The defaultMonsters.rpdat file

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

drswoboda
Dragon

The defaultMonsters.rpdat file

Post by drswoboda »

Hi Jay,

I was looking at the defaultMonsters.rpdat file this morning and had a few questions regarding the feats information.

I'm wondering if you would elaborate on the plans for handling data like this down the road, as it may pertain to characters.

I see that the feats are a simple csv format which is simple and easy to parse. But what it would lack is a component for holding information about the feat, such as a description. I am wondering if there are any plans for dealing with this type of data more like is done in PCGen, where there is a series of feat.lst files, that describe the properties of the feats. That way feats could be listed in tables on the character sheet and the description (or other data) could be pulled for a tool tip, calculations or perhaps (if IT and CT merge) for printing.

This would of course hold for things like spells, talents, special abilities, weapons, armor and such. Right now I have done something like this for the weapons and armor, in the settings file, but as discussed, I ahve not figured out how to display it back to the form as of yet.

Just curious as to the path for the future.
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The idea is to set up rpdat files that describe the feats that can be used to lookup the feat names in the defaultMonsters file. That is how I plan to handle all lists of items such as armor, weapons, items etc.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Great. I'm looking forward to the future advances. I am still amazed that the core of IT seems very powerfull even in this early stage.
-David

Return to “InitiativeTool”