Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

Full Bleed
Demigod

Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.

Post by Full Bleed »

What makes this even more amazing it that this guy seems to currently have the MT map viewable on an Itouch/Iphone/Ipad... unless I'm misunderstanding his post.

At any rate, some cross-communication with this site and his might bear some fruit:

http://boards.gandreas.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=590
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Scubba
Cave Troll

Re: Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.

Post by Scubba »

Daddy like... :P

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Well, that's jawdropping. He's a pretty good programmer -- I use his Dicenomicon frequently and it's very flexible.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Have him contact us if he needs any information or help. Or perhaps something added to MapTool that would make his tools easier or better? (I wasn't going to register on his forum in order to make one post. ;))

He can use admin-at-rptools-dot-net but that goes directly to Trevor and we know how busy he is! He can also email me directly at sales-at-eec-dot-com and I'd be happy to coordinate.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I'm not registered on his site, nor do I ever intend to purchase an Iphone/Itouch/Ipad (I don't like the software distribution model they use or the closed hardware architecture... no expansion slots, can't change out my own battery, won't support flash or silverlight... etc.) ... so I'm not the one to take point on this. But this looks like a substantial leap forward in someone coming up with a cross-platform interface to a very popular mobile device.

That and the Dicenomicon looks to be a pretty swanky app. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

I will post and let him know. Thanks!
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

TyeJae
Cave Troll

Post by TyeJae »

This seems really interesting... keep us updated if you hear from him.
My Creations:

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

He's happily working along. Click through the image for the project page...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Not much of a project page, eh? ;) I went there and it was empty. Except for this same image.

But it's a cool idea. Having a mobile MapTool platform allows for veritable game store in your hands no matter where you might be.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Azhrei wrote:Not much of a project page, eh? ;) I went there and it was empty. Except for this same image.
It's pretty barebones. ;) I'm really curious about what he's doing -- there's no Java on iPhone OS, so he must have reverse engineered the protocol and written his own display layer?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanlis wrote:there's no Java on iPhone OS, so he must have reverse engineered the protocol and written his own display layer?
Unlikely. He's probably generating the image in Java remotely and using something akin to "remote desktop" to display it.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Azhrei wrote:
Thanlis wrote:there's no Java on iPhone OS, so he must have reverse engineered the protocol and written his own display layer?
Unlikely. He's probably generating the image in Java remotely and using something akin to "remote desktop" to display it.
Ohh. Yeah, that makes sense.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
like ignition...

However I did come accross a java install for the iphone, but I've never got it to work. So its there but (beside a jailbreak which I do have) you'll need some iphone/java related technical skills to get it to work... I hope this is what he's aiming for.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:[...] So its there but (beside a jailbreak which I do have) you'll need some iphone/java related technical skills to get it to work... I hope this is what he's aiming for.
You want an iPhone app that requires the jailbreak and a wonky Java install so you can use it with MapTool?

While that's a great goal, I wouldn't be too excited over it myself (of course, I don't even own an iPhone!). The iPhone's processor is no speed demon so I wouldn't expect zooming and panning to be very quick. (And before you say the iPhone's current apps do just fine, remember that MapTool recalculates and rerenders the map viewport for every zoom change and all pans.) And the thing doesn't have a huge amount of memory IIRC, so medium to large maps may be beyond its capabilities.

Of course, I could be wrong about all that. I only know what I've read about the iPhone hardware and I haven't really been paying much attention to it...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:[(of course, I don't even own an iPhone!)
You have a "Pre"? A buddy of mine talks about how it shames his iTouch.

Unfortunately, the market hasn't taken to it all that well. Seems like Verizon is nearly given the "Pre +" away right now... If I wasn't still under contract I'd be tempted.

At least Android is getting some footholds.

Return to “RPTools Sightings”