Drag area or resize area, press ENTER to commit.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dglas
Cave Troll

Drag area or resize area, press ENTER to commit.

Post by dglas »

Is there any way to get rid of this infernal thing? I have wasted so very much of my life trying to dodge this, this .... there are no words!

Is this some sort of punishment? What did we ever do...?

For mercy's sake, please, please, please eradicate this wretched torture device!

Give us hope for a better tomorrow. A tomorrow free of the torment of this horrible, horrible ... ARRRGH!!!!!!!!

...please...?

...please....?

:cry:

Drag area or resize area.png
Drag area or resize area.png (11.68 KiB) Viewed 4100 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Drag area or resize area, press ENTER to commit.

Post by Azhrei »

dglas wrote:Is there any way to get rid of this infernal thing?
I have no clue what you're talking about. And your image is too small to give me any context either (but I'm betting it's a Windows snapshot which may be why I don't recognize it).

dglas
Cave Troll

Post by dglas »

Azhrei wrote:
dglas wrote:Is there any way to get rid of this infernal thing?
I have no clue what you're talking about. And your image is too small to give me any context either (but I'm betting it's a Windows snapshot which may be why I don't recognize it).
Shameless opportunism post to bash Windows reported to the site admin for being a post. You bait and report Unix-types, you!

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

We can't help that our system is far superior. Even that Apple company learned from the error of their ways.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

So does anyone have any idea what exactly the OP is talking about? The image doesn't really tell me anything.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

My assumption is the block of text inside the capture block. It does get in the way and is a pain to work around. It would have been nice to have a clear, concise question posed.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
dglas wrote:And your image is too small to give me any context either (but I'm betting it's a Windows snapshot which may be why I don't recognize it).
I don't recognize it either.

Must be a Linux snapshot. :p

I've only used token tool once... and I didn't even know it had a screen-shot tool like that. I thought I had to drag images into it. But after just trying it out, it's pretty obvious that he's complaining about the overlay being in the way... It doesn't get captured so it's not a huge deal but I can see how it might be a bit distracting/annoying. It would be better if it hovered under the selection box.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

dglas
Cave Troll

Post by dglas »

neofax wrote:My assumption is the block of text inside the capture block. It does get in the way and is a pain to work around. It would have been nice to have a clear, concise question posed.

Guilty as charged (about not being clear). This is the Token Tool subforum and the text (the thread title) is indeed from the token tool capture window and an archnemesis to all token tool users.

I used token tool to capture an image of the thread title and used MWSnap (yes, Windows) to grab a pic of the capture. I was kinda being over-the-top silly to try to add some humour to what was otherwise a wail of howling, soul crushing, will to live destroying, despair.

So, yes, I was bad.

But I still don't deserve that token tool capture text! For the love of mercy - no one does!

Can't someone do something? Think of the children!
The humanity! The humanity!

dglas
Cave Troll

Post by dglas »

Full Bleed wrote: ... It doesn't get captured...
That is not my long, tedious, experience. It almost invariably captures the darned text, too. So, capturing an area means manipulation the capture block so the text doesn't cover the image, which is a ruthless, vicious practical joke to play on any end user.

The sheer cruelty of it all...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Ah. Yes, I saw that this was the TokenTool forum, but I've never used the screen capture feature -- I find the images look better if they're exported directly from the source document. For web pages that means right-click/Save As and for PDFs that means Select/CopyToClipboard (or drag to the desktop if Acrobat Reader is old enough).

Sorry, can't help. But someone with the source code checked out can probably find an easy way to disable the tooltip totally, or at a minimum turn it off right before capturing the image...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

dglas wrote:That is not my long, tedious, experience. It almost invariably captures the darned text, too.
Hmmmm... Wait a sec... are you using it right?

All you do is size the box over the image you want and hit "Enter"... the capture (what's inside the box) should be sent to Token Tool without the text. The text is *always* centered in the box when I use it, so there is really no way to not have the text "in the way"... I can't even get it to be off to the side like in your screenshot... so something strange seems to be going on...

I wonder if your other screen-capture program is getting in the way somehow?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

dglas
Cave Troll

Post by dglas »

Full Bleed wrote:
dglas wrote:That is not my long, tedious, experience. It almost invariably captures the darned text, too.
Hmmmm... Wait a sec... are you using it right?

All you do is size the box over the image you want and hit "Enter"... the capture (what's inside the box) should be sent to Token Tool without the text. The text is *always* centered in the box when I use it, so there is really no way to not have the text "in the way"... I can't even get it to be off to the side like in your screenshot... so something strange seems to be going on...

I wonder if your other screen-capture program is getting in the way somehow?

Am I -haha- using -hahaha- it ... right?

I am so ... pleased ... I am not the only one with a sense of humour...

(May you burn in ALL nine planes of hell and have eternal hiccups too, sir.) :D

Seriously, though....

It doesn't seem to have any connection with MWSnap (which has almost never given me any grief), since the same problem occurs whether I have MWSnap in use or not. This is all token tool. More, I suspect it unlikely that all the other folks who have done similar threads expressing some despair at the "capture text's" ... robustness - that they were all using MWSnap as well. There is no other mention of MWSnap that I know of in any of those threads.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

dglas wrote:More, I suspect it unlikely that all the other folks who have done similar threads expressing some despair at the "capture text's" ... robustness - that they were all using MWSnap as well.
Dude, there is not exactly a flood of people complaining about this, and this issue certainly doesn't exists for many (myself included.) I think one person in the b28 release thread (which was originally supposed to fix the issue) mentions they still have it... and it was someone with a grand total of 2 posts... so you'll have to forgive me if I want to rule out user error first. The clarity of your initial bug report doesn't go a long way toward instilling confidence either. :p

Further, this looks to be an issue that affects a minority or we'd of likely seen a lot more people complaining about it since b28 came out (over 2 years ago.) I suspect that a minority of users use the screen-cap feature to begin with... and with it working as expected for some (if not "most") of them, that puts you in an even smaller group of the afflicted. Something in your setup must be setting you apart and we haven't exactly gotten much closer to figuring out why.

Removing the text would probably be the easiest solution... but that doesn't help Trevor understand why it's happening to begin with.

And if you can figure out why you have the problem and others don't, you'll likely have a solution to the problem faster than the problem will be solved with a new build.

dglas
Cave Troll

Post by dglas »

Full Bleed wrote:
dglas wrote:More, I suspect it unlikely that all the other folks who have done similar threads expressing some despair at the "capture text's" ... robustness - that they were all using MWSnap as well.
Dude, there is not exactly a flood of people complaining about this, and this issue certainly doesn't exists for many (myself included.) I think one person in the b28 release thread (which was originally supposed to fix the issue) mentions they still have it... and it was someone with a grand total of 2 posts... so you'll have to forgive me if I want to rule out user error first. The clarity of your initial bug report doesn't go a long way toward instilling confidence either. :p

Further, this looks to be an issue that affects a minority or we'd of likely seen a lot more people complaining about it since b28 came out (over 2 years ago.) I suspect that a minority of users use the screen-cap feature to begin with... and with it working as expected for some (if not "most") of them, that puts you in an even smaller group of the afflicted. Something in your setup must be setting you apart and we haven't exactly gotten much closer to figuring out why.

Removing the text would probably be the easiest solution... but that doesn't help Trevor understand why it's happening to begin with.

And if you can figure out why you have the problem and others don't, you'll likely have a solution to the problem faster than the problem will be solved with a new build.
No matter how much humour you put into a post, someone always contrives some way to get offended... :( Whatever.

Full Bleed may be right about some of these things. I will say that I have found two ways of getting a capture using Token Tool. This first is to comply strictly with the message and hit Enter. The second is to left click inside the Token Tool pane. I use the latter mostly, but even using the former, I still get the message captured in the Token Tool pane.

On very rare occasions the capture will not include the text, but I have not found a pattern yet.

I am using Token Tool version 1.0, Build 28.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

dglas wrote:No matter how much humour you put into a post, someone always contrives some way to get offended... :( Whatever.
Not offended. But trying to get some perspective on the scope of the issue and you made some assumptions about it that weren't accurate after looking into it. For the life of me I can't get this thing to capture the text you're getting captured and I've tried all kinds of things.

Full Bleed may be right about some of these things. I will say that I have found two ways of getting a capture using Token Tool. This first is to comply strictly with the message and hit Enter. The second is to left click inside the Token Tool pane. I use the latter mostly, but even using the former, I still get the message captured in the Token Tool pane.

On very rare occasions the capture will not include the text, but I have not found a pattern yet.

I am using Token Tool version 1.0, Build 28.
What graphic's card do you have? When's the last time you updated the drivers? The fact that the text isn't even being draw in the middle of the capture window suggests that there may be a display issue with regard to where the text is being rendered.

Return to “TokenTool”