Undos and erasing

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
torstan
Great Wyrm

Undos and erasing

Post by torstan »

Just a couple of quick requests.

1. Could we have an undo option under the topology tool? After I've created a region it doesn't seem to want to undo via ctrl-z.

2. While we're on undo, could there be an edit menu option for this? I know most people will find it because its almost instinctive these days, but it would be nice to have.

3. Could we please have tool specific erasers? I can't imagine how confusing this is to new users - I know it took me 2 months, and a forum question, to figure out why my fog of war was clearing when it was supposed to be covering and vice versa. Now the same is true for topology. Could we have an extra button in each of the drawable tool submenus that toggles erase for that tool? Then we could see (if it is clicked/not clicked) whether that tool is currently adding or deleting?

Otherwise build 3 looks fantastic. I really like the docking system and the textured paint is brilliant. I'm amazed how quickly this is going.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Undos and erasing

Post by trevor »

torstan wrote: 1. Could we have an undo option under the topology tool? After I've created a region it doesn't seem to want to undo via ctrl-z.
I'll put in a tracker for this.
torstan wrote: 2. While we're on undo, could there be an edit menu option for this? I know most people will find it because its almost instinctive these days, but it would be nice to have.
Inluded as part of the above tracker
torstan wrote: 3. Could we please have tool specific erasers? I can't imagine how confusing this is to new users - I know it took me 2 months, and a forum question, to figure out why my fog of war was clearing when it was supposed to be covering and vice versa. Now the same is true for topology. Could we have an extra button in each of the drawable tool submenus that toggles erase for that tool? Then we could see (if it is clicked/not clicked) whether that tool is currently adding or deleting?
You got it. tracker added, I'll bump up the priority
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

While you are thinking about those things. I need a faster way to switch back and forth between tools. I find myself switching back and forth between the FoW tools and the Select tools frequently during a session. The Esc key works to go from FoW back to the Token Select tool but a hotkey to get to FoW again would be nice.

Slight bug with the new toolbar and the Escape key. The toolbar doesn't update to reflect the current tool.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:I need a faster way to switch back and forth between tools.
I'm open to suggestions. One thought would be to assign the tool groups to the F keys, but it was also requested that those be reserved for the macro quickkeys.

Opinions ?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Not sure. Not a lot of open keys left. B, J, Q, R, U

Ideally you would want it to be a single key without a modifier like period or comma.

Maybe even as a toggle between FoW and the previously active tool.

Halistar
Kobold

Post by Halistar »

Here's an idea, though it might be more work than it's worth. Make all the hotkeys customizable. The idea came from Winamp where they have external hotkeys that you can asign ctrl, shift, or alt plus another button. This would solve the issue of some people wanting the F keys for one thing and others want them for another as well.
-Elgorond Halistar

trevor

Post by trevor »

Halistar wrote:Here's an idea, though it might be more work than it's worth. Make all the hotkeys customizable. The idea came from Winamp where they have external hotkeys that you can asign ctrl, shift, or alt plus another button. This would solve the issue of some people wanting the F keys for one thing and others want them for another as well.
This is a possibility. In order to keep things very consistent for new people I'd like to focus on a core set of keystrokes before we let people change them up.

trevor

Post by trevor »

torstan wrote: 3. Could we please have tool specific erasers?
This is done and will be in 1.2b6

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks trevor :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:
torstan wrote: 3. Could we please have tool specific erasers?
This is done and will be in 1.2b6
Does that include erasing parts of stamps? Just cuirous. It's amazing what can be done artistically once you can erase parts of a stamp. Anyone that uses Dundjinni would understand what I mean ;)

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Does that include erasing parts of stamps?
Not yet.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:
dorpond wrote: Does that include erasing parts of stamps?
Not yet.
"yet" is all I needed to hear my good friend! ;)

Return to “MapTool”