IT v1.1 corrupted code

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

drswoboda
Dragon

IT v1.1 corrupted code

Post by drswoboda »

Hi Jay,

I was adding in a new object for Reflex Defense and when I exited I got the corrupted message.

Looking at the code I see that a few tags got messed up, in particular, some of the closing tags are wrong and an open tag for SCRIPT is missing.

Code: Select all

<property name="reflexDefence" type="MAP" group="Defense">
        <description>Your Reflex Defense (Ref) represents how hard you are to hit in combat, and most attacks target a creature&apos;s Reflex Defence.

Def = 10 + heroic level or armor bonus + Dex modifier + class bonus + natural armor bonus + size modifer</description>
        <properties>
          <property name="base" type="SCRIPT">
            <description>Base value. This is equal to 10.</description>
            <script>base = base +10</script>
          </property>
          <property name="current" type="SCRIPT">
            <script>base + floor(root.heroicLevel/2) + dex.currentMod + userMod + root.size.sizeModifier</script>
          </property>
          <property name="classBonus" type="NUMBER"/>
          <property name="totalModifiers" type="SCRIPT">
            <script/>
          </property>
          <property name="modifiers" type="LIST">
            <property/>
          </property>
          <property name="userMod" type="NUMBER"/>
        </properties>
      </property>

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The portion of the XML that you posted looks fine. The tag <script> is an empty script that is fine in XML but is probably what my code is complaining about. I'll have to take a look.

The other problem that you might have is that <script>base = base + 10</script> will add 10 to the base value every time it is evaluated. It is not the value 10 which is what you say it is in the description. <script>10</script> or <script>base = 10</script> will do this.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Hi Jay,

Yeah it is funny, as you say the code does seem to be valid, but it defiantly does not get past your parser. Having had numerous crashes the other day, and my level of knowledge as it is, I was hunting and pecking to figure out what was killing the load. With that code it will not load.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the shorthand version of closing tags like this: <property name="userMod" type="NUMBER"/> It always seem to be when I get that code added that it fails to load.

Thanks for the note about the calculation. I was just messing around a bit, in between crashes. Mostly trying to figure out how things worked. I have noted the proper form as you stated

I did start working on a modified FORM in abeilleforms. But as you said I lost all the buttons functionality at this time. What was also funny was that I was having issues getting vars to print. What was weird was if I changed one of your values, it would not work, even with the same text retyped in the cell. Then like magic it started to work again after a few more loads and re-saves.

Then, there was a corrupt file crash again and my form quit functioning again. At that time I turned off the PC and had a beer.

Question. If there is an improper value name in the form, can that cause other values to stop working? I would not think so, but it did seem that might be the case.

By the way, I have been editing the forms in v2 of abeilleforms.

I am so intrigued by what Init Tool will do in the future and I am really itching to get something working as soon as I can, so I can use it in my new campaign. But as you said it is still very much in flux and the editor is a bit of a ticking time bomb that you really do have to use a text ed to do things or pay the piper when it crashes.

Did you happen to see my post about why my custom Reflex Defense does not calculate and show in the default form. That little issue has me perplexed as all my other new vars do show up in the form.

Another possible area to look into the corruption issue is that I have been putting a LOT of text in the description area, to use as a sort of poor man's comments. Sometimes I have used carraige returns on lines. Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks,
-David

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

I have probably jumped into this idea of making a SW Saga template way too early. I am finding the editor way too unstable for even easy changes.

For instance, today I tried to add a new combatant category using the UI. That was all I did. Then I saved and reloaded and the file was corrupt.

So then I flipped over to my text ed, in which I keep the most current working file (in case the file gets corrupted) and look for the area this code is added. I copied the PC section and made some name changes. Loaded the file and I had a new category. Then I decided to change the color of the combatant. I used the UI. Chose a color and saved and reloaded. Blam. Corrupted again. So into the file with my editor, to change the color and of course it wants hex and the color picker in the UI gave me decimal. Okay get out the translator...

Jay, is there any eta on a new build of Init Tool?

As much as I am intriged by the possibilities of IT, I fear that it is far too early to actually try an do this unless I can do everything in a text editor, which at this point, I can't as I need to see the UI to figure out stuff that is fuzzy. I want to keep working on this, but I am really banging my head up against the wall on a regular basis.

I think I need to forget using a modifed version for my Star Wars game until the software matures a bit more. I hope the development IT can keep pace with MT, as it has great possibility.

I'm stubborn enough to keep poking around if I don't waste too much time at it.

"Help me Obi Wan, your my only hope."

-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It is a little early to start using the 1.1 version. The game file editor isn't keeping up with the functionality changes I have been making as I implement games other than D&D. There are still too many changes being made to the XML files to create a UI that edits it.

I'm not sure when the next release will be. I've had a lot of RL problems of late and they are keeping me form working on it.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Thanks Jay, I'll keep checking back. I hope the RL situation smooths out for you and that IT can continue onward.

See ya around the virtual table.
-David

Return to “InitiativeTool”