Lookup table broke

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

kat2cute
Dragon

Lookup table broke

Post by kat2cute »

Strange things happened on the way to play with Init Tool... The lookup tables randomly completely broke. Trying to use the lookup table has been getting me a very generic popup window that says ERROR!, with no reason. This is very strange, as I was using this build (1.1.b3) before without this type of error, and haven't changed anything about the program or it's folder since then. The lookup window partially freezes after the error in that you can only close it by using the X button in the window corner.
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with it. Hopefully I'll get the next version out early next week. You might want to try deleting the .inittool directory and restarting IT. Sometimes when it freezes and you kill the program a file might get messed up. On windows the directory is: C:\Document and Settings\<user_name>\.inittool

Something else you might try, if you can get the lookup tables to display again, is to hide the 'Token' column in the lookup table. To do this select the small table icon just above the vertical scroll bar and un-check the 'Token' column. You shouldn't have to do it every time, the code should save what you have chosen. That should fix any image problems you might be having. If it doesn't fix it you might want to get a stack trace. Thank you very much for your help in debugging the problem.

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

The ERROR problem seems to have mysteriously fixed itself. I did look up in my C:\Document and Settings\<user_name>\ directory and noticed there were 2 separate folders, one called .inittool and the other .inittoolDbg. Preliminary glances at both make me think the .inittool is an old folder for the old version (as it contains some customized monster lists I made), while the .inittoolDbg is the newer version. Is this something that would cause problems?

Still having freezing issues, and getting rid of every token column I can find doesn't seem to help much

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Yes, .inittoolDbg is for the new and .inittool is for the older version. I mistakenly told you to remove the wrong folder. :oops: I hope that didn't mess anything else up. Having both directories is not a problem. I separated them so that you could test with 1.1 and not mess up the 1.0 configuration.

If hiding the images doesn't fix the problem then I'm not sure what could be causing the hangs. I'll look into this some more and see what I can find out.

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

I tried deselecting tokens from all columns and deleting the .inittoolDbg folder and the program is still, and now very constantly, freezing when using the lookup table. The process runs relatively fine through the actual table now, and even through the confirmation window, but will freeze right before the names are to be put into the init screen. Because this is relatively constant for me (it happens more than half the time), maybe it will be easier to fix. It seems to happens slightly more often when I actually type a monster name to search in the lookup table (ie: goblin). In the meantime, I guess I'll try deleting and re-downloading the zip file.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I have looked into it some more and found out that hiding the columns doesn't keep the images from loading. That will be fixed in the next release. I also updated the image cache to be a little smarter, but I still have a memory leak dealing with the images. I'll work on that some more, but it might take awhile to find. So I will do some cleanup on what I have finished now and then release it. That way you should be able to at least use IT.

Until the, something else you might try is to run IT from the command line. You can specify some extra parameters to bump up the amount of memory. You have to download the zip file from RPTools website and extract all of the files. Then open a command window and change to the directory where you extracted the files. Then run this command:

Code: Select all

java -Xmx256M -jar initiativetool-1.1.b3.jar
This has the added benefit of giving a console so that you can see any exceptions thrown by the program. These can be very useful in helping me find bugs.

I appreciate the help you are giving me in fixing this bug!

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

Wow, I'm not very good with the command prompt, but I eventually got it. I wouldn't know what to change to get different things (though I'm thinking I could substitute -Xmx256M with -Xmx1G). First thing that pops into the window:
<i>
TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
</i>
When using the Lookup window, I got it to freeze, but no text popped up in the command prompt. Hope that helps.

tiger_tim_gamer
Kobold

Post by tiger_tim_gamer »

Just wanted to say that I was having the same problem as above (init tool would freeze just before adding a creature from the look up table).

I upgraded to vers. 1.0.b24 but still had the problem. Then I deleted the .inittool file from my C:Documents and Settings\User and it is now working fine.

Cheers

tiger_tim_gamer
Kobold

:cry: Dooh! I may have spoke to soon. I had it working, but it locked up again. After playing around with it. I just don't think my PC has the power needed to deal with the list. Oh well.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The problem that kat was having had to do with the image cache not working in 1.1 version of IT. I've fixed it in the 1.1 version, but not in 1.0 since it is pretty much frozen. So it might not be a problem with your computer but with the old code. If you are able to run 1.1 of IT, see if the problem is fixed for you there.

tiger_tim_gamer
Kobold

Thanks, I spent about 2 hours last night playing around with it trying to get it to work, but I was using 1.0.b24.

I will give 1.1 a try and let you know how that works.

Thanks for the help.

tiger_tim_gamer
Kobold

OK, Last night I loaded up the latest version of inittools and hit 'look up'. I think it's still clocking :D

Seriously, I tried it on 2 PCs, but both are old, 1 is about 5 years old and the other 3. Neither were top of the line even when I got them, so I suspect that the real issue is my hardware, not the program.

As the lookup is not critical to my need and just a nice bell and whistle, I think I am going to just let it be for now.

Cheers

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I'm having problems with lookup tables in 1.1b5. The lookup freezes when I click the button. I've deleted the .inittooldbg folder, too. I also get an error regarding the lookup table when I try to load a game settings file.

I noticed, too, that IT doesn't seem to start at first run with a default game settings file loaded.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

There is a bug in b5. It will be fixed in b6. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

jay wrote:There is a bug in b5. It will be fixed in b6. Sorry for the inconvenience!
In which version does it actually work? I ask because there is a discussion about creating and sharing rptok files complete with macros, and I thought we could export the lookups as a starting point.

Return to “InitiativeTool”