SWS game settings progress.

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

drswoboda wrote:Thanks for the reply. Say that is strange that it would not load on your system as I am using v1.1b2 from the download pages. Is it the form that doesn't load, or the game settings that barfs? I am also using the standard download of Abeille along with the addons you posted. Strange.
The game settings wouldn't load. I don't have a working 1.1b2 environment so I just downloaded it from the site. It might have been a problem with my file system having b3 stuff on it. The form loaded in Abeille just fine.
drswoboda wrote:Okay, you nailed it the column heads. That did the trick and I now have my column headings back. One more note about the custom CharSheetTable component. I can't find a way to adjust the font or size of the column headings, is there a way to do that at present. If not, that would be a good addition. Also, to allow a multi-line col heading would be great.
Glad that fixed the problem. You can't change fonts on the table header because it is a completely different component. I can probably hack something together however. You should be able to use the <html> trick in the display name of the property to get your multiple lines. I don't know if that will mess anything else up.
drswoboda wrote:Re: The editable fields in CharSheetTable, thanks for the heads up on this issue. I had a thought when you mentioned the BOOLEAN property. I'm not sure I remember seeing you use that property in the D&D settings yet. Can I use that property along with a CheckBox on a form? I have a few properties that would be perfect for a check box on the sheet.
There is support for a check box on a boolean value. I don't know how well it has been tested so just tell me if you can't get it to work.
drswoboda wrote:Re: The row Tool Tips idea. Will depending on your final data set design, I'd opt for having the ability to use either the DESCRIPTION or better yet, an ALT DESCRIPTION field for a Skill, Feat, Talent, Weapon or Armor. That way I can code a detailed comment or game mechanic into a tool tip for the selected item in the list.
I can do that. I'll probably hold off on adding a second description. I have been thinking about a way to use property values as tool tips, maybe something like that would work. I can also add scripts to do that.
drswoboda wrote:Re: The pulling of weapon/armor data to sheet via a JComboBox selection. Thanks for the heads up here. This is where I'll probably have to wait due to my limited programming abilities and see what you come up with in the future builds. For now I will probably just do a manual entry for the data until the lookup idea can work. I think this is a big area of the design document. Having lists of data and being able to pull it easily for display on the sheet is a huge benifit.
I agree. It was my next new big thing to work. I have a lot of the support I just need to make it easy to get to from Abeille.
drswoboda wrote:I started hacking around with IT with the current version because I saw the beginnings of a user modifiable electronic initiative and character data sheet tool. I am pleasently surprised that I have almost got it in a rough form to track my Star Wars battle data. There is no other tool I have found that allows this type of flexibility to the end user. Kudos to you guys for writing this cool tool.
Thanks!

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Hey Jay, back a few replies you showed me the some RPScript syntax. I'm trying to guess what the proper format to a new formula.

I have a JCheckBox on the form which is labeled swsRangedCombat.shootIntoMelee

I have the corresponding property set to a BOOLEAN.

I am trying this as a formula in a calculation:
if(eq(shootIntoMelee, 'True'), -5, 0)

I don't seem to have it right as it always evaluates to '0'. The checkbox property is correctly evaluating to True/False so that part works.

Can you straighten me out here :)
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I should just be:

Code: Select all

if(shootIntoMelee, -5, 0)
This works too:

Code: Select all

if(eq(shootIntoMelee, true()), -5. 0)
So if you ever need a true or false value for some reason you can use true() and false() in RPScript.
Last edited by jay on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Excellent, works great. The Frankenstein sheet is progressing nicely.

Thanks,
-David

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Hi Jay,

I probably should have made a new topic for this question.

I remember reading in some thread that you use or are familiar with DM Genie. I love that program and think its just fantastic. But with real-life the developer is not able to put much work into it of late. And it doesn't do Star Wars.

One of the features in DMG that I would love to see make it into IT is the conditions features and UI. That is so darn helpful in running combat.

I am starting to add these kind of conditions to my settings and form. Things like Surprise, ShootIntoMelee, Fight Defensively. . . It will work ok as you have all(most?) of the hooks needed in your code already. But if there was a built in feature for doing this in IT it would be killer. I am doing it with tabbed areas in the sheet, but that will be some work. Having it as a core of IT, that would be cool. And having the conditions display in the combatant list like DMG, that would be so cool.

What do you think about this as a possibility IT?

-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I had been setting up timers w/in IT to act as conditions. They were set up so that while the timer was ticking all of the modifiers attached to the condition were applied to all of the combatants that were associated with the timer. This would handle many of the spell effects very well. You can tell the conditions that are applied to a single combatant by looking at the timers associated with that combatant.

You can test this by creating a timer in a D&D encounter with a type of 'Condition' and the name of a supported spell like "fox's cunning" which will boost int by 4. You should be able to do this for any condition that is entered into the modifier.rpdat file.

If there is something else that you had in mind we can discuss how it works here.

drswoboda
Dragon

Discussion of conditions implementation in IT.

Post by drswoboda »

Hi Jay,

To help the continuing discussion of conditions in IT, I have posted two screen grabs of how DM Genie approaches this task here: http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/drswoboda/

To preface the conversation, I'll say that I don't know what I would change in the DMG implementation of the task. I think it is 'near perfect' in approach and execution in both pre-game and in-game use. Off the top more powerful scripting would be my first request to Janik if he does more updates.

I do understand the area of 'IP' concerning other programmer's ideas, but I think there is plenty here that can be incorporated into IT without someone shouting "rip-off". And it might even be a complement to DMG for getting it so right. And perhaps contacting the DMG author and chatting might make for good PR for both projects.

Any way, that said I have tried what you posted about IT conditions as timers. While I did not get it to actually recognize a condition from modifiers.rpdat, I did get the basic idea behind the concept. And it appears it would work OK.

However, at present, I think IT falls behind DMG in several major areas of conditions display.

The first is how fast things can be set up in real time as the DM runs the combat. DMG wins hands down in that area. One big difference is the super fast ability to "manually" turn on and off a condition in what I would term a manual timer. There is the 'pre-set" conditions panel, which is part of that fast manual mode of DMG. That is a major feature in my mind. There are MANY times I don't need or want a real timer running a condition. Cover, Flanking, Prone, Fatigue, Grappling and LOS come to mind immediately. There are many other times I just want to flip a switch to quickly set a known condition. For setting conditions to multiple combatants, DMG is like IT in that there is a UI dialog when needed.

As part of DMG's condition setting dialog, all the pre-existing conditions are listed in the UI. This is also a major factor to its ease of use.

Custom conditions can be set from the Conditions panel with out having an existing preset at game time. Huge help at times. Later you set up real condition as a preset. There are times when just a text note condition is all you need, with no actual programable effect inacted. This all happens without going to a seperate dialog box like in the current IT setup. I can near instantly set over 20 preset conditions in the time it would take me to setup one or two in IT. This is big time saver during the game. Prior to my using DMG I would skip many uses of conditons in our gaming as it was just too labor intensive to micro manage. With DMG I use them all the time in our games and it is super easy and does 95% of all the work for me as DM.

The amount of visuall feedback in DMG is currently far superior to the current IT setup. This is what most DMs want. More rules feedback. I understand that there are copyright issues, but a real power user will type in as much data as a program will allow them to display.

I like the DMG layout for the combatants better than the current IT. I like the display of the Target, HP, AC/DEF and the notes and conditions for each combatant. The pop up help text is simply wonderful and worth the price of admission alone.

Then there is the display of annotated text with the conditions, visible without having to call a dialog. Simply fantasitc from a DM point of view.

I am still on the fense in how IT displays a timer/condition in its UI. It is an added task in the list. I am talking conditions now. In DMG it is attached to the combatant display, not a new list item. This is a big visual difference. To me this makes more sense and with the DMG display, is easer to see who is affected by what. Either in the notes field, the popup notes, the conditions UI panel on the right, or the view/edit conditions dialog. The location of the timer in the list is less important to me, (assuming the program knows where and when to do its job) than it is too know WHO is affected by the timer/condition and what it is doing in game terms.

In the current IT, there is no visual feedback of who the timer is attached to without opening the timer object. (or is there something I missed?)

I would really like to see a lot of the best parts (heck I'm greedy and want ALL) of DMG conditions in IT. Where the character sheet is now, make this a tabbed area. Now we can flip between the sheet and some combat data pages, like conditions. These pages dynamically update as each combatant is selected like in DMG. So I can flip down the line of creatures and see/set conditions very easily.

A programmer friend of mine always comments about not reinventing the wheel; to look and assimulate the best existing Borg Collective ideas coupled with your great new ideas to make a superb product. For D&D type round and combat tracking, DMG, in my opinion, has set the gold standard. I would love to see IT set the Open Framework standard.

Of course, IT is open ended and DMG is not. It will take a fancy UI to build the conditions panel because the game type will change. But I am sure you guys at RPTools can figure that all out.

I would like to continue this discussion and hear what you and other forum users have to say on these issues. The IT forums have only a small amount of the RPTools traffic in comparision to Map Tool, and I think it deserves far more attention and input as it is, in my opinion, as important, (or even more important) than the mapping tools while running a modern, complex RPG game.

Thanks for the hard work.
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

IT isn't anywhere near complete in its condition support. I know that there are a lot of things that need to be added. I've used DM Genie to GM as well and didn't like it's initiative tracking so much that I wrote IT. The conditions are another thing though. The way it displays the modifiers for each condition is nice. I don't really care for the way they enter the conditions. I was hoping to get IT/CT to add the conditions automatically when a spell is cast or a player makes use of a feat. All I really want to do is to cast a spell, identify who is affected, then let the scripts in the spell roll saves (or allow the players to enter them for manual die rolling) and apply conditions. This is the type of automation I am shooting for. I do agree that there need to be lists of conditions and spells available and they are in the plans. They have to be simple to create and simple to access from the forms.

Displaying conditions will have to be done on the game forms. I need to create a component that lets you see what timers are applied to a combatant. I have that support in the default index card, but you can't really add it to the game specific index card forms. It will have to show whatever the GM needs to see which would include all of the modifiers for conditions. You can already add tabs to the form if you wish. I think that you have done this in one of your forms. The tabbed forms work just like the non-tabbed forms except that the user can select different views of the data by selecting different tabs. The form designer can choose what is important for their game. I had also thought about having programmable tool tips that would show what modifiers were applied to each value. That way if you looked at the to-hit value you could see the calculation that was done and which modifiers are applied.

I have also been designing how the combatant display can be modified by the game file. I was thinking that there would be 2 different ways to define this content. The first would be to define what columns are displayed. The second would be to define a form that can be used to display the combatants and timers.

The timers were designed to have line items in the initiative because the initiative when a spell effect expires is dependent on the initiative that it was cast and not on the initiative of the combatant that cast it. A combatant can perform actions that change their initiative, but that shouldn't change how their spells are working. If they bug you, and I can see how they would, just mark them as hidden and all of their work will happen in the background. With the new scripting support you will be able to use them to do damage every round and to have them remove any conditions automatically.

I like these types of discussions because it gives me another point of view into the needs of all games. I don't claim to know everything about gaming so these are valuable insights to what others are needing. It is the only way to make IT into something that the most people can use.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Hi Jay,

Its good to get a little insight into where your planning on taking IT in the future. It does look exciting. I do fear that its development will be a much longer path than MT due the inherent complexities of the base system and its open format. It appears it will be worth the wait, and I am very eager to see it come to form. I think what I have put together so far in v1.1 will tide me over in Star Wars until the full system comes together. I needed to prove to myself that in the current form it was better than my current flash card system as far as giving me access to information easily. I think what I am cobbling together so far has meet that goal.

I really hope that the forum members really start taking a good look at what you have put together and start some great discussions about what would make IT an even better program in the future.

I have been wondering about documentation for IT. It will be a real beast I imagine. Documenting both the ideas behind the implementation and the scripting language and the forms creation will be a lot of work. I'm guessing this might require an effort from the community to make it manageable and still make progress on the program itself. I am really hoping that you do add the ability to comment in the files and that you can comment as much of the basic structure as possible as you do your coding. I have some programming background, but not as a profession. I can see there will be two types of users of IT. The casual DM user and the programmer/tweaker user who wants to extend or customize the game settings. That is quite a bit different than the MT user profile, at least until MT rolls in the scripting features. MT's user base is the player and the map maker. And in my eyes the map maker has a big task, but it is a lot easier to map than to setup a custom game file. IT will require a fair amount of documentation to educate the user to its powers.

I'll continue to toss out my thoughts until you get tired of reading them :)
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm glad that it is working for you so far. Don't hesitate to ask for something you need quickly. I may not be able to get to it right away, but I can at least raise it's priority.

I'm hoping for more input as well. It makes things much easier to code and keeps me motivated.

Documentation will be a pain. It takes a long time to do and it isn't a whole lot of fun. In the past I have waited until I was done with new features to write it up. It's probably still too early to start right now. I think that so many things will still change.

I seriously doubt that I'll get tired of them. They make me want to code again. In fact I started debugging again last night. So keep up the good work! :wink:

Return to “InitiativeTool”