A Couple questsion

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

llatpog
Kobold

A Couple questsion

Post by llatpog »

I have just started using Initool 1.1.b6 for my 4e campaign. I have a few questions. (I have yet to see if there is a video tutorial on this stuff...so please bear with me)

1 - When dealing with 3.5, it seems I can only use 'look up...' for creatures when I launch the program from the RPtools website. If I open the program directly from the downloded program, the button is grayed out. Any reson for this?

1a - When dealing with 4e, the look up button is grayed out regardless of where it launched.

2 - in checking through the forums, I see someone make the 4e XML file for the monster manual. Assuming my first issue is figured out, is the 4e Monster Manual available so I can look up creatures?

3 - When dealing with the Maptool, all the tokens have their information already within the rptok file(AC,HP...etc). When using Init tool, it seems I can only use .png files for the graphics. Is there a way to use the rptok files in initool?

3a - better yet, when dealing with the Token tool, can it create the rptok file instead of the .png file?

4 - When creating a group, I can't use the lookup option again for creatures or for my PC's. Again, is there something I am missing here?

5 - If I have a number of creatures in an encounter, can I take them and make them into a group? I am thinking that because I can't add multiple encounters together, I could add multiple groups together to make for easier combat situations.

Again, my apologies if these are in the video tutorial...which I plan on checking out soon.

Thanks so much!!!

llatpog
Kobold

Re: A Couple questsion

Post by llatpog »

OK...I have answered a few of my questions...but by doing that, I had a few more.

I now know I can import tokens into the IniTool, and that the CharTool can be used to make tokens in the rpTok format.

But, this gave me an idea...and I checked a few thing.

When I am in MapTool, I use a token and that token has all its stats...like AC, HP...etc. When I open that same token into CharTools, all that information is lost. When I import that same token into IniTools, all the information is lost.

On the flip side, if I make a token in CharTools, it imports into InitTools just fine. However when I use that same token in MapTools, I lose all that information.

Are the tokens just not formatted the same way?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

llatpog wrote:Are the tokens just not formatted the same way?
Formatting is the same (they are all XML) but the definition of the content can change.

In MapTool, each campaign can create unique "campaign property types". Tokens have a property type as one of the fields on the Config tab of the edit token dialog.

CharTool can produce a token for (relatively) any gaming system.

So how are the two made to match up?

There's a movement going right now that will take the XML produced by one program and translate it into the XML needed by the other program. I don't know what the status is of that project since I haven't been keeping up with it. You might check the other forums (CharTool and MapTool) to see if that's where the discussion threads are.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

llatpog wrote:1 - When dealing with 3.5, it seems I can only use 'look up...' for creatures when I launch the program from the RPtools website. If I open the program directly from the downloded program, the button is grayed out. Any reson for this?
Not sure why that would happen. I've had it happen the other way around though. It should always be on. You might want to try and reset Init Tool from the Help menu.
llatpog wrote:1a - When dealing with 4e, the look up button is grayed out regardless of where it launched.
No lookup file was ever provided for 4e. Would you like to create one?
llatpog wrote:2 - in checking through the forums, I see someone make the 4e XML file for the monster manual. Assuming my first issue is figured out, is the 4e Monster Manual available so I can look up creatures?
Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean a whole lot :)
llatpog wrote:3 - When dealing with the Maptool, all the tokens have their information already within the rptok file(AC,HP...etc). When using Init tool, it seems I can only use .png files for the graphics. Is there a way to use the rptok files in initool?
Init Tool tries to read the properties within the rptok file according to the mapping of the game settings file. The 4e file doesn't use the default values in MT as they don't provide enough data. It uses a set defined for one of the 4e macro sets.
llatpog wrote:3a - better yet, when dealing with the Token tool, can it create the rptok file instead of the .png file?
Token tool only does the graphics files, you have to import them into MT, IT or CT to create the rptok file. You would have to talk to Trevor to determine if TT will ever create an rptok file.
llatpog wrote:4 - When creating a group, I can't use the lookup option again for creatures or for my PC's. Again, is there something I am missing here?
See answers above.
llatpog wrote:5 - If I have a number of creatures in an encounter, can I take them and make them into a group? I am thinking that because I can't add multiple encounters together, I could add multiple groups together to make for easier combat situations.
Select them all and then drag and drop from the encounter window to the group window. It should copy everything over.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

llatpog wrote:When I am in MapTool, I use a token and that token has all its stats...like AC, HP...etc. When I open that same token into CharTools, all that information is lost. When I import that same token into IniTools, all the information is lost.

On the flip side, if I make a token in CharTools, it imports into InitTools just fine. However when I use that same token in MapTools, I lose all that information.

Are the tokens just not formatted the same way?
The files are formatted the same way but there is a data mapping between the IT data which is hierarchical and the MT data which is just a list of properties. This data mapping is set up in the game settings file. There should be a link to them in the 4e thread in the CT forum.

Return to “InitiativeTool”