InitTool Usability Poll

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

How do you feel about InitTool's interface and usability?

I think it is very confusing.
33%
I think it is a little confusing.
27%
I am somewhere in the middle (please explain).
No votes
I think it is kind of easy.
33%
I think it is really easy.
7%

Total votes: 15

dorpond
RPTools Team

InitTool Usability Poll

Post by dorpond »

**InitTool Usability Poll**

Do you feel InitTool’s interface is easy and straight forward or do you find it a bit complicated and confusing? I am doing a poll so we can get an idea how the community feels when behind the wheel of InitTool.

As always, our goal is to make the best tools money can buy!
Wait! We do this for free, don’t we? :)

After your vote, please tell us how you felt or feel when using the tool. All your voices help us make our tools the best around!

Thank you,
Dorpond

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

One point of confusion for me, or maybe it's frustration, is adding to an encounter. The Add Creatures menu item isn't immediately intuitive that it means add any entity to the encounter, but only monsters/creatures.

Next, the Add Creatures dialog isn't intuitive to me. I always have to experiment to get the basics. Is the "Initiative" box meant to be their current initiative total? Initiative Modifier? And the Syntax lable can be confusing as well. Why not make multiple fields instead of just the command-line syntax?

Personally I think a table layout would be better, where the entire encounter could be added right at this screen.

For example, with a table layout, I can add all my PCs and NPCs at the same time. One line per PC, and then say 10 Stormtroopers on one line as well, with each column in the table equating to the command-line fields.

Display a default number of rows and as the rows fill up a new blank one could be added at the bottom, like in most HTML editors do when editing WYSIWYG tables, tab on the last row adds a new row.

Overall, though, InitTool works better for me than the combat tracker in DM Genie.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

It took me all of five minutes to figure out init tool. While it could use some interface tweaking I was up and working well with it very quickly. I use it for all sorts of things including an NPC tracker. The custom values make it very flexible.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Warderbrad
Cave Troll

Post by Warderbrad »

I had issues with the custom fields and such. When I was filling them out it was helpful in some ways to have the field populate with the number I put in for the last monster (for hit points or AC or whatever) but once the encounter started when I would go to the field to change their hit points or whatever it would keep putting in the last number I entered and that would mess me up at times. It would be nice if you could enter a custom field that would make calculations based on two other fields or something (ie have one field for HP and one for damage or something then a third for remaining hit points)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I agree with a computed fields column. That would be a great addition.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

RPTroll wrote:I agree with a computed fields column. That would be a great addition.
There is already a tracker for this. What is the expected functionality for a computed field?

Warderbrad
Cave Troll

Post by Warderbrad »

::thinks then points to his post above::

My example was having one field for max hit points and another for damage taken and a third that would show current hit points by subtracting the two. I am sure other uses would be possible.

::Smiles::

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

Yes..there are others...what about things like % damage...I would assume we will need the abiliy to add subtract, multiply, divide and round atleast.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The next step is to eliminate the confusion. What is making init tool hard to use? SR talked about the add creatures dialog, what other parts of the application are confusing? What else can I do to make it easier to use?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

My thoughts are this:

I want to see what is going on at all times. If I cast a Buff spell that 3 players have, I want to see that. When the Monks turn is up in Initiative, I want to be able to see his current conditions and time remaining for each of those conditions all on the same screen.

I guess I am just used to Index Cards. When I would flip a card to the next player, I could quickly see everything that was buffing the character and ailing him. I know that I need to roll damage for Melf's Acid arrow and do another poison damage roll. It is all there on the one card.

I would like to see InitTool be layed out like this - an index card with data right in my face. Also have a field where I can type in notes on this card. Sometimes we need to write down things that the program might not allow - a field for notes would be awesome.

I don't like having to click on all kinds of buttons and go into all kinds of screens to view character data - it all need to be in one place. A GM needs info quickly.

Hope this helps, Jay!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I think what bothers me the most about InitTool is that all the condition timers are on the top of the list.

If conditions were layed out like a subdirectory under the players in the list, it might be easier.

Example:

Dorpond
-Bless 4
-Poison 1
-Melf's Acid Arrow 5
Jay
-Bless 4
Trevor
-God Mode 100056
Giliath
-Bulls Strength 304
-Rage 5
Mr. Ice
-Mage Armor 39
Troll
Ogre
-Rage 3

if you are worried about the length of the list, make the conditions expandable

+Troll
+Trevor
+Dorpond
-Mr. Ice
--Mage Armor 49
etc..

Of course all in pretty GUI fashion.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I guess I am just used to Index Cards. When I would flip a card to the next player, I could quickly see everything that was buffing the character and ailing him. I know that I need to roll damage for Melf's Acid arrow and do another poison damage roll. It is all there on the one card.

I would like to see InitTool be layed out like this - an index card with data right in my face.
I could add something like the current edit item dialog pretty easily. I'll add a tracker for this.
dorpond wrote:Also have a field where I can type in notes on this card. Sometimes we need to write down things that the program might not allow - a field for notes would be awesome.
Very good idea, I'll add a tracker.
dorpond wrote:Hope this helps, Jay!
Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I think what bothers me the most about InitTool is that all the condition timers are on the top of the list.
Actually all timers are shown in order of initiative. They work this way so that the GM can apply effects to creatures as needed. Take Melfs Acid arrow for instance, you need to apply the damage to the affected creature every round. But even if the caster or the target delay in some later round, the acid damage still gets applied at the same point in the initiative. So I've set it up so that timers show up just above the current creature (if nothing else is selected) at the same initiative. When the next round occurs, the GM knows exactly when to apply the damage.

Sometimes the GM doesn't need to know when the item shows up in the initiative. The bless spell is a perfect example, you apply the bonuses from it when it is cast and then forget about it until the bonuses expire. That is why there is a 'Reminder' timer type. It doesn't normally show up in the encounter until the spell's duration expires. When it pop's up, the GM can tell everybody they are no longer blessed.

The point I am trying to make is that timers actually become a part of the encounter, not just attached to creatures in the encounter. They have an initiative that can be different from their caster's and their targets' initiatives.
dorpond wrote:If conditions were layed out like a subdirectory under the players in the list, it might be easier.
I understand what you are saying about a tree structure, but wouldn't this info be shown in the index card idea that you told me about above? If so, then you wouldn't really need the tree at all, would you? Or am I misunderstanding what the problem is?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

jay wrote:
dorpond wrote:If conditions were layed out like a subdirectory under the players in the list, it might be easier.
I understand what you are saying about a tree structure, but wouldn't this info be shown in the index card idea that you told me about above? If so, then you wouldn't really need the tree at all, would you? Or am I misunderstanding what the problem is?
It was just another option in case the index style was too much to take on.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

jay wrote: So I've set it up so that timers show up just above the current creature (if nothing else is selected) at the same initiative. When the next round occurs, the GM knows exactly when to apply the damage.
I think this is the root of all confusion.

When Dorpond casts a Melf's Acid Arrow and the damage needs to be rolled for X amount of rounds it should be under Dorpond. If dorpond casts something harmful at someone and I need to visually represent that, the mind automatically thinks it should go under the player that owns it. That player owns it. When it is put above the character, the mind visually thinks the person above him owns it.

I think this is what is the most confusing. I understand your theory in that a spell or condition is a seperate entity with its own initiative but visually I think we expect it to go under the player that owns it; not above.

Now, Maybe you can place the timer under the player but still have it go in the proper order (timer first, then player); I am not certain.

But yeah, this is where I get confused the most. Like in a directory, things I create and cause are owned by me thus they belong in my sub-directory. Know what I mean?

Return to “InitiativeTool”