web start server url?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Heroman
Cave Troll

web start server url?

Post by Heroman »

Hi! I was wondering if this is something maptool/the website/etc could do. Not sure if it can do this, so thought I would ask.

Can you give the webstarted MapTool some server information to use on startup?

I was thinking you could start a server and from some menu generate a URL to clipboard which gives the webstart URL, plus a server name so instead of
http://rptools.net/dist/webstart.php/ma ... 20-Xmx256m
it may be something like:
http://rptools.net/dist/webstart.php/ma ... r=MyServer

That way, when you email the full url to a player, they could just click it, and immediately get all joined up. It would be good to also set the other connect toggles and such. What spurred this thought is that I wanted to introduce a GM to MapTool and wanted to host the maps (given I resized and have the tokens) and thought it would be cool to just have them use a 1-click....

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hmmmm. Let me think about that one a bit
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

It's certainly possible, the problem is that they would _always_ get that value when they started, from here until they re-clicked the webstart link without the server name.

It's probably just as easy to start your server registering with rptools and tell them the name to connect to ?

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

Yeah, that should be fine. I was just thinking it would be neat to send players an IM with a URL which would get the latest client and connect them up to your game, both for normal players (though sure eventually they would dl MapTool) or maybe people in an IRC/website where you could say "Hey, check this out!" and give them the URL which would bring up a fully populated game.

-hm

trevor

Post by trevor »

Perhaps we just need better server listing support. Perhaps on the Connect to Server dialog we can show a list of current severs. Obviously that would be where the passwords become important (for private games)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

And then people would also need the option of making their server private i.e. unlisted.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:And then people would also need the option of making their server private i.e. unlisted.
Easy enough :)

Return to “MapTool”