1.1b2 comments

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

RPMiller wrote:I'm honestly not XML savvy beyond the basic structure so I don't know what XSLT transfer is.
I think he meant, "XML transform". XML represents not the presentation of the data, but the data itself. This means that data can be fairly easily converted from one layout to another.

For example, you might have an XML element called person that contains firstname and lastname elements. An XSLT (which is "XML Stylesheet Language Transform") could easily convert that to a person element with a single name field by rewriting the two name fields as a single string.

Obviously this is a contrived and over-simplified example, since XSLT is used for much more complicated things, but that's the gist of it.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I understand all that, and actually I think it will be easier than I think as the stylesheet won't be necessary since HD exports tag data. So if I have the XML structure that IT needs I can export directly into it. Yes, Hero Designer is very cool.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Is Hero Designer first-party?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

It is written by Dan Simon for Hero Games. It is owned by Hero Games, but Dan Simon does all the support for it. We are currently using v3 of the software.

ImageImage

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

RPMiller wrote:It is written by Dan Simon for Hero Games. It is owned by Hero Games, but Dan Simon does all the support for it. We are currently using v3 of the software.
Seems like a pretty good deal. If you ever do a demo of the system be sure to lemme know :-) </derail>

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Will do.

ImageImage

Mortani
Giant

Post by Mortani »

What other things are currently calculated in IT? BAB, To Hit bonuses, Saves, etc? One thing you may want to think of is make it so all of those settings are accesable to scripting and just provide the foundation for us as the community to help you out and put it in if the intention is for IT to be able to calculate everything.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Everything is open to scripting. BAB is just added through classes AFAIK so it is a simple number. Base to hit bonuses are calculated now, including the normal (non-monk) progression. I haven't added item support yet so they aren't modified by your weapon. Saves are also calculated.

If there is anything else you want to see added that is part of the SRD feel free to script and send to me. That is true of all of the games I have support for which is currently D&D, Savage Worlds, & coming soon: Hero.

Return to “InitiativeTool”