Suggestion: Transparency of Dockable Windows.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Full Bleed
Demigod

Suggestion: Transparency of Dockable Windows.

Post by Full Bleed »

The dockable window interface in Maptools is really quite slick.

However, I think it could be even better if we were able to set individual hot/cold (mouse on/mouse off) transparency settings for each window so we'd have a more heads-up-display feel.

In the sample below, the Connection, Tree, and Macro windows are set at 10%. The Chat window at 30 so I could see new activity in it. When I mouse to the Chat window it might become 80 or 90. And assume that the Image Explorer is "Hot" and at 80% because I'm about to drag something out of it.

And while I'm talking about the layout, a second less important suggestion I'd like to put out there would be to allow us to "save" and "load" various layouts. I could see a lot of good uses for this, not the least of which would be to further idiot proof the layout so "restore layout" wouldn't have to be used to get things back to a default if something went awry.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Until we go to an opengl based rendering engine (probably some time in 2.0-2.2) the translucency would be horribly slow.

The layout saving though is do-able, I'll add a tracker
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

LordShard
Cave Troll

Post by LordShard »

About that. Windows Vista drops support for OpenGL. 90% drop in speed from winXP according to tomshardware guide.

trevor

Post by trevor »

That, that's gonna suck. We'll have to figure something else out.

Stinking MS nazis.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Good article on Open GL in Vista.

http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_7/

I'm a big fan of translucent windows... otherwise, I feel like I need a second monitor to offload tools. My planned setup is to use a VTT with a big screen LCD (in 1080p.) I hadn't thought much about having a second monitor in the room... but maybe it wouldn't be such a terrible thing to run the map on the big screen and have a smaller screen closer to me with all the toolbars and interface... that is, provided that MT can be run this way (with full-screen mode on one monitor and everything else on the other.)

trevor

Post by trevor »

It can totally work that way, many people already use it that way. It's particularly useful because of the fog and los features (show the player view to the players, sneak up on them from the gm view).

You can go full screen mode for the second monitor to get rid of all the extra stuff

Return to “MapTool”