multiple monitors

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

kat2cute
Dragon

multiple monitors

Post by kat2cute »

Something I noticed that would be nice to fix for future builds. When I play, I use multiple monitors temporarily hooked up to my laptop. Invariably, Maptool gets the main screen while pdfs and InitTool get put on the second screen. I noticed that InitTool (and Ventrillo too, for that matter), both seem to have memory of the place on your screen/s they were before closing. So when I deconstruct my game setup and am trying to use Inittool with just my laptop, it opens to the second monitor, which happens to not be there. There isn't any way I have figured out how to move it back into the viewable screen without re-hooking up the second monitor again and dragging it back onto the main screen. Could you get rid of the screen memory placement of the program, or maybe have it sense if the monitor it is supposed to be on is not currently enabled so that it defaults to a different position?
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Re: multiple monitors

Post by Amaril »

kat2cute wrote:Something I noticed that would be nice to fix for future builds. When I play, I use multiple monitors temporarily hooked up to my laptop. Invariably, Maptool gets the main screen while pdfs and InitTool get put on the second screen. I noticed that InitTool (and Ventrillo too, for that matter), both seem to have memory of the place on your screen/s they were before closing. So when I deconstruct my game setup and am trying to use Inittool with just my laptop, it opens to the second monitor, which happens to not be there. There isn't any way I have figured out how to move it back into the viewable screen without re-hooking up the second monitor again and dragging it back onto the main screen. Could you get rid of the screen memory placement of the program, or maybe have it sense if the monitor it is supposed to be on is not currently enabled so that it defaults to a different position?
In Windows:
  1. Right-click on the taskbar button for the respective application.
  2. Select Move (or Restore then Move if the application was maximized).
  3. Tap an arrow key once.
  4. Move the mouse cursor to drag the window onto the screen.
[/list]

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Or use right-click->Maximize. That should force it to the current screen too.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

torstan wrote:Or use right-click->Maximize. That should force it to the current screen too.
But if you restore it, won't it jump back to offscreen?

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

No, it stays on the active screen for me. I dont know why it works like this, I just know that it does!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I actually just removed the code that did the check for offscreen positioning because it was taking it forever to run. It was something like 30sec on Vista. I replaced it with something that was simpler to check, but I guess it doesn't work. I don't have a 2nd monitor available for testing so that isn't a big surprise. I can't remove the positioning as it was a requested enhancement. I'll see if I can get a second monitor so I can test my fixes.

Return to “InitiativeTool”