Moving 1.1b2 data to 1.1b3 - new zip archive format

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

drswoboda
Dragon

Moving 1.1b2 data to 1.1b3 - new zip archive format

Post by drswoboda »

Hey Jay,

I started to look at the new 1.1b3 tonight. First thing I found out was if you don't kill/delete the .inittoolDbg directory before running the new version your going to get a ton of errors loading. At least I did with my old install for Star Wars game file.

My first big question in this version is about the archive format of the .rpgame file.

There are a lot of files and bunch of directories in this file. What is the procedure to build a new data file now? Do I have to edit my file and then zip it up and then run IT. If so, that seems like a huge PITA to test out files. Especially for a guy like me who changes a few lines and then tests to make sure what I did works.

Can you give pointers on how to proceed.

Also, will I have to redo all my abille forms that I made in v1.1b2 since you updated the components?

Thanks,
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

First off I need to apologize. I thought I had replied to this message days ago and I must have forgotten to post it.

The new format is a zip file. I unzip the file and make changes to the extracted files. Then I run a script to .zip it back up before I fun IT. If you restart IT and tell it to look at the new zip file it will remember and then every time you restart IT it picks up the changes. This works well for me. I also have a free program called Zip Genius that lets me edit the files in place. I don't know if any of the other zip file readers do that however.

If you don't want to stop and start IT, you can go to the Game settings dialog and open one of the other game settings files and then re-open yours. I tend to just restart IT because it will automatically re-load my encounter file as well as the new settings. Changing the game settings will erase that.

If you would like I will convert your old file into the new format. I really just chopped up the one big xml file into a lot of little ones and then added places for the data and forms files. I've also added a place for images so that you can use them on your forms. You had asked earlier about linked forms, you should be able to do this now as well.

You do not have to change your forms at all. I just added some extra support to the components, but didn't break backwards compatibility. You can now write scripts to update the component for the value placed inside it. It lets you do things like draw a colored border around hit pints as they change.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Thanks Jay,

I think I'll take you up on the offer to convert my files, so that I have a good starting base for working with the new version.

You mentioned a script to do the zipping after editing, can you post that or elaborate on that a bit. Or, I like the idea of editing in the .zip with that prog you mentioned. Is that a better route? Can I do that while still using Notepad++?

I'll email you my files.
Thanks again,
-David

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

drswoboda wrote:I think I'll take you up on the offer to convert my files, so that I have a good starting base for working with the new version.
Cool
drswoboda wrote:You mentioned a script to do the zipping after editing, can you post that or elaborate on that a bit. Or, I like the idea of editing in the .zip with that prog you mentioned. Is that a better route? Can I do that while still using Notepad++?
It's nor really a script but part of the build system I use in development. Zip Genius has a command line app so you could write a batch file to run it. You could also right click the directory that you extracted the game files to and choose Send To --> Compressed file. IT doesn't care if you load a file named .zip, just select All Files at the bottom of the File Selection Dialog.

Return to “InitiativeTool”