Maptool errors: zoom and player screen FOW

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
voightman
Kobold

Maptool errors: zoom and player screen FOW

Post by voightman »

I am having two problems running Maptools 1.3B56. I am running Vista.

When I have a map open and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom, I can only zoom in. Very quickly the zoom rate makes the viewing of the map impossible, and there is no way to zoom back out properly, even with the menu option View - Zoom - Zoom 1:1.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it some shortcoming on my part? I can run Maptools on another PC running XP without a problem. Is it Vista?

The second problem that I am having is with the player view/player movement and the FOW. I launched Maptools, and started a server as GM. I launched a second session of Maptools and connected to the server as a player. I have two monitors, and each instance of Maptools is displayed on a different monitor. On the GM instance, I opened a map and set vision blocking layers around different objects. I have PC tokens on the screen, the fog of war shows correctly.

When I uncheck Map - Player visible, the player map goes to black from Fog of War. So far, so good. When I move the token on the gm map, I get a popup on the player instance that says "An unexpected error has occurred". When I click on details, the following is displayed:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.panels.SelectionPanel.init(SelectionPanel.java:51)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.panels.SelectionPanel.reset(SelectionPanel.java:143)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.panels.AbstractMacroPanel.modelChanged(AbstractMacroPanel.java:179)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.BaseModel.fireModelChangeEvent(BaseModel.java:36)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.Zone.putToken(Zone.java:605)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ClientMethodHandler$1.run(ClientMethodHandler.java:180)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Any ideas what may be causing this error? I updated to the latest Java version but still get the error.

Thanks for any input...

voightman

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Maptool errors: zoom and player screen FOW

Post by Azhrei »

These are both known issues.

The first is caused by the mouse driver. You might try searching for "mouse driver vista" here on the forum.

The second one is because the code doesn't compensate for the fact that the map isn't visible on the client! I believe the fix for this has already been contributed and will be in the next build.

voightman
Kobold

Post by voightman »

Thanks for the quick info...

I rolled back the mouse driver and the zoom feature is working properly.

Now I just need to wait (somewhat patiently) for the next build...

voightman

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

In the mean time, just create a blank map that IS visible to the players and they can land there when they first connect.

I have a map called "Token Repository" and I like my players to keep current copies of their tokens on that map. Then when it's time to visit a new map, I copy/paste them to the new map, position them where I want them, expose the FoW based on their vision/light sources, and THEN make the map Visible to Players.

Return to “MapTool”