. It doesn't have any custom properties and it rolls initiative and adds a modifier (or it is supposed to anyway). I'll open a tracker and get this fixed before the next build.
I'm not sure if its a bug, I really do think I just don't know what I'm doing.
/me shrugs

You are probably right in that I need to pick different game setting. As I recall, the released build worked the way I expected. Whatever game setting I ended up with in the dev build ends up clobbering that same field (I'm guessing it fills that from calculations based on the other fields I was ignoring).

When I get home I'll figure out which game setting was giving me grief, and let you know.

DrAwkward
Giant

Post by DrAwkward »

DrAwkward wrote:
jay wrote:When I get home I'll figure out which game setting was giving me grief, and let you know.
Hm.. it looks like my follow on post never made it into the system...

I think the game setting that confused me was "default 1.1 D&D" or something like that.

I could type an init into the "Modifier" and it would work great (but display funny) until I saved, closed, and came back later -- then it'd all be zeros again.

By display funny I mean it would say my init was "18 (6+18)"
Intuitively, I would think I put in +6 init, and rolled an 18 on the die, and the math is broken. I think I actually rolled a 12 on the die here and it's just displayed funny. I'm guessing this because I also see cases of "22 (6+22)".

I could type values into the character sheet area for dex and base init, and they would be ignored. That character sheet area *really* confused me because there seemed to be multiple fields with the same label, or identical meaning.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I will take a look tonight and see if I can figure out what is going on.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

DrAwkward wrote:I think the game setting that confused me was "default 1.1 D&D" or something like that.

I could type an init into the "Modifier" and it would work great (but display funny) until I saved, closed, and came back later -- then it'd all be zeros again.
This is the fully scripted version of D&D. It runs scripts to calculate the initiative modifier from the DEX bonus and any applied modifiers from feats or spells or whatever else might be going on. Since the modifier is calculated the value you entered wasn't being saved. You might want to try the Init Tool Default D&D settings until I get this working a little better.
DrAwkward wrote:By display funny I mean it would say my init was "18 (6+18)" Intuitively, I would think I put in +6 init, and rolled an 18 on the die, and the math is broken. I think I actually rolled a 12 on the die here and it's just displayed funny. I'm guessing this because I also see cases of "22 (6+22)".
This is a bug in the default index card display. When I modified the initiative support to work with scripting, I forgot to fix it to show the proper values. If you had set the category of the combatant to PC or NPC it would have displayed an index card that worked correctly. This bug also shows up in the Edit Combatant dialog. I'll write a tracker to fix this.
DrAwkward wrote:I could type values into the character sheet area for dex and base init, and they would be ignored. That character sheet area *really* confused me because there seemed to be multiple fields with the same label, or identical meaning.
Which character sheet area is confusing you? Are you talking about the index card next to the initiative? If so what is the category of the combatant? Or are you talking about the Custom property tree on the Edit Combatant dialog that is shown when you double click a combatant?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

jay wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:By display funny I mean it would say my init was "18 (6+18)" Intuitively, I would think I put in +6 init, and rolled an 18 on the die, and the math is broken. I think I actually rolled a 12 on the die here and it's just displayed funny. I'm guessing this because I also see cases of "22 (6+22)".
This is a bug in the default index card display. When I modified the initiative support to work with scripting, I forgot to fix it to show the proper values. If you had set the category of the combatant to PC or NPC it would have displayed an index card that worked correctly. This bug also shows up in the Edit Combatant dialog. I'll write a tracker to fix this.
This has been fixed in Init Tool 1.1b3.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: version 1.1b2

Post by jay »

jay wrote:
brad wrote:In Tools-Game Settings, I can now add Custom Properties. When I goto GroupTool and start creating combatants I cannot get the Custom Properties to show up.
I'll add a tracker for this bug. In the mean time you can save your changes to the game settings, close IT & GT and then restart them.
This is fixed in 1.1 b3. You have to be sure to select Visible in: Table Editor and/or Visible in: Init List or it will stay hidden. Should I make one of these the default?

jay
RPTools Team

Re: version 1.1b2

Post by jay »

jay wrote:
brad wrote:When I goto Tools-Game Settings-Phases. I click on Sort Property. My Custom Properties are listed here. Which is great because I want initiative to sort the combatant in each phase by my custom property of Dex. But when I choose Dex it doesn't stay chosen and as I mentioned before my Custom Properties are not showing up in Group Tool (or Initiative Tool when I click on them in an encounter) to be defined.
I'll add a tracker for this bug too.
This has been fixed in 1.1 b3.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

DrAwkward wrote:I think the game setting that confused me was "default 1.1 D&D" or something like that.

This bug has been fixed in 1.1 b3

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

So brad, when are we going to see the InitTool tutorials? ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Return to “InitiativeTool”