Games Settings dialog

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

drswoboda
Dragon

Games Settings dialog

Post by drswoboda »

I noticed a bit of weirdness the first time I went to this dialog. It had the path to the current settings file displayed. But when I clicked on the open button it went to the windows 'My Documents' folder and not the dir where the default files are loaded.

I then noticed that when the dialog loads, none of the game settings are highlighted, so when you press 'Open' it wants to open a file.

However, if you highlight one of defaults, then the 'Open' auto loads the highlighted file. The thing is, once you highlight a default, you can not un-highlight a setting. You have to close and come back to be able to load a file not in the default dir. Seems a bit strange.

It would be nice to save the default path in the 'Open' dialog.

Double-clicking on a default setting to load a file.

The default naming of the data files and the dirs is a bit confusing. Savage Worlds is named okay, but the others might be better changed to the same as SW. Filename and directory named the same.

It would be nice to have some feedback on which setting is loaded, outside of the dialog. Like in PCGen where it updates the title bar with the loaded Game Mode.

These are just minor UI issues for the tracker file.
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

There is still a lot of weirdness with the editor. I've been thinking about making a new tool for it, but until then it still acts a little strange for some things. It is a long way off from being complete. I still haven't added all of the functionality to it yet.
drswoboda wrote:I noticed a bit of weirdness the first time I went to this dialog. It had the path to the current settings file displayed. But when I clicked on the open button it went to the windows 'My Documents' folder and not the dir where the default files are loaded.

I then noticed that when the dialog loads, none of the game settings are highlighted, so when you press 'Open' it wants to open a file.
This is done on purpose. The .inittool directory can get deleted on a reset resulting in the loss of your data files. I don't want any data saved there show I use the user default directory.
drswoboda wrote:However, if you highlight one of defaults, then the 'Open' auto loads the highlighted file. The thing is, once you highlight a default, you can not un-highlight a setting. You have to close and come back to be able to load a file not in the default dir. Seems a bit strange.
Have you tried using Ctrl+click to unselect an item in the list? I believe that is the Windows standard, but don't quote me on that :-)

I'll add a tracker to take a look at the problems and add your suggestions.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Okay, I just checked and the ctrl-click lets you unselect the option.

However, beware that you can multi-select in that list with ctrl.

I think it would be better to not have the ctrl-click action (since that is really a multi-select metahor) and to unselect you should just have to click away (off from) one of the items in the list. Right now when you click in the free space at bottom of the list it selects the last item in the list.

Thanks,
-David

Return to “InitiativeTool”