Extending InitiativeTool for other non-d20 RPG systems

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

demonsbane
Cave Troll

Extending InitiativeTool for other non-d20 RPG systems

Post by demonsbane »

Hi:

Some days ago I wrote in MapTool's forum about my wish of InitTool not being d20 exclusive for allowing its use with other rpg systems. Jay told me I could post here explaining my viewpoint so here is.

Currently I'm thinking in GURPS system terms, so I can only to offer feedback about this. Perhaps the feedback could be extrapolated for InitiTool can to support more generic approaches. I don't know.

The fact is, myself somemanner attributed at first glance InitTool was some class of Initiative Tracker and little more!

Later, testing it, I saw it also is working round to round, making initiative rolls and more, keeping the count of rounds, etc. By far its funcions are more than I saw first time. Very good for d20 games, indeed!

Then, my idea isn't to trim its functions and usability, but to offer some alternative manner of use and utility. My "problem" about using it with GURPS was there are no manner of introducing fractional initiative/speed values as 5.25 or 6.75 (in this system, they are needed).

For GURPS use, also, we don't need to roll for initiative because initiative is determined by your "Basic Speed" value, and variations in turn's sequence are depending how PCS-NPCs took the encounter (frozen by confusion, frightened, stunned by the surprise, etc). So the InitTool function of rolling initiative each round isn't useful for GURPS users.

My perhaps awkward suggestion is: could be InitTool be used without its many d20 features to optionally turn it as a "mere" initiative tracker for use in conjunction with MapTool?
I know I can to use the free Windows Notepad but isn't going to be linked to MapTool and the editing there can be annoying for saying the least.

Some guy (I don't know who was) did some work for Fantasy Grounds software trying to make it work for GURPS games (difficult thing to do because Fantasy Grounds doesn't handle well facing on the map), and he came out with a simple editable window being an Initiative Tracker. Here is showed as it could be with GURPS. It is very simple and functional, taken from a Fantasy Grounds screenshot:

As you can see, in this window I discovered it is also impossible to introduce fractional values! :-) I think in Fantasy Grounds this was unavoidable for the guy making this ruleset modification wasn't able to cope with the app core definitions-limitations, but you being the very developer of InitTool don't have a need to share that limitations. Again, Fantasy Grounds was created with d20 mechanics in the forefront, and, as with InitTool, it is a reason why the app don't let to input fractional speed/initiative values.

I would be happy with a window as that offering functionality running along with MapTool. Actually it is a very simple window: you edit the NPC and PC name and data (speed values, HPs) and the program sorts all them by order from more to less init-value or speed. Besides this, as you can see, there are entries for keeping track of NPCs-PC conditions (HPs, stunned, prone, whatever). In Fantasy Grounds each entry can to be linked with a map token, and little more.

Another coold way of doing this is the window Battlegrounds RPG: Turn sequencer:

Here you can track of the order of all PCs/NPCs involved in an encounter easily. With the "Step" button, you go to the next participant and when the row is done, a new turn/round begins again. In this window you don't see more data than the name of the characters/monster and their order. This is because the remaining data (HP, conditions, etc) are accessed with a double click in the character token on the map. This is pretty possible because the Turn Sequencer, as all things presented in BattleGrounds RPG, is integrated with the rest of the app.

I hope all this rant could be useful! It would be wonderfull MapTool-InitTool-DiceTool could to take in account this combination of ideas for making a really cool software. I'm -I said it- already gladly surprised with MapTool 1.1 -in development- recently incorporating hex support and facing of portrait round style tokens (yes, at Klooge.werks style, yellow arrow).

Regards,
Demonsbane

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

InitiativeTool already allows for setting fixed initiative values instead of using a die roll.

Fractional values aren't allowed but you could put in 375 instead of 3.75.

Load up InitiativeTool and from the Files menu select Edit Settings.

Click on the Manual Player & PC Init checkboxes.

demonsbane
Cave Troll

Post by demonsbane »

Thanks a lot for your answer, Phergus.

I checked out the Manual Player Init & Manual PC Init checkboxes, and the d20 initiative roll is out, fulfilling my need of no initiative rolls for GURPS.

Also, I can see InitiativeTool can be used as a full fledged Turn Sequencer. Cool, guys!

Now, waiting for seeing InitiativeTool working attached to MapTool!

Cheers,
Demonsbane

PS: When I found InitiativeTool I found I can to live renouncing to the "." or "," keys for introducing fractional values, putting the data as a whole number (625 insted 6,25), as you said. But it would be nice detail -definitively a non-critical need of course- to see someday the option of introducing decimal numbers.

Highland_Piper
Cave Troll

GURPS

Post by Highland_Piper »

demonsbane how is Initiative Tool working for you in GURPS? Can you share how you converted it. I just downloaded it today so I have not had a chance to work with it so far. I noticed its now d20, Savageworld and Hero. Too bad GURPS was not added as well.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Welcome Highland_Piper!

I am working on adding GURPS Lite to Init Tool now. Not sure how long it might take me to get it working.

Return to “InitiativeTool”