Character Tool Instructions?

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

RtrentC
Kobold

Re: Character Tool Instructions?

Post by RtrentC »

I am just starting out with maptool. Is there a way to use the .cmpgn file that is created when you edit the campaign in maptools to create a .rpgame file for chartool?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

No, because they contain two different groups of info. MapTools holds more than just token info.

Zokka
Cave Troll

Post by Zokka »

I have the CT working just fine on the 4E setting. My only question is how to edit the count field on equipment. For instance I select dagger and it shows cost, weight, count etc. I would like to change the count to more than one. i.e. 5 Daggers. But even though it lets me into this field and I can change the amount, when I leave the field it reverts back to 1. Is this a bug or is there something else I should be doing. Thanks.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It's a weird bug I haven't figured out how to fix yet. After you have finished typing click on one of the other fields on that same panel. If that doesn't work I'll take a look at the code and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Zokka
Cave Troll

Post by Zokka »

I just loaded CT again and now it lets me edit that field. Maybe it needed to be saved first or reopened. I don't know. But it appears fine now. Thanks anyway.

Thrayx
Kobold

Post by Thrayx »

So well i got my character ready and all on CT, i have put a token to it also. Now how do i make it so my character is loaded onto my token? Ive tried to do it but somehow doesnt work. Step by Step instructions are always appreciated :)!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

You should just be able to load the rptok file into MT.

Thrayx
Kobold

Post by Thrayx »

By using add to library? if so how do i attach it to a token after? As i said it kinda didnt really do that somehow o.O

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I am confused as to what you are trying to do. When you create a character using CT and save it the tool builds a .rptok file. A .rptok file may be dragged onto any MT map. If the CT game settings file you used to create a character match the MT framework you are using then the data will show up in MT, otherwise it will not because MT doesn't know how to read CT's data.

Thrayx
Kobold

Post by Thrayx »

then how to download the same framework on both? Unless D&D 4e is already there?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Currently, CT only supports TK's framework and Veggiesama's 2.1.5 framework and only the PHB 1 book. I was working on adding PHB 2 until Jay said he was changing the format of the xml data. Since then, I have moved on to Pathfinder.

BTW, Jay what is the status of the new CT and do you have instructions so I can add Lindsay's FW to the 3.5/Pathfinder game setting?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've finished testing CT and now I'm testing IT. I've upgraded everything to the latest libraries that MT is using. So it should be out this week, unless I run into some big problem. No instructions other than looking at what I developed for the two frameworks that are already there. Its been so long since I worked on them I don't remember what I was doing :oops:. The Pathfinder file is still pretty much a copy of D&D 3e with a little work done on the skills. I don't have the pathfinder rules so I can't really do much to the file.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Eagerly awaiting the new files! I will take a look at them as soon as you are finished. I would love to use it to grab a file from PC-Gen or Herolab and turn it into a CT file that can generate a MT file that works also in IT.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:I've finished testing CT and now I'm testing IT. I've upgraded everything to the latest libraries that MT is using. So it should be out this week, unless I run into some big problem. No instructions other than looking at what I developed for the two frameworks that are already there. Its been so long since I worked on them I don't remember what I was doing :oops:. The Pathfinder file is still pretty much a copy of D&D 3e with a little work done on the skills. I don't have the pathfinder rules so I can't really do much to the file.
Careful, I think the rplib(build 120) is broken, so you may want to check it out. I believe this is the part that caused B71 to be yanked as assets were written in a format that could not be read back in on a different machine that did not already have that asset locally.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Thanks for the heads up. Would you know who is fixing rplib?

Return to “CharacterTool”