MapTool 1.3 Development Build 60

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 60

Post by Azhrei »

LaserWolf wrote:
Phergus wrote: Actually that would be unusual. It means that MT can't reach the router that it previously opened the port on with UPnP. I've never seen that with PCs connected via 802.11 or ethernet.

Unless the router is reset after that there is a fair chance that the next attempt to use UPnP to map the port will fail.
Actually, it means MapTool didn't receive a response to a request to free the port. It doesn't mean the port wasn't freed. :)
LaserWolf wrote:I've yet to see stock firmware provide a 100% robust UPnP solution, though.
Not surprising. For most router vendors, a robust UPnP configuration is not a top priority.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Doesn't mean it was freed either. :P

Pretty sure there was at least one person with a Netgear router testing UPnP back when it was put in but that model doesn't sound familiar. I guess as long as it keeps working then live and let live.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:Doesn't mean it was freed either. :P
Heh-heh, nope. But you implied it. ;)
...] but that model doesn't sound familiar.
Agreed.

@LaserWolf: have you checked to see if there's newer firmware for your router? You might also trying doing a reset to Factory Defaults, then rebooting the router. Then unplugging it for about 30 seconds before trying again...

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

Azhrei wrote:
Phergus wrote:Doesn't mean it was freed either. :P
Heh-heh, nope. But you implied it. ;)
...] but that model doesn't sound familiar.
Agreed.

@LaserWolf: have you checked to see if there's newer firmware for your router? You might also trying doing a reset to Factory Defaults, then rebooting the router. Then unplugging it for about 30 seconds before trying again...
For what it's worth, I was running a wired connection on a Netgear WGR614v9 router running the latest firmware. I had just installed the router for my parents so it is a clean install direct from the box.

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

Azhrei wrote: @LaserWolf: have you checked to see if there's newer firmware for your router? You might also trying doing a reset to Factory Defaults, then rebooting the router. Then unplugging it for about 30 seconds before trying again...
I have the latest release version. The next beta build corrects a PPPoE issue with a specific Motorola modem - I do have a Motorola modem, but a much different model. I actually performed a hard reset (though not to factory defaults) just prior to the previously-mentioned game because the router was suddenly refusing all UPnP requests. That may have been the first time I've needed to reset it since I bought it.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

LaserWolf wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, here's what happened:

One player got disconnected due to his router issues. I can confirm this because he was simultaneously disconnected from Skype. Shortly after that the other players told me (via Skype) that they weren't getting any updates either. I noticed the Send/Receive panel was running constantly green. Maybe it was blasting packets at the disconnected player, failing to recognize he was gone?

I was able to save the campaign with no issues, but when attempting to close MT a bunch of errors were thrown (no description - just an empty error box). I clicked through about 30-40 but they kept coming. Eventually I had to kill the application. Restarted MT server and everyone reconnected fine, no issues for the rest of the session.
We had the same issue last night. Mac OS X Snow Leopard. One player got disconnected, everyone stopped getting updates. Empty error boxes when attempting to close MT. With a restart, everything worked fine.

log.txt is very uninformative, alas:

Code: Select all

2009-10-26 18:20:11,691 [util.ImageManager$BackgroundImageLoader:293] ERROR - BackgroundImageLoader.run(Izzy,279bde201d442a4e01af487e9fc4493e): not resolved; IOException
java.io.IOException: Could not load image: null
        at net.rptools.lib.image.ImageUtil.bytesToImage(ImageUtil.java:298)
        at net.rptools.maptool.util.ImageManager$BackgroundImageLoader.run(ImageManager.java:290)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
2009-10-26 20:49:04,772 [client.MapTool:224] ERROR - Server has disconnected.
I'm using a Linksys router; my firmware is up to date and there's nothing relevant in the router logs. I also haven't changed anything in the router since my last session. The only changed variable that I know about is the MapTool version... hm, no, haven't upgraded anything on the Mac either.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

I just completed a quick test. I ran a server and 3 hosts on 1 PC (I only have 1 PC available to me). If I disconnected one client(clicked the X in the upper right corner), I had no problems at all with the other client sessions. It seems this may be limited to a network related disconnect where the Maptool client does not realize it has disconnected...?

I will do more testing w/ a remote user tonight and simulate a network disconnect vs. shutting down the program.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

barinax wrote:I just completed a quick test. I ran a server and 3 hosts on 1 PC (I only have 1 PC available to me). If I disconnected one client(clicked the X in the upper right corner), I had no problems at all with the other client sessions. It seems this may be limited to a network related disconnect where the Maptool client does not realize it has disconnected...?

I will do more testing w/ a remote user tonight and simulate a network disconnect vs. shutting down the program.
It is definitely the case that the disconnected player did not appear disconnected from the server point of view. Hm; and I couldn't boot that connection from the server either.

Should this be a new bug thread in the appropriate forum?
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

Hello

Is there any chance of getting a dmg of build 60 up on the downloads page please?

I have a player waiting on it :D

cheers

Pete

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Barinax and Laserwolf,

Trevor and I just connected a handful of MT sessions. He was hosting at his house, I connected from my work location, I remoted into my house and conencted from that session, and Trevor also had another lan session connected.

I pulled the network cable from my PC and waited for MT to time out. All other sessions still worked. I reconnected fine.

We did several tests and even booted users - everything worked as expected. We cannot reproduce this odd behavior that you guys are experiencing.

At this point I would probably look at both of your environments and see what the common denominator is. Perhaps that can points us in the right direction.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

neofax wrote:
Hawke wrote:
neofax wrote:except for the initiative overwrite (known bug)
Is this when a bunch of people are rolling initiative at once and it seems to lose people? Just curious.
Yes, but oddly enough, some times without the DM doing anything the Init for Token A would show 12 and then drop Token B's init would appear and then Token A's would re-appear. I have yet to have this happen while I am DM, but it has happened at least twice I remember and verified the DM did nothing as I was about to manually add/set my initiative (Token A).
It has to do with the way data is transferred between the clients. The last fix I made helps some, but it can't get rid of all of it. I'll see if there is some more that I can do, but it may have to wait until after the release.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

dorpond wrote:Barinax and Laserwolf,

Trevor and I just connected a handful of MT sessions. He was hosting at his house, I connected from my work location, I remoted into my house and conencted from that session, and Trevor also had another lan session connected.

I pulled the network cable from my PC and waited for MT to time out. All other sessions still worked. I reconnected fine.

We did several tests and even booted users - everything worked as expected. We cannot reproduce this odd behavior that you guys are experiencing.

At this point I would probably look at both of your environments and see what the common denominator is. Perhaps that can points us in the right direction.
Nothing better than an unreproducible bug! I'll see if I can get the log from the person who suffered the original disconnect on my server; perhaps there'll be something in there.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Hooray for setCurrentMap() !

I have posted a bug report ( http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11290 ) on a couple of functions that prevent the programmatic movement from one initiative panel to another.

Specifically, getInitiative() fails ungracefully when it fails to find an initiative value for the token. Instead of returning an error value and allowing processing to continue, it aborts the macro and reports a hard error. The special variable token.init has this same behavior. (And as an aside, getImage() has this bad behavior too.)

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

Yeah between the three of us now I'm not seeing much in common. I'll ask the guy that had the initial disconnect problem last week if he can provide any more information. He blamed it on his router but who knows?

I'll confirm what Thanlis said - the first disconnected player was disconnected only on his end. The server didn't recognize him as disconnected. My network connection was definitely very busy (but I was also hosting the Skype call). I don't know if I waited long enough for his connection to have timed out, but it was probably several minutes.

I run a weekly game and have had players drop before, but it's never stopped the game like this. It seems like in all three of our cases it's an issue with one of the clients (as in, non-servers). There must be something about how or why they're being disconnected that's causing the problem. I'll try and gather as much info as I can.

Darinth
Dragon

Post by Darinth »

LaserWolf, see if you are able to reproduce the event. If not, we may be dealing with a disconnect during a particular event causing the problem. Like maybe during an attempt to send certain resources to a player or something along those lines.
Loyalty is not blind, and it cannot be forced. It is a sincere bond formed out of respect and gratitude.

Return to “Announcements”