Any Game Settings buildiers out there yet (v1.1)?

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

drswoboda
Dragon

Any Game Settings buildiers out there yet (v1.1)?

Post by drswoboda »

I'm slugging my way into attempting to build a Game Setting file. I'm not a Java programmer so I have to self-teach as I go.

Anyone care to pool information on how this all works until Jay gives us some lessons in how it all fits together?

So far all I have done is add the Star Wars Saga skills to the list. At first I deleted all the old skills and added mine, but as expected the Index Card for players went in the dump as soon as I did that. (not just missing skills, but totally unusable displaying) So now I have just added them until I can figure out how to mod the index cards ( I did load the form in abeille forms program but I did not see how the skills are being displayed in the form so I moved on until I get more information).

My first call to duty is too change the way skills are calculated as in Saga they are now done how the new D&D4 will be, they are trained/untrained and go up with your level, feats and talents. There is no more point buying for skills.

I haven't quite decoded the code to make that change yet. And of course with all the other changes, Initiative is calculated in a different way also, as it is now a SKILL.

If anyone is trying this I'd love to chat about the process.

-David

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Ouch, I just got burned.

So I'm not a programming guru, but I made the assumption that the .rpgame files were xml or some flavor of xml. (Is that a correct guess?)

So, I have been working my way through the .rpgame file as I try to make my game settings file. So I starting doing what I also do when trying to learn something, I started commenting the file. Adding comments where I changed things and added stuff and notes to what I thought was going on in the file.

After spending a fair amount of time doing this, I then added some new objects to the file via the properties dialog. Then I do what I learned you need to do to get things to work, save then shut down and restart.

Wham-mo. All my comments were stripped from the file upon reloading. Yikes that is not very user or programmer friendly. How can anyone do stuff this complex without being able to use comments?

Jay can you look into this issue please. Comments are our (my) friends.

Thanks,
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

You lost all the comments on the save. I don't read them or have a place to save them in the data structures so they are always lost on the save. There are description elements on a lot of things and you can use that, but that isn't the best solution. I'll add a tracker for the comments.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Thanks Jay,

Smart guys like you know how it all fits together, and guys like me wish we did!

-David

Return to “InitiativeTool”