Understanding how to set up InitTool (1.1) at the moment

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Toran
Kobold

Understanding how to set up InitTool (1.1) at the moment

Post by Toran »

Hi,

of course documentation is behind all the time, I know, no worries.

Just to understand things correctly - while I figured out how to deal with 1.0 barely, 1.1 seems to be.. quite "different"? If I wanted to implement/make a new/simple inititiative system, I'd have to understand quite a bit of the the code that's, for example, in the propertyDescriptorSet.xml file, correct?
[which I don't at the moment, I'm not up to date in scripting/programming languages]...

So, just to get it straight - even if I had only (say) 4 values I wanted saved and potentially modified, I'd still need to understand the whole language those files are written in, right? So, what code/language is it/would it be to learn/understand..?

I'm just coming from the 1.0 version that I managed to get working but found it limited, and now I can't seem to get anything into my brain with 1.1 ;) [If that sounds confused, yes, I am :P]

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The problem is that there isn't an editor available for game settings files. The one that is available is broken, and I'm not sure when I will get to fix it. The propertyDescriptorSet.xml is much more complicated to support all of the new functionality, but if you don't use most of it then its not all that different. The hardest thing to move from one to the other was the packed file stuff. I split things into multiple files and that can be confusing.

If you need help writing one don't hesitate to ask. I've already promised several other people that I would help them with their game settings files so it would take me awhile before I'd be able to code it for you. But, I'm willing to do that if you can wait.

Toran
Kobold

Post by Toran »

Hehe, yep, I noticed that there's no editor ;)

While I'm not shy to edit files by hand, I'm absolutely not familiar (yet) with the structure/language(?) of the files and the scripts.

I'd like to set up InitTool for a RPG system that's popular in Germany, "The Dark Eye".

What I'd *need* for that would be:

properties:

- initiative (that'll be sorting, just plain standard): could be affected by certain effects and conditions.

- hitpoints: Affected by - well, you can imagine ;)

- armor value

- wounds: how many of 'em, and each wound would reduce certain other values

- values for attack/parrying: could be modified by conditions and wounds

- value for ranged attacks

- weapon damage for meleed/ranged

timers/effects/states:

I'd like to have states for positions (prone, getting up) which will affect parameters. Maybe also a "has already attacked/parried this round" state. Delaying would also be desired.

A state of "is preparing ranged attack and will be finishing at [his inititiative -8]" would be really great, although I could imagine that this might be the most complicated one...?

Since I don't really understand the syntax, I can't compare this to the other systems that are already implemented, but it seems pretty basic to me, not making use of too elaborated scripts...?

Although I'm willing to wait in general, of course I'd love/prefer to do it myself (just for the sake of being able to do it myself...AND taking work off you). But I probably would need a minimal example to understand the way it's done, and then work from there.

Would it be possible to get such a minimal example? Just with a few plain values (D&D would do it for me, I know the basic stuff well enough to gather what I need from it), without any skills etc. ..?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Toran wrote:While I'm not shy to edit files by hand, I'm absolutely not familiar (yet) with the structure/language(?) of the files and the scripts.
Language is XML, there is RPScript (MT macro language) and JavaScript embedded in it.
Toran wrote:I'd like to set up InitTool for a RPG system that's popular in Germany, "The Dark Eye".
You need to talk to wack076 and check out this thread http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... highlight= . CT & IT use the same settings file.
Toran wrote:Would it be possible to get such a minimal example? Just with a few plain values (D&D would do it for me, I know the basic stuff well enough to gather what I need from it), without any skills etc. ..?
I think I have one laying around that I can email to you.

Return to “InitiativeTool”