HERO Support in Init Tool

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote::!: Phase Sort Prop combo box doesn't remember/show current setting.
I've been looking into this and the only thing that I could create was it not showing the 'Init (default)' value.
That's the problem I was seeing.
That will be fixed in the next build.
Phergus wrote:I was actually looking to use the arrow keys to move them between groups/phases and this would not affect their IV. Maybe Ctrl-Up/Down could move a character between phases?
I like the Ctrl-Up/Down idea for moving between phases. I'll add this to the next build too.

Thanks for the input!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:I like the Ctrl-Up/Down idea for moving between phases. I'll add this to the next build too.
Killer!

Gonna be very close to a fully, functional melee manager for DQ.

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

I was wondering if a small graph with the (People on one axis and the phases on the other...with just check boxes...wouldn't be easier...

------------ 1 2 3 4
Starting Ph O O O X
----------------------------
Orc1_____ O X O O
__Timer 1_ O O X O
Trent_____ O X O X
Orc2______ X O O O

I know this is simplified as there are alot more phases and such but might be easier then having to manually put everyone in phases by name or dragging ect. You could just use check mark boxes or circles or whatever. Also this would give more flexibility. And you can have files that load these fairly easily so you could drag and drop an orc and it would do the normal checkmarks for you< but you have the option of still changing them if needed.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Dalna wrote:I was wondering if a small graph with the (People on one axis and the phases on the other...with just check boxes...wouldn't be easier...
I can do this, except for the timers. Timers can't be placed into a phase because they do not have custom properties associated with them. The custom property values determine the order within the phase. Since timers don't have them, they can't be ordered with the combatants. They have their own special phase.

I'll add a tracker for the table phase chooser.
Dalna wrote:And you can have files that load these fairly easily so you could drag and drop an orc and it would do the normal checkmarks for you< but you have the option of still changing them if needed.
Could you give me a little more info? How do you tie data in the file to a particular combatant. How would you edit these files? Is this needed in addition to the dispatcher support? That will allow you to write a script (when script support is added) to 'dispatch' combatants to phases when you start the encounter. Right now I am just hardcoding these dispatchers as people need them. There is one for Hero that follows the rules at the beginning of this thread. I could make a dispatcher that uses a file to do the distribution.

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

I mean most of the games have know phases...Like hero...I would do it either:

As one database with say the monster's name and a logical data field (Y/N) for each phase.

Or two files One with the monsters name and normal init. The other with Init score and the logical data fields for each phase for that init. (This one is better because you could change the Init data field for the monster while setting it up and it would lookup the phases associated with that init. )

Ofcoarse either way you should still be able to set a logical data field to other then normal. Either because of a state on the character or other effect.

I would assume that all these databases can be saved, so that everytime you restart the InitTool you could reuse the data. Might be able to have these files also to be loadable according to the game you are playing. Nothing big here...Just means as you enter your first orc...it assumes now for that game...all orcs are the same basically until you change it or make a second orc template...in which you would have to make a choice between the 2. Ofcoarse this would not work well if the number of phases changed during the game.

When the init tool changes a phase with the database already made for each character/monster it just goes down the complete list and does everyone in that phase whos logical data field for that phase is yes(true).

I think this way it would make it alot faster to set up a battle...either drag and drop this monster's datafile or pick it from a list (either way...it works alot quicker then setting up each monster/character in groups each time.)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:Ideally I need to be able to randomly drag people to whatever Phase I want. This movement would probably occur at the end of the round.
I agree that we need to be able to drag. Java 6 has fixed the dragging support, so I'm trying to stay away from that code until we switch. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple of months.
Drag and drop to move combatants between phases is in build 12, but you have to run it in Java 6. You drag a combatant from any phase that it is in, to the phase that you want it in and it moves there. Right now it will move it from every phase it is in to the new single phase selected for it. Tell me if this isn't the way you would like it to work.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:Drag and drop to move combatants between phases is in build 12, but you have to run it in Java 6. You drag a combatant from any phase that it is in, to the phase that you want it in and it moves there.
Curiously it seems to be working in Java 5.
jay wrote:Right now it will move it from every phase it is in to the new single phase selected for it. Tell me if this isn't the way you would like it to work.
For DQ the combatants are only ever in one phase so that is fine.
jay wrote:I like the Ctrl-Up/Down idea for moving between phases. I'll add this to the next build too.
That doesn't seem to have made it into the build.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:
That doesn't seem to have made it into the build.
Oops, it appears to be using Alt-Up/Down instead. Sorry about that, I can change them back if you want. The move up/down actions are also in the Actions menu.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Doesn't matter if it is Alt or Ctrl. Alt might even be better since my gaming laptop has only the one Ctrl key but has an Alt key right by the arrow keys.

Return to “InitiativeTool”