Basic post

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've been working on the GURPS game setting file and I have a couple of questions. There seem to be some discrepancies between the GURPS Lite rules (which are all that I have) and the character sheet that wrathchild posted a link to above.
  • I am assuming that the spaces between the square brackets on the from contain the number points spent during character creation. Is that correct or am I waaaaaay off :)
  • If it is, do you use the character points during game play or just during character creation? I ask because they take up a lot of room. I was thinking about moving them to a secondary tab that could be more geared towards character creation.
  • I need space for things like temporary modifiers. I assume GURPS supports things like this? I saw the injury penalties to movement, what are the other temporary modifiers and where do they apply? (Attributes, derived attributes, move, lift, damage, DR, parry, skills, etc), The lite rules don't have too much in the way of information on that.
  • Why don't the Reaction Modifiers have spaces for points? Those properties cost character points in the Lite rules.
  • There are a lot of these character point boxes on values that the Lite rules doesn't seem to have points. The ones that are missing are HP, Will, Per, FP, Basic Speed, Basic Move.
  • If the list above does allow points to be spend could someone post what the costs are for each of them?
  • Cultural familiarities don't seem to be in the Lite rules (or I just missed them). Could some one describe those for me?
  • Is there any other rules that aren't in the Lite version that you need added?
Thanks for your help!

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

jay wrote:I've been working on the GURPS game setting file and I have a couple of questions. There seem to be some discrepancies between the GURPS Lite rules (which are all that I have) and the character sheet that wrathchild posted a link to above.
  • I am assuming that the spaces between the square brackets on the from contain the number points spent during character creation. Is that correct or am I waaaaaay off :)
  • If it is, do you use the character points during game play or just during character creation? I ask because they take up a lot of room. I was thinking about moving them to a secondary tab that could be more geared towards character creation.
Those are the points spent on each attribute/skill/advantage or gained (shown as a negative) for disadvantages. As bonus points are awarded during the campaign, they can be used to improve attributes, skills and advantages and to buy off disadvantages.
jay wrote:
  • I need space for things like temporary modifiers. I assume GURPS supports things like this? I saw the injury penalties to movement, what are the other temporary modifiers and where do they apply? (Attributes, derived attributes, move, lift, damage, DR, parry, skills, etc), The lite rules don't have too much in the way of information on that.
Visibility, Encumbrance, Fatigue, Situational just to name four. Size, Speed, Range, Extra Effort to name four more. Posting more detail would not fall under fair use rules. Lite is intentionally light on rules.
jay wrote:
  • Why don't the Reaction Modifiers have spaces for points? Those properties cost character points in the Lite rules.
Reaction Modifiers are based on Advantages and Disadvantages. Like Voice 1 [10] gives a conditional modifier: +2 when Voice can be heard. You put Voice 1 [10] under Advantages and then record "+2 when Voice can be heard" in the Reaction Modifiers box on the first line below Reputation.

jay wrote:
  • There are a lot of these character point boxes on values that the Lite rules doesn't seem to have points. The ones that are missing are HP, Will, Per, FP, Basic Speed, Basic Move.
  • If the list above does allow points to be spend could someone post what the costs are for each of them?
Yes, you can buy up and buy down each item you listed but, again, you'll have to get at least Basic Set: Characters (although I'd get both Characters and Campaigns in the PDF bundle). Lite is an intentional teaser.
jay wrote:
  • Cultural familiarities don't seem to be in the Lite rules (or I just missed them). Could some one describe those for me?
Essentially, how familiar is the character with the general customs of the area? A 19th century character from the US might have CF (Wild West) and would be at a terrible disadvantage during a Japanese tea ceremony. Again, for all the gory details see the full Basic Set.
jay wrote:
  • Is there any other rules that aren't in the Lite version that you need added?
The entire chapter on Tables (B547-562) covers everything from Random Hit Locations to NPC Reactions. B360-361 covers Will rolls and Fright Checks.

GURPS Lite is designed to just barely give a taste of the rules and leave you wanting more.

Something that would be helpful to your understanding the way the character sheet works (without grabbing the books) is to look at fully designed characters that have been posted online. Here are a couple of different takes on Dr. Henry (yup, that one) Jones:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=40525
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=40577
A wandering lost soul

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Naryt wrote:Visibility, Encumbrance, Fatigue, Situational just to name four. Size, Speed, Range, Extra Effort to name four more. Posting more detail would not fall under fair use rules. Lite is intentionally light on rules.
I don't want to do anything that doesn't fall under fair use rules. Is anybody still interested in a game settings file that can only play GURPS Lite? I can't afford to buy the rules since my group doesn't play that game.

Durnil
Kobold

Post by Durnil »

jay wrote:It's not very easy to do yet, the editor with IT only handles some of the functionality and not all of it. There isn't any documentation to read yet either. I've been talking with two of the other users and helping them make their own game settings files. I need to post those as the beginning of some documentation.
Hate to bump, but this is something I'm looking for as well, so I can make a decent sheet for D&D4e. If you could provide this, that would be great. Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Welcome Durnil!

The editor is coming along very slowly. Most of that is because I've been working on the GURPS file and a D&D4e file.

Here are some threads about creating a new settings file and forms:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Durnil
Kobold

Post by Durnil »

jay wrote:Welcome Durnil!

The editor is coming along very slowly. Most of that is because I've been working on the GURPS file and a D&D4e file
Rather than working on a parallel project, is there any way I can help with a D&D4e file?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Sure is, but it isn't a whole lot of fun. There is a bunch of data that has to be entered; feats, powers, races, classes, etc. There is a little bit of scripting involved, but in general it is pretty simple stuff. If you, or anybody else, is interested just PM me and I'll send you something to work on.

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

I would really like to have an IT setting for the german RPG "The Dark Eye".

But also, I believe, content creation like this should not be done by coders (their time is too valuable for that, they should be doing the things that nobody else can do).

So, is there an ETA on that editor?

Or, a generic tutorial for hand-editing the files?

Highland_Piper
Cave Troll

Post by Highland_Piper »

So is the Init Tool for GURPS dead? Just wondering.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Not dead, but not being actively worked either. I only have the Lite rules which I had started working with. I asked for clarifications and was told that wasn't part of the Lite rules so they couldn't help. That is where I left it. If you would be able to help work on it I would be happy to get it going again.

Highland_Piper
Cave Troll

Post by Highland_Piper »

Well what can I do to help? I'd be more than happy to help in any way that I can. If I don't know how to do it then I can learn.

Return to “InitiativeTool”