[Gamma World] Framework Adaptation

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

[Gamma World] Framework Adaptation

Post by Rumble »

Last Updated 11/1/2010

I've got an adaptation of my "slim" 4E framework (the one you can see here) for the newest version of Gamma World, just released by Wizards of the Coast.

Since the new GW uses the 4th Edition D&D rules with some minor twists, adapting the framework to do it seemed like an obvious course. Here are a couple screenshots (not much new to see, really):

Automated condition tracking is gone in favor of a tracking panel that lets the GM know at a glance what conditions are in effect and how long they should last.

The PowerLibrary token will let you add Omega Tech and Alpha Mutation cards (and even import them, if you get the so-far-not-annoying-WotC list from the Wizards of the Coast forum), and then during play you can draw cards to replace cards you've lost, or during Alpha Flux moments, and so forth - the new card will be added to your character sheet, and if it is replacing a previous one, the old one will be removed.

There's no library of gear or anything, but that's pretty trivial stuff as it is. I have yet to implement the Ancient Junk table or the Gear rolls when creating a character, but that's also pretty trivial (so long as you feel like doing the data entry!)
Attachments
GammaWorld_RFW_Final_031411.cmpgn
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 441 times
Last edited by Rumble on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Gamma World] Framework Adaptation

Post by Rumble »

An update:

Lots of changes to make it a bit easier to work with:

* Random generation of characters is a bit more complete (the steps are Run Initialize Token - set to PC - then hit F10 or run the Create Char macro).
* Alpha Mutation and Omega Tech "decks" are enabled. Only 3 or 4 of each kind are included, but you can get card lists from the Wizards site, and import them one at a time to store them on the PowerLibrary token. The macros to manage the Power Library are located on Lib:PowerLibrary.
* Drawing Alpha mutations and omega tech cards - just hit the relevant campaign macro, and you'll draw one of the relevant cards. If it's an Alpha Flux moment, you can select which existing mutation the new one replaces.
* Tweaks here and there.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Updated to version 4:

* Clean up on the power cards and character sheets
* Fixes to minor issues.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Noticed a mistake in character generation - both origin Overcharge bonuses are being granted, but it should only be the primary one. It will be fixed in the next rev.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Version 5 is now available:

* Fixed bugs with character generation (I think!)
* Added another option for condition tracking (now there's a frame that tracks conditions; it doesn't integrate with saves all the way, though - even if a character saves against a condition, the GM still has to click the "clear" button on the frame to get rid of it - that's just the way it goes).
* Power Library updates - you can add and edit powers there to build your own "decks" of powers. Make sure to hit "reset decks" (in the campaign window) if you need to reshuffle the "deck."
* Novice Power addition - if you load the novice powers into the PowerLibrary, and then enable novice power addition (there's a macro on Lib:PowerLibrary to do that), then when you create a character, that character's novice powers will be automatically added.

I think I'm done polishing this particular tur- er, uh, apple. If you find any showstoppers or serious bugs, let me know, but otherwise, I think this is as much as needs to be done for Gamma World!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Whoops, found a showstopper myself - changes introduced completely screwed up weapon editing. I've uploaded version 6, which is just a correction to this particular problem.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Aaaaand...final version posted. This integrated the condition tracking frame more completely, and cleans up some of the library management options. Remember, if you have a power library already set up, DON'T OVERWRITE IT!! You can copy the contents of your Omega Tech, Alpha Mutation, and regular power libraries into the new one, or you can copy the new "Add/Edit _____" macros from the new one to your existing library. But don't overwrite your PowerLibrary token, because I don't want you to lose work!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I'm eagerly waiting to try this out, but cannot get GW because I've been banned by the girlfriend from any purchases until after Christmas...

...but did have a question. I do have the Ravenloft Board Game and was thinking about whipping something together myself to play it with my group. The mechanics are super easy, and since there aren't too many choices I'm confident I could do all the monster/combat stuff.

I am curious how you did the card decks in here. I don't think I'm worried about non-replacement as much, so for the monster deck, item deck, and encounter deck I wouldn't mind necessarily just using straight tables and going from there. I am worried about not only replacement but also changing the sets of tiles based on the encounter to do so... just curious if you went with 100% JSON objects or tables (though MT lacks a lot of the necessary table functions to make that a viable route) or a combination.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

They are 100% json objects - a card is basically a power in Gamma World, so it's pretty easy to store them as large nested JSONs. They're a bit unwieldy in terms of size, but it was the simplest approach.

You've reminded me that I didn't post the framework back up yet - I'll have to get back to that (it needed some fixing, anyway, but I haven't gotten it done).

TanRu
Kobold

Post by TanRu »

Thanks for your work on this Rumble; we are getting ready to start a GW campaign so this is perfect timing. Looking forward to the repost.

ScottMcG
Kobold

Post by ScottMcG »

A bugfix, and a question:

In the 4e Lib, I noticed that the getSectionHtml macro has a switch that has a typo in the case section. The cases are numbered 0,1,3 rather than 0,1,2.

It seems that many macros (such as ExecutePower) end up calling CharSheet via sheetCheckChange, and the quick reference sheet is displayed whether you had it open before or not. Having the sheet pop up after every at-will attack seems unintended. Any easy fix for this?

Thanks again for all the work you do!

-Scott

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Ah, good catch. That came around because this game has no daily powers, but I took out the wrong case! Thanks!

I also updated it so the sheet wasn't refreshed on At-Will powers at all. Things move a little faster now.

I've posted the update (I'm going to start putting a date tag on the file to keep it straight in my head).

ScottMcG
Kobold

Post by ScottMcG »

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to suppress the automatic display of the Quick Ref Sheet. If it's closed, and I use an encounter or recharge power, the Quick Ref Sheet for the token using the power is automatically summoned up, and it eats up a good deal of screen real estate.

It seems like this is due to the invocation of CharSheet, called by SheetChangeCheck, called by mopup when the power used is not at-will.

From mopup:

Code: Select all

[h,if(usage != "at-will"),CODE:
{
  [macro("rfw.sheetChangeCheck@this"):""]
}]
Is there an easy way to test to see if the sheet is open or not? I seem to recall there being a way to see if a panel was open, but I'm having trouble finding that function. If so, then I could just at that to the if test above to suppress the automatic opening of the Quick Ref Sheet.

Are you maintaining a Mantis DB for this branch (the GW or Lite) of the framework?

-S

Rumble wrote:Ah, good catch. That came around because this game has no daily powers, but I took out the wrong case! Thanks!

I also updated it so the sheet wasn't refreshed on At-Will powers at all. Things move a little faster now.

I've posted the update (I'm going to start putting a date tag on the file to keep it straight in my head).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

ScottMcG wrote:One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to suppress the automatic display of the Quick Ref Sheet. If it's closed, and I use an encounter or recharge power, the Quick Ref Sheet for the token using the power is automatically summoned up, and it eats up a good deal of screen real estate.

It seems like this is due to the invocation of CharSheet, called by SheetChangeCheck, called by mopup when the power used is not at-will.

From mopup:

{
}]
Is there an easy way to test to see if the sheet is open or not? I seem to recall there being a way to see if a panel was open, but I'm having trouble finding that function. If so, then I could just at that to the if test above to suppress the automatic opening of the Quick Ref Sheet.

Are you maintaining a Mantis DB for this branch (the GW or Lite) of the framework?

-S

Rumble wrote:Ah, good catch. That came around because this game has no daily powers, but I took out the wrong case! Thanks!

You can't suppress the sheet in this framework (or rather, there's no way to do so by an option or anything) - it's designed to run from the sheet rather than the selection panel, and thus the sheet refreshes when the power is not at-will, since it will show the power as expended. However, you can disable it if you want to add code to do so, or hunt down the calls to the sheet refresh macro and disable them. To check if a sheet is open, you use (I think) isFrameVisible(frame title).

Also, there's no bug tracker for this, other than this thread.

ScottMcG
Kobold

Post by ScottMcG »

Perfect, thanks!

I changed the last segment of rfw.mopUp from:

{
}]
to:

[h,if(usage != "at-will" && isFrameVisible("Quick Reference Sheet")),CODE:
{
}]
Sometimes I just can't find a function in the wiki for Maptool that I know must be there.

Rumble wrote: You can't suppress the sheet in this framework (or rather, there's no way to do so by an option or anything) - it's designed to run from the sheet rather than the selection panel, and thus the sheet refreshes when the power is not at-will, since it will show the power as expended. However, you can disable it if you want to add code to do so, or hunt down the calls to the sheet refresh macro and disable them. To check if a sheet is open, you use (I think) isFrameVisible(frame title).

Also, there's no bug tracker for this, other than this thread.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”