Fullscreen dualscreen

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
voodoo
Dragon

Fullscreen dualscreen

Post by voodoo »

Last night I tried (with no success) to set up a dualscreen (I managed to do this) and have a fullscreen player session on the "secondary" screen (the "main" screen was my laptop with maptool, dm genie, token tool and IE to make tokens "on the fly") but couldn't do that.
When I got the player maptool go fullscreen, it would always be fullscreen on my main screen (so I got around it by making the windowed player session as big as possible, but still...)

Anybody know how to do that (And I think it might belong to a FAQ of sort, since I think quite a few people use it that way. BTW, does anybody feel up to doing a "beginner's guide to how to set up and run a basic maptool session", like [I dont't remember who, sorry :oops: ] did a while ago?)?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Fullscreen dualscreen

Post by trevor »

voodoo wrote: When I got the player maptool go fullscreen, it would always be fullscreen on my main screen (so I got around it by making the windowed player session as big as possible, but still...)
That sounds like a bug. I'll investigate.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I run dual monitors every game. That is a Windows function though.

My scenario:
-Player brings his high end Dell laptop to the game.
-I connected his video output to his HUGE TV.
-He then sets up Dual Monitor but in extended mode where his LCD and his TV are one big monitor.
-He then opens up Maptool and drags it over on the TV.
-He maximized it and Voila! Full screen on the TV.

BUT

We have a bug where if I click on the menu items, the menu items will appear on the LCD screen on his laptop. That makes it very difficult to navigate going back and forth between screens.

So I did a test at home where I setup dual monitors (no TV) and that test worked just fine - not a bug at all.

So the question is:
Is it a Windows bug or is it a Maptool bug?

I will try to get my player to update his video drivers on his laptop but he isn't computer savy so I will probably have to get to game early this week and do it for him.

stefam
Cave Troll

Post by stefam »

I have the same issue as the first poster... When I run dual screen, I need to maximize the view on the projector.

If I use the "FullScreen" option, then the player view moves back to my monitor.

BTW, new release works great! Still wish there was a hot-key to set token states. Also, am I missing it, or is there a way to view the mini-map descriptions on the right hand side?
It takes a village to raise a child, but it takes a Viking to raze a village.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Fullscreen dualscreen

Post by Phergus »

voodoo wrote:Last night I tried (with no success) to set up a dualscreen (I managed to do this) and have a fullscreen player session on the "secondary" screen (the "main" screen was my laptop with maptool, dm genie, token tool and IE to make tokens "on the fly") but couldn't do that.
When I got the player maptool go fullscreen, it would always be fullscreen on my main screen (so I got around it by making the windowed player session as big as possible, but still...)
This sounds like you possibly don't have your secondary display set to "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" or that you don't have the displays configured for independent resolution.

Depending on the video chipset the configuration varies a lot. With nVidia you want what they call DualView. Both displays are configured independently and have their own resoultion.

The important part is that you do not want to mirror or clone the displays. Most laptops default to mirroring the displays as that is how they are typically used in presentation environments.

You don't want that because you want the player client to be independent from the GM display.

Unfortunately it can be a bit of a pain to get some laptops and their chipsets to do what you want.

Halistar
Kobold

Post by Halistar »

Haha, I didn't know you could run multiple instances. I was running a second instance on my laptop and connecting that to my desk, effectively getting the same thing, just with two computers. Much nicer with multiple instances.
-Elgorond Halistar

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Actually I find it works best if the players have one or more PCs to themselves. Lets them keep the map centered where they want it and lets them move their own tokens.

Running two instances as a GM means you are always having to reposition and update the players display while you are trying to do your thing.

trevor

Post by trevor »

stefam wrote:is there a way to view the mini-map descriptions on the right hand side?
Not at the moment, but there's some hot trackers for that, in addition to adding a right click menu to them for common map actions.

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

On the subject of maps, I, for one, would like to be able to create a bounded map by just double-clicking on a mini-map on the left-side window (second from top) instead of right-clicking/bounded map.
Granted, it is not much of an effort to right-click and select, but I'm used to double clicking to open.

(Just my 0.15 euros)

trevor

Post by trevor »

voodoo wrote:be able to create a bounded map by just double-clicking on a mini-map on the left-side window
What do the rest of you think ?

I'm trying to think if there's any other action that would be associated with a double click in the image explorer. I imagine it's not too destructive since it would pop up the New Map dialog and if it wasn't the action you expected you can just cancel.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Lazy people...unite! :wink:
Heck ya, sounds great to me!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Seems reasonable to me.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

actually, i'm with voodoo, since you have the new map window, it's repetative to have to select bound/unbounded when the selector is right there in the next window anyways

long live the double click map generation!

trevor

Post by trevor »

K, you got it, I'll put it in the next dev build

Halistar
Kobold

Post by Halistar »

The old fashioned way by right clicking will still be there though, right?
-Elgorond Halistar

Return to “MapTool”