Looking for NPC/Monster Generators 3.5/Pathfinder

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Looking for NPC/Monster Generators 3.5/Pathfinder

Post by aliasmask »

I'm more interested in the free versions, but may consider a 1 time pay site.

Here are some of the resources I use:
  • Dingle's Games - 3.5 Monster and NPC generator. Free but more features with paid membership.
  • Random Wizard Spellbook - 3.5 Spellbook generator. List random base spells and has random spell generator for each level.
  • Seventh Sanctum - Generators - NPC flavor generators for multiple systems and genres. Generate names, history, personality, descriptions and a bunch of other random stuff.
  • IMarvin's Token DB - 3.5 Monsters. This is a must have for MapTools.
  • Donjon RPG Tools - Another Random Generator site. I used it for magical items but there are some other interesting tools there like Power Attack calculator.
  • 3.5 XP Calc - I like this one because it's not limited by level 20. It also includes advice, treasure value and other stats about encounter.
  • Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator - This is a fairly good Character Generator with many options.
  • PCGen - Application that downloads to your system to create PC, NPC and Monsters for various systems.
Last edited by aliasmask on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Looking for NPC/Monster Generators 3.5/Pathfinder

Post by Azhrei »

And don't forget the PF Statblock Importer which allows you to copy/paste a statblock into a macro and have it fill in the properties on the token. It's not 100%, but it's very close.

(I need to contribute my changes to this macro as I've made a few tweaks over the last couple of weeks to help it handle some fringe cases.)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:And don't forget the PF Statblock Importer which allows you to copy/paste a statblock into a macro and have it fill in the properties on the token. It's not 100%, but it's very close.

(I need to contribute my changes to this macro as I've made a few tweaks over the last couple of weeks to help it handle some fringe cases.)
I wish there was a more generic implementation of something like this for people using Pathfinder but not running Lmarkus' framework. Heck, using PCGen you can create some fast, customized monsters and stat blocks. Being able to cut'n'paste that info into something to create a quick token would be slick.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Cosworth's code is very straight forward, so changing his code to match your token properties should not be that bad.

On topic, I use PC-Gen as my character creator and now with Mosat's additions to the output sheet, you can export to Initiative Tool and to cosworths statblock. So maybe like 20 minutes to build a character and have it both in MapTools and InitTool. Outstanding!

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

Full Bleed wrote:Heck, using PCGen you can create some fast, customized monsters and stat blocks. Being able to cut'n'paste that info into something to create a quick token would be slick.
I just recently found the PF Statblock importer myself and have created a PCGen output sheet in the format it uses so you can do exactly that. If you set it as the default outputsheet in the PCGen preferences you can click preview and it will pop up in your browser, you can then paste it into the statblock importer. The sheet is in my gallery: csheet_statblock_to_token

PCGen now has the Pathfinder Bestiary so you can generate any creature out of it as specified in the book with just a few clicks, or a completely custom NPC with just a little more effort.

I also made sheet that export to InitTools group file format and I'd love to be able to get InitTool character into MapTool but so far I've not discovered how (or even if) it can be done.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Thanks Mosat. Now I'll have to spend some time with Cosworth's code and see if I can get to it easily work with my setup.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

seanrpg
Kobold

Post by seanrpg »

mosat wrote:
Full Bleed wrote:Heck, using PCGen you can create some fast, customized monsters and stat blocks. Being able to cut'n'paste that info into something to create a quick token would be slick.
I just recently found the PF Statblock importer myself and have created a PCGen output sheet in the format it uses so you can do exactly that. If you set it as the default outputsheet in the PCGen preferences you can click preview and it will pop up in your browser, you can then paste it into the statblock importer. The sheet is in my gallery: csheet_statblock_to_token

PCGen now has the Pathfinder Bestiary so you can generate any creature out of it as specified in the book with just a few clicks, or a completely custom NPC with just a little more effort.

I also made sheet that export to InitTools group file format and I'd love to be able to get InitTool character into MapTool but so far I've not discovered how (or even if) it can be done.
This works except for two things:

Armor
Duel wield and/or more than one weapon

I can't figure out how to make PCGen output armor in a format the statblock converter will like at present.

The weapons I know the format the converter wants, but again not sure how to make PCGen output it.

For example, if the monster has one dual wield and one single attack, it might look like this:

Melee longsword +5 (1d8/19-20/x2), specialdagger +3 (1d10/15-20/x2) or longsword +5 (1d8/19-20/x2)

If the weapon has a bonus, then you put +<bonus> in front of the weapon name. That makes the statblock importer import weapons properly.

I currently cannot figure out how to make the PCGen program output in that format or do the armor. Anyone else figure that out?

I find that the primary time killer using maptools is creating monsters, especially humanoid, and statblock2token seems like a solution but currently doesn't work perfectly. The above would push it a long way to what we need.

Thanks.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

I can see if PC-Gen has the capability of putting the magical bonus property in front instead of behind. I think it does for Pathfinder using the new "Renamer" source, but am not sure if this translates over to the output sheet. Also, a parser is only so good and should never be treated as 100% reliable. My biggest gripe is I wish there was a repository where people could dump tokens for a particular FW so that others could use them. Of course minus trademark, copyright and other license free.

seanrpg
Kobold

Post by seanrpg »

neofax wrote:I can see if PC-Gen has the capability of putting the magical bonus property in front instead of behind. I think it does for Pathfinder using the new "Renamer" source, but am not sure if this translates over to the output sheet. Also, a parser is only so good and should never be treated as 100% reliable. My biggest gripe is I wish there was a repository where people could dump tokens for a particular FW so that others could use them. Of course minus trademark, copyright and other license free.
Agree on the token library, would be nice... and I do understand this will never be 100%, but it is quite close if we can get weapon import working.

The main thing is attacks need to be seperated by "or", and an attack that is dual wield needs the weapons seperated by a comma.

Right now PCGen is outputing attacks seperated by semicolon which confuses the parser, and it mixes up things like thrown daggers in with melee.

Armor would also be nice. For the moment I tend to give humanoid NPCs the same armor, so I have a token called Quartermaster and I just have that token "give" types of armor to the GM, and then just select all the tokens I want to have that armor.

Unfortunately I then have to equip it for each, but its a start anyway.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Armor normally works correct for me. I haven't had a instance where it hadn't. Although, it may be jacked due to different types of armor, but the final number is correct.

seanrpg
Kobold

Post by seanrpg »

neofax wrote:Armor normally works correct for me. I haven't had a instance where it hadn't. Although, it may be jacked due to different types of armor, but the final number is correct.
The PCGen output sheet I'm talking about does not output armor, so there I was asking him about how to add that.

Have you worked out sources for creating human NPCs and importing them? Critters are so far less of an issue. A lot less.

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

The plus in magic weapons is part of the name when created in PCGen, Neofax is correct in saying that by loading the source "PCGen Enhancement Re-namer" the plus will be put at the front of the name.

As for the Armor I know the AC is output but can you tell me what format the Pathfinder stat block importer is expecting to see the Armor output in? I could probably get that into the next release for you.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hi, mosat. Thanks for your compatibility work so far! :)

I believe the problem he's referring to may be in the importer, not PCGen.

The D&D/PF framework prefers armor to be created as separate "items" that can be "equipped", yet the importer doesn't do that. It simply stores values into particular fields and anything left over or that it doesn't understand goes into a generic field. :?

I could be wrong, but that's the issue I usually see. Of course for me their NPCs and it's not a big deal since I handle gear-as-loot separately. But it does make it difficult to apply conditions on-the-fly and have them work correctly.

seanrpg
Kobold

Post by seanrpg »

Azhrei wrote:Hi, mosat. Thanks for your compatibility work so far! :)

I believe the problem he's referring to may be in the importer, not PCGen.

The D&D/PF framework prefers armor to be created as separate "items" that can be "equipped", yet the importer doesn't do that. It simply stores values into particular fields and anything left over or that it doesn't understand goes into a generic field. :?

I could be wrong, but that's the issue I usually see. Of course for me their NPCs and it's not a big deal since I handle gear-as-loot separately. But it does make it difficult to apply conditions on-the-fly and have them work correctly.
I could handle gear as loot separately, but I've found that just setting the armor fields instead of using the equipment system doesn't always do what I want.

But for NPCs, that is probably OK if that's all I can get working.

alphacentaurus
Kobold

Post by alphacentaurus »

aliasmask wrote:I'm more interested in the free versions, but may consider a 1 time pay site.

Here are some of the resources I use:
  • Dingle's Games - 3.5 Monster and NPC generator. Free but more features with paid membership.
  • Random Wizard Spellbook - 3.5 Spellbook generator. List random base spells and has random spell generator for each level.
  • Seventh Sanctum - Generators - NPC flavor generators for multiple systems and genres. Generate names, history, personality, descriptions and a bunch of other random stuff.
  • IMarvin's Token DB - 3.5 Monsters. This is a must have for MapTools.
  • Donjon RPG Tools - Another Random Generator site. I used it for magical items but there are some other interesting tools there like Power Attack calculator.
  • 3.5 XP Calc - I like this one because it's not limited by level 20. It also includes advice, treasure value and other stats about encounter.
  • Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator - This is a fairly good Character Generator with many options.
  • PCGen - Application that downloads to your system to create PC, NPC and Monsters for various systems.
Have you tried my Pathfinder RPG Random Treasure Generator for the treasures ?
http://pathfinder.zonegamma.com

Return to “Links & External Resources”