[D&D3.5 + Pathfinder] MT1.3b63 Campaign Macros r05

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
ProfessorNono
Kobold

Re: D&D3.5 Pathfinder MT1.3b56 Campaign Macros

Post by ProfessorNono »

it doesn't work because the name of the macro must be setSizeLang(p_size) instead of SetSizeLang(p_size). I used a capital S at the begining for no reason, sorry.

the line in the onCampaignLoad is looking the setSizeLang(p_size) macro, not the SetSizeLang(p_size)

good luck!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Volox Bolox wrote:Thanks of your help .

I create a token type DnD35French , then I translate the words in each macro

right now , I am in the macro LibRest :

[H: StrMod = StrMod + if( getState("Exhausted"), 6, if(getState("Fatigued"), 2, 0))]
[H: DexMod = DexMod + if( getState("Exhausted"), 6, if(getState("Fatigued"), 2, 0))]

Is it correct ? should not be -6 -2
The 6 and 2 are correct as this is the REST macro. They are removing the negative effects that Exhausted or Fatigued apply.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Sorry I have not posted up my latest update with the cool Evard's Black Tentacles macros and other stuffs. I do have updates (and am taking this influx of language support request to heart for future updates). I have just being dealing with a family health issue so have been and will be mostly out of pocket for a bit.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

I am hitting a mental block and wondering if anyone could help. How would I setup the Full Attk for a Xill?
2 short swords +5 melee (1d6+2/19-20, 1d6+1/19-20) and 2 claws +5 melee (1d4+1); or 4 claws +5 melee (1d4+2, 1d4+1); or 2 longbows +4 ranged (1d8/x3)
Thanks!

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

You do not have to set it up. The Attack macro knows if you get multiple attacks based on BAB.
--
Big Mac

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Elorebaen wrote:I am hitting a mental block and wondering if anyone could help. How would I setup the Full Attk for a Xill?
2 short swords +5 melee (1d6+2/19-20, 1d6+1/19-20) and 2 claws +5 melee (1d4+1); or 4 claws +5 melee (1d4+2, 1d4+1); or 2 longbows +4 ranged (1d8/x3)
Thanks!
Weapon0: Short Sword, Primary, Natural
Weapon1: Short Sword, Secondary, Natural
Weapon2: Claws, Secondary, Natural, Number of Attacks 2

Weapon3: Claws, Primary, Natural, Number of Attacks 2

Weapon4: Longbow, Primary, Natural, Number 2, Ranged Yes, Max STR 0

Then when you attack either use:
Weapons

I don't have resource info at the moment but I do not think Xill's get multiple attacks for wielding a manufactured weapon. If that remembrance is incorrect, then change Weapon0 to Manufactured.

P.S. I am still mostly unable to get to a computer so updates continue to be delayed.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Thank you for the assistance! Take care of yourself.

Coanunn
Giant

Post by Coanunn »

Ok, I admit I haven't sorted through all 32 pages of this but how much of this framework is specific to the pathfinder changes and how difficult would it be to use this for a base 3.5 game?

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Coanunn wrote:Ok, I admit I haven't sorted through all 32 pages of this but how much of this framework is specific to the pathfinder changes and how difficult would it be to use this for a base 3.5 game?
When you load it up it will ask you which you want to choose, then does everything according to your choice, 3.5 or Pathfinder. Pretty awesome eh?
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

lmarkus001 wrote:D&D3.5 Pathfinder Campaign Framework

Upgrade steps for existing campaigns using an older version:
  • Open MT1.3.5x_DnD35Pathfinder0x.campaign in MapTools
  • Right click in Campaign Macro window and Export Macro Set
  • File: Save -> Campaign As... (don't overwrite your existing campaign, make a new copy with save as)
I just updated to your latest 56.2 and I noticed one step missing at the very end.
  • Close and re-open you campaign.
Otherwise several things just won't work (or at least they didn't for me!)
=)

Thanks for the awesome work.
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

Alassirana
Cave Troll

Post by Alassirana »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (navigating this thread is a lesson in patience at this point)...but we discovered an error in the macros when trying to use them for the first time last night. We had a character (gestalt, but the important class in this was ninja) who had bracers of armor +1 (armor bonus), wisdom 15 (+2 misc bonus), 16 dex (+3 dex bonus)....no armor, deflection, or dodge bonuses...and it was giving her an ac of 17, when it should have been 16 by our calculations. We're still not sure where the extra point was coming from.

We had a few confusions over what stats went where, and what bonuses could be included. For example, does the skills panel give synergy bonuses where they always apply? Also, when equipping weapons, the final line is confusing; it took several attacks for us to figure out exactly what was meant by the offhand heavy/offhand light natural/ or non-multiattack...these could be clearer. But we managed a game, including getting as far as I had hoped before I put in the macro set....so that was a success, sort of.

Also, when doing the attacks, there was no legitimate means to roll a single attack (for after a move action). Those attacks were always multiples, which meant that one of my players was somewhat annoyed at having to ignore iterative attacks when making a move and attacking.

I noticed as well, there is no way to account for damage reduction on attacks. At the moment I have at least 2 characters, soon a third as well, with damage reduction, which makes things a little tricky.

Alassirana

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Alassirana wrote:I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (navigating this thread is a lesson in patience at this point)...but we discovered an error in the macros when trying to use them for the first time last night. We had a character (gestalt, but the important class in this was ninja) who had bracers of armor +1 (armor bonus), wisdom 15 (+2 misc bonus), 16 dex (+3 dex bonus)....no armor, deflection, or dodge bonuses...and it was giving her an ac of 17, when it should have been 16 by our calculations. We're still not sure where the extra point was coming from.
She was probably size Small, right? ;)
We had a few confusions over what stats went where, and what bonuses could be included. For example, does the skills panel give synergy bonuses where they always apply? No. Also, when equipping weapons, the final line is confusing; it took several attacks for us to figure out exactly what was meant by the offhand heavy/offhand light natural/ or non-multiattack...these could be clearer. But we managed a game, including getting as far as I had hoped before I put in the macro set....so that was a success, sort of.
Agreed. The weapon stuff is still confusing. If you looked at his charsheet macro, you'll find that much of that stuff will be migrating to a nicer look-and-feel over time, I think.
Also, when doing the attacks, there was no legitimate means to roll a single attack (for after a move action). Those attacks were always multiples, which meant that one of my players was somewhat annoyed at having to ignore iterative attacks when making a move and attacking.
He'll get over it. ;)

Seriously, it's not a big deal. Besides, he doesn't need to look at it anyway, only the GM does. :)
I noticed as well, there is no way to account for damage reduction on attacks. At the moment I have at least 2 characters, soon a third as well, with damage reduction, which makes things a little tricky.

Alassirana
Correct. In order to implement DR, every attack would have to specify a damage type. That's a huge amount of extra data entry. :(

I saw a set of macros recently (see this thread) for managing an inventory of weapons and such. It should be possible to put pre-defined weapon stats in the inventory and let users choose one to prepopulate the various fields. This would make the data entry much easier! The user could then tweak things (like magical atk/dmg bonuses and such).

Another thing the macros don't handle are all of the "special" weapon abilities, like holy, bane, vicious, and so on. But at some point we need a reason to have a GM, don't we? ;)

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Alassirana wrote:I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (navigating this thread is a lesson in patience at this point)...but we discovered an error in the macros when trying to use them for the first time last night. We had a character (gestalt, but the important class in this was ninja) who had bracers of armor +1 (armor bonus), wisdom 15 (+2 misc bonus), 16 dex (+3 dex bonus)....no armor, deflection, or dodge bonuses...and it was giving her an ac of 17, when it should have been 16 by our calculations. We're still not sure where the extra point was coming from.
Is the character small? Remember small size adds 1 to AC.
Alassirana wrote: We had a few confusions over what stats went where, and what bonuses could be included. For example, does the skills panel give synergy bonuses where they always apply?
I have been actively reworking the Skills panel to be WAY more robust. What is there now is strictly 1 number for the skill that should NOT include the Stat modifier. So it is very basic at the moment. The number you enter should include ranks, feats, synergy, magic, etc. The only thing that is calculated to go with it is the stat modifier.
Alassirana wrote:Also, when equipping weapons, the final line is confusing; it took several attacks for us to figure out exactly what was meant by the offhand heavy/offhand light natural/ or non-multiattack...these could be clearer. But we managed a game, including getting as far as I had hoped before I put in the macro set....so that was a success, sort of.
The initial post to this thread is a detailed discussion of the generic attack macro. It was the original starting point and is based on very old basic macro tools. Yeah it can be confusing.

The core thing about a weapon entry is it includes all of the relevant impactors from other attacks. So you have to specify if the weapon/attack in question is a multi-attack or not, and if multi, then what is the impact of the other attack.

Basically, if you are not a monster, your weapons should be Manufactured, Primary/Secondary, and the multi-attack modifier needs to be set up (is it multi, if so is off hand heavy or light).
Alassirana wrote: Also, when doing the attacks, there was no legitimate means to roll a single attack (for after a move action). Those attacks were always multiples, which meant that one of my players was somewhat annoyed at having to ignore iterative attacks when making a move and attacking.
Certainly there is. Create a Weapon that is
Primary/Secondary (depending on if it is off hand or not),
make it a Natural weapon (if it is Primary and manufactured, the multiple attacks for BAB > 5 cut in, so by making it Natural that won't occur)
Set # attacks to 1
Set other relevant parameters

Now when you press Attack, just select that Weapon and only it will run.

If you look at IMarvin's monster tokens, you will notice he has configured the weapons with things like Slam and Slams, where Slam is your single attack and Slams would be part of the full attack.
Alassirana wrote: I noticed as well, there is no way to account for damage reduction on attacks. At the moment I have at least 2 characters, soon a third as well, with damage reduction, which makes things a little tricky.
Damage reduction is not a part of attacking. It is a part of processing damage. At this point there is little benefit in tracking the various DR types and comparing them vs the damage types. The potential for erroneous processing goes way up when adding in these kinds of variables. So a bit of math-in-your-head works great.

For example, one of my PCs has DR 3/silver. When I hit him for 5 damage, he asks me if it counts as silver, I then can give him a quick verbal and he then enters 3 less damage when he uses the HP Change macro.

Basically, at a certain point the overhead for automation is greater than the benefit, DR is one of those cases.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:I have been actively reworking the Skills panel to be WAY more robust. What is there now is strictly 1 number for the skill that should NOT include the Stat modifier. So it is very basic at the moment. The number you enter should include ranks, feats, synergy, magic, etc. The only thing that is calculated to go with it is the stat modifier.
This data entry has been one of the roughest for me. I find it fairly easy to enter the total modifiers directly out of the statblock (except for converting from 3.5E to PF in my head as I go!), but editing them later is a bit of a pain.

I'd love to have a better technique for updating skill ranks when a PC levels up. But I'm not sure what that approach might look like. Maybe two columns of numbers, one as the full modifier and one as just the ranks/misc? Or multiple columns to represent ranks, misc, and class skill? I suppose this would need to be done using a dialog and a form instead of input() boxes, though.

I'm also thinking it might be nice to have a macro that applies templates. I'm not sure how to design that one yet.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

For what it's worth.. I have run into all of Alassirana's problems in slowly preparing my first game.

I figured it all out, but I banged my head on the table for a few days with trial and error- assuming that there HAD to be a way to get the values in there correctly, so you would get the correct output. Including the multiple attacks versus the single attack after a move.

I just moved cross country and am taking a few weeks off before I am starting to look for a new job. Today I was just poking through the thread to compile some notes on how to explain some of this to my players, who will be using MapTools for the first time.

EDIT: But I will be doing their first tokens on their behalf, with art they're providing me, for just this reason. I don't trust them to make their tokens correctly until they have some practical experience with MapTools and this specific framework.

I guess I'm saying that I know this is a labor of love, and I am grateful.

But but it would be swell if it was a bit more documented. I'd be glad to help if you need any.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”