A shadow for mt drawn floor plans?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
galneweinhaw
Dragon

A shadow for mt drawn floor plans?

Post by galneweinhaw »

How impossible would it be to have an option on a layer, or a floor layer or something, that would give itself an inner shadow?

Something basic like a linear multipliy from 0 to 1, from the edge of the layer to 1/8 a grid width or something? (5px on a 40px grid)

Before:

After:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Let me think about how I might implement it.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

ego093
Giant

Post by ego093 »

<whisper>...SVG blur filter...</whisper>

Ya - this would be cool. ;)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

A feature like shadowing would make Dorpond VERY happy :)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Man, you are going to start making some of the dungeon making tools out there very nervous!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I'm wondering if Trevor should just short cut the whole thing and load GIMP into maptool.

:shock:
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

The problem we currently face with this is the fact that a dungeon like the one above is made from several draws. If we shadow each draw, then we have shadows where they shouldn't be.

We would have to come up with a method to where we can select an area and then say "draw shadow".

Or perhaps we make it more intelligent; we make it so Maptool knows that two of the same textures just "butted up" together and are touching so Do-Not-Draw-Shadow there.

Another option is a wand tool of some sort that will select only THAT texture and edge it with a shadow.

Can anyone else think of other ideas of pulling it off? I know in Photoshop it is easy due to unlimited layers but in the case of Maptool, we couldn't do it. In Photoshop I just tell the whole layer to shadow.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I vote for a more simple, however restrictive way. Just so basic users can do it quick and easy. If you want something complicated I say go to an advanced tool.

just my opinion.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

dLANbandit wrote:I vote for a more simple, however restrictive way. Just so basic users can do it quick and easy. If you want something complicated I say go to an advanced tool.

just my opinion.
And what simpler way did you have in mind? Any ideas?

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Why not another layer (Trevor just loves adding more layers :) ) similar to the lightblocking layer. You draw out all of your shapes on this layer then it applies a single shadow as if the layer is all one object and doesn't show the boxes drawn.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

By simpler I mean less configurable. Not that I have a better way. I would rather have shadows be everywhere, even if it isn't perfect. Than have to have 3 or 4 configurations to get it to work the 1st time.

I'm not artist. But what would be clear to me is when I selected the texture tool, it had an option to pick the shadow light source position and an on/off switch. That way if I grabbed the tool and starting drawing shadows would show up automatically, but might not be perfect, and would be on everything until I figured out I need to turn it off sometimes, and I might want to pick the direction of the light source.

Anything more complicated would make me shy away from the tool initially, as a newbie.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Vry wrote:Why not another layer (Trevor just loves adding more layers :) ) similar to the lightblocking layer. You draw out all of your shapes on this layer then it applies a single shadow as if the layer is all one object and doesn't show the boxes drawn.
Hiya Vry, good to hear from you again !

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Vry wrote:Why not another layer (Trevor just loves adding more layers :) ) similar to the lightblocking layer. You draw out all of your shapes on this layer then it applies a single shadow as if the layer is all one object and doesn't show the boxes drawn.
I think this would be the simplest. But it involves another layer =)

Is there more than just floor plans this would be used for? Currently that is the only thing I am using he mt drawing tools foor... but it is great to be able to do. THe only thing that will prevent me from using it in a real game is it's lack of shadow.

Also, I'm not sure how the drawings are done in the layer, if you could "flatten" them all in the layer, then shadow the whole layer. Or if you'd have to walk around the edge of each drawn item, searching for intersections with other drawn items....

The other option is to use "shadow stamps" and line them up along the outskirts of the floor. The problem with THIS however (I've tried it) is that since different things "snap to grid" differently (ie a pixel to the left and up for some) my shadow stamps don't line up with my background (off by a pixel) and even if I nudge it over to line up, as I zoom in and out a gap reappears.
Shadow stamps:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... &KW=shadow
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... &KW=shadow

Anywho, hopefully with Trevor's brain working on it he can come up with an idea =D

trevor

Post by trevor »

galneweinhaw wrote: Anywho, hopefully with Trevor's brain working on it he can come up with an idea =D
<gears are griding ....>

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

trevor wrote:
galneweinhaw wrote: Anywho, hopefully with Trevor's brain working on it he can come up with an idea =D
<gears are griding ....>
Quick Jay or Gilath squirt some 3-in-1 Oil in Trevors ear,
--
Big Mac

Return to “MapTool”