Initiative in 1.1.b.4

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

kat2cute
Dragon

Initiative in 1.1.b.4

Post by kat2cute »

I was playing with manual vs automatic initiative in version 1.1b4 and noticed what might be a bug.

When using manual initiative as the selected option, the popup screen says that leaving the manual entry field blank will cause it to automatically roll for you. For some reason, this popup screen appears twice. It updates the init list for the PCs after the first iteration of the popup screen, but not the NPCs (if they are not selected for manual entry). Therefore all the data has to be reentered the second time the popup appears, otherwise leaving it blank will randomly roll as stated. I guess the alternative would be ignoring the first popup window and only entering the data the second time it appears, but this is probably a bug.

The program also doesn't seem to be correctly calculating init for NPCs from the lookup table. For example, I tried manual init entry for a couple of human skeletons from the lookup table. Their info says that have +1 init, but the manual entry form says they are +0, and calculates it so. I'm guessing it is forgetting to add the init mod when it automatically rolls init for NPCS too (though it definitely works for PCs). Looking at the NPC sheet closer with the edit command, their modifier is indeed listed as 0 rather than 1. This bug will require updating the Lookup table database to read the init modifier from the initiative column in the table.

Even when manually entering a value for some PCs I created in a group, it shows that they are supposed to have +2/+3 for their init mod in the popup, but this value does not seem to actually get added in when they get put in the init line-up. Does the manual method not automatically add their bonus to the value entered, so it is expecting them to add that value in before telling me? If so, this should be stated as such.
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Initiative in 1.1.b.4

Post by jay »

kat2cute wrote:When using manual initiative as the selected option, the popup screen says that leaving the manual entry field blank will cause it to automatically roll for you. For some reason, this popup screen appears twice. It updates the init list for the PCs after the first iteration of the popup screen, but not the NPCs (if they are not selected for manual entry). Therefore all the data has to be reentered the second time the popup appears, otherwise leaving it blank will randomly roll as stated. I guess the alternative would be ignoring the first popup window and only entering the data the second time it appears, but this is probably a bug.
It shouldn't pop up twice at the start of an encounter. I can't seem to recreate it popping up twice. Could you email me the encounter you are using? Were you setting initiative manually for PC's NPC's or both?
kat2cute wrote:The program also doesn't seem to be correctly calculating init for NPCs from the lookup table. For example, I tried manual init entry for a couple of human skeletons from the lookup table. Their info says that have +1 init, but the manual entry form says they are +0, and calculates it so. I'm guessing it is forgetting to add the init mod when it automatically rolls init for NPCS too (though it definitely works for PCs). Looking at the NPC sheet closer with the edit command, their modifier is indeed listed as 0 rather than 1. This bug will require updating the Lookup table database to read the init modifier from the initiative column in the table.
This is a bug that I introduced when I started calculating initiative modifiers instead of just entering them. There are two different things going on with the same value. There is the generic modifier added to all combatants which is an editable number. Then there is a custom property calculated modifier that takes into account dexterity and feats. I'll add a way to show the calculated value in the game settings file and then use the base init tool modifier in the calculation for the custom property. That way every thing should work the way it is supposed to work.
kat2cute wrote:Even when manually entering a value for some PCs I created in a group, it shows that they are supposed to have +2/+3 for their init mod in the popup, but this value does not seem to actually get added in when they get put in the init line-up. Does the manual method not automatically add their bonus to the value entered, so it is expecting them to add that value in before telling me? If so, this should be stated as such.
It doesn't add any modifiers when you enter initiative manually. I have updated the instructions to show this.

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

I emailed you my encounter file, but I doubt you will find my same error for it. The reason: when I saved, closed and reopened the file myself, the window only popped up once. however, when I recreated the situation from scratch (saved group and lookup table), the error occurred again. Don't really know why, but you might have to try doing this manual initiative entry on a non-saved file.
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

kat2cute wrote:I emailed you my encounter file, but I doubt you will find my same error for it. The reason: when I saved, closed and reopened the file myself, the window only popped up once. however, when I recreated the situation from scratch (saved group and lookup table), the error occurred again. Don't really know why, but you might have to try doing this manual initiative entry on a non-saved file.
I found this bug and it will be fixed in the next release. I wasn't setting things up correctly and some older code that should have been removed was hiding that. Manual initiative should be working again after the next build.

Return to “InitiativeTool”