UI - Open/Save As: paths for file open/saves

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

drswoboda
Dragon

UI - Open/Save As: paths for file open/saves

Post by drswoboda »

I think I read about this in a forums post which I can not find again.

The Open and Save As dialogs default to the My Documents dir on Windows. Since the program already stores its data in those two .inittool directories in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\.inittoolDbg\ it would be nice to have the default paths set to those locations and the paths remmembered.

I don't know if this is already tracked, if not there you go ;)

-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The reason I don't do that is that the files in these directories may be overlaid between versions of IT. Also, the Help->Refresh Init Tool menu options deletes the directory completely which would delete any files you might save there. I recommend that you don't save any of your files there.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

So are you suggesting that the user place their custom game settings files in a dir somewhere other than the default settings location?

I have made a new subdir there for my files. I have had a few times when I added new objects in the props UI and then had the file load as corrupted on the next launch. Surfing back to the default windows dir is a mild pain, which is what prompted the comment about dirs.

Thanks,
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

drswoboda wrote:So are you suggesting that the user place their custom game settings files in a dir somewhere other than the default settings location?
That is correct. The default settings location will be deleted by the application on a reset. Placing new files there could cause them to get deleted.
drswoboda wrote:I have made a new subdir there for my files. I have had a few times when I added new objects in the props UI and then had the file load as corrupted on the next launch. Surfing back to the default windows dir is a mild pain, which is what prompted the comment about dirs.
The editor isn't very stable since I keep changing the file structure to add more flexibility. If you can tell me how to recreate the problem, by telling me what you changed using the editor before you saved and then tried to reload it I can try to debug it.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

I just mentioned in my other post, the one area I know I have run into corrupted files on reload is during adding skills and changing the Extends value in UI. I was trying to REMOVE the value I added and I think I tired hitting delete to clear the value. On reload the file was corrupted.

Is there any way to get the error dialog to flag the line of the file that triggered the area to help in finding the error. I spent a while in my text editor and eventually found that several skills had acquired the code form other skills (they had in fact flip flopped) I was adding DESC and Scripts and they got mangled.

Not sure that helps you.
-David

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

I forgot this bit.

Can I suggest that InitTool sets up a dir in the My Documents like Maptool does. And what ever makes sense for other OS's

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\InitTool\game\

Then for default settings go there on open or save and then we only need to surf one directory down to the settings file for a game type. Then we know that we can just backup the InitTool dir and get all our custom stuff.

-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'll add that to the tracker.

Return to “InitiativeTool”