What do these files do?

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Ariadne
Kobold

What do these files do?

Post by Ariadne »

Hi folks,

I apologize if this is a really obvious question, but I looked around the site and couldn't find any documentation for InitTool, so I figured I'd try here.

I'm interested in using InitTool for storing the stat blocks for my 4th edition D&D game. I saw that the fields when I add a combatant are set up for 3rd edition stats, and with some fiddling around I realized I could change those under the Custom Properties tab of Game Settings. However, I'm not sure I'm saving my changes correctly, and I also want to make sure that I know how to share my work if I input a lot of monsters.

So, anyway. I saw that there are at least three different file types used by the program--.rpdat, .rpgame, and .rpenc--and I wasn't sure which of them needed to be modified to change the combatant information fields. (For example, under the "Choose Game" tab I tried creating a new game, but even after loading the default combatant lookup file, it didn't have any of the 3rd ed custom properties defined.) So, is there a quick guide as to what information to save where, and what files need to be copied if I'm sharing that material with someone else?

Assuming I can get this part working, I was also wondering how sensitive the entries are to changes. If I put in a bunch of stat blocks, then later decide I was a doofus for not including an Aura field (yay flaming skeletons), will adding one break my existing saved combatants?

Hope the questions are clear, and thanks in advance for any help! And many thanks to the development team for making such great software.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: What do these files do?

Post by jay »

Ariadne wrote:I'm interested in using InitTool for storing the stat blocks for my 4th edition D&D game. I saw that the fields when I add a combatant are set up for 3rd edition stats, and with some fiddling around I realized I could change those under the Custom Properties tab of Game Settings. However, I'm not sure I'm saving my changes correctly, and I also want to make sure that I know how to share my work if I input a lot of monsters.
There is a 4e game settings file that has the 4e stuff in it. I'll try to get a build out in the next week or so that will allow you access to the latest.
Ariadne wrote:So, anyway. I saw that there are at least three different file types used by the program--.rpdat, .rpgame, and .rpenc--and I wasn't sure which of them needed to be modified to change the combatant information fields. (For example, under the "Choose Game" tab I tried creating a new game, but even after loading the default combatant lookup file, it didn't have any of the 3rd ed custom properties defined.) So, is there a quick guide as to what information to save where, and what files need to be copied if I'm sharing that material with someone else?
You need to modify the .rpgame file. I wouldn't call it quick, but there is a guide in the CT forums which gives the gory details. I've not built the editor for the file yet so it is still difficult to do.
Ariadne wrote:Assuming I can get this part working, I was also wondering how sensitive the entries are to changes. If I put in a bunch of stat blocks, then later decide I was a doofus for not including an Aura field (yay flaming skeletons), will adding one break my existing saved combatants?
It shouldn't be a problem. As long as the data is defined IT will create a default value for the property so that it can be used w/in the screens. However, if you write scripts they need to be able to handle the default value.

Ariadne
Kobold

Re: What do these files do?

Post by Ariadne »

Awesome! Good to know a build is coming sometime, and also the pointer to the CT guide is very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Return to “InitiativeTool”