Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Blakey
Dragon

Notes Entry in defaultMonsters.rpdat

Post by Blakey »

Hi Jay,

I'm still struggling with this. :D

My approach now is to write a DMGenie script which outputs all the stuff I need for a given creature into the format that lets me add it to the defaultMonsters.rpdat file. I've got it all working - apart from Notes.

if this is my <monster> entry, what do I need to do to get <notes> into the actual Notes field for that monster when it gets into an encounter?

I have tried using <notes> and <itNotes> and have tried moving the location around in case that counts. All the other fields (mostly custom) work perfectly, that's the only one I'm struggling on.

Cheers
Blakey

Code: Select all

<monster>
 <family>Dark creeper</family>
 <name>Dark Creeper</name>
 <itNotes>Dark Creeper
    The dark creeper (a folk name for the race since the race name is unknown and their language is incomprehensible to all save the dark creepers) appears as a humanoid about 4 feet tall.  They are of slight-build and light of weight.  Members of the race dresss in somber clothing, concealing as much of their pallid skin as possible. 
     It is rumored they never remove clothing.  Instead they add new layers of clothing as the layers beneath molder away.

Carries medium spider venom to coat dagger.

Carried Treasure = 1d6 X 6 cp and 1d6 X 5 sp;  Good and items in lair.

Source: Fiend Folio
</itNotes>
 <size>S</size>
 <type>Humanoid</type>
 <hitDice>1D8+1</hitDice>
 <hp>5</hp>
 <itInitiativeModifier>3</itInitiativeModifier>
 <speed>30</speed>
 <ac>18</ac>
 <touchAc>13</touchAc>
 <flatFootedAc>15</flatFootedAc>
 <baseAttack>0</baseAttack>
 <grapple>0</grapple>
 <reach>5 ft./5 ft.</reach>
 <specialAttacks>Death Throes:  When killed, spontaneously explodes in flash of white-hot flame (fort save DC 11 or be blinded (as blindness spell) for 2d4 min)</specialAttacks>
 <specialQualities>Light Blindness:  Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds dark creepers for 1 round and suffer -1 penalty to all attack rolls, saves, and checks while operating in bright light.</specialQualities>
 <fortSave>1</fortSave>
 <reflexSave>5</reflexSave>
 <willSave>0</willSave>
 <str>11</str>
 <dex>16</dex>
 <con>12</con>
 <int>9</int>
 <wis>10</wis>
 <cha>8</cha>
 <challengeRating>1</challengeRating>
 <alignment>CN</alignment>
 <itCategory>NPC</itCategory>
</monster>
The guy in the green hat.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It doesn't look like it needs a code fix for this one. Go to the top of the rpdat file and search for </properties>. Just above that line add:

Code: Select all

<property name="itNotes" display="Notes">
        <description>Generic notes for the combatant</description>
      </property>
Then add your monsters with an element named <itNotes> in them. The notes won't show up in the Lookup Dialog or Add Combatant Dialog but they should show up in both IT & GT.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Hi Jay,

I tried this and it didn't work. I assume I dont need to create a custom "itNotes" field as I'm trying to get this information into the standard notes field of the monsters/NPCs in Init Tool.

Thanks for the continuing help on this one!

Cheers
Blakey

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Blakey wrote:I tried this and it didn't work. I assume I dont need to create a custom "itNotes" field as I'm trying to get this information into the standard notes field of the monsters/NPCs in Init Tool.
Hmmmm... I was sure that was it since I got it working. Could you email me the broken rpdat file?

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Its on its way...

Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Thanks Jay. That works great with version v1.0b24.

Thanks for all your help.
Blakey

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm glad that is working finally. The new build of 1.0 b24, which is now on the RPTools site, has the bug fix in it to make notes from GT or the Lookup tables be copied into IT.

Return to “InitiativeTool”