I am releasing my HarnMaster MapTools framework. It is based on the HarnMaster 3 RPG, released in 2003. It will work with any recent version of the free virtual tabletop application MapTool. Download the campaign file and open it directly with MapTools:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14502040/harn_default_01.cmpgn
The ideal MapTools layout is a vertical chat window on the left side of the screen, and vertical selection, campaign and init windows tabbed over each other on the right. See the screenshot for an example:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14502040/harn_screenshot.jpg
The example fight in the screenshot shows the basic combat flow:
1. Attacker chooses attack
2. Defender chooses defense
3. Results are compares
4. Damage is applied (if applicable)
I have automated as much of that as possible. For example, the "Compare Results" step is automatically populated with the results of the attack and defense actions, in this case an attacker Melee Critical Success and a defender Block Critical Failure. The "Resolve Impact" step is automatically populated with the correct damage total, damage type and hit location. This makes those two steps very fast, but allows each to be manually adjusted if needed.
The framework includes the house rules I use, mostly based on Bill Gant's HarnMaster Advanced 1.4. I can't list them all here, they are sprinkled throughout the tool. It is possible to change to your own houserules by editing the macro files directly.
The framework uses buttons on the tokens. To see the actions for a token click on it once and look at the "selection" window. Here is a brief rundown:
- Init / Move: Shows the current initative and move values for the token
- Display Equipment: Send an overview of the token's equipment to chat so others can see the details
- Skill Tests: Placeholder
- Armed Attack / Defense
- Unarmed Attack / Defense
- Close attack / Defense (when in close mode)
- Compare Results: Click after each attack and defense has been entered
- Combat Tests: Common combat tests like shock, fumble, stumble, etc
- Resolve Impact: Click after the outcome has been calcuated in order to apply the damage to the token
- Injury Recovery: Click to run through the healing macros
- Piety: Run through the Piety sub-menu including:
- Display Piety
- Add Piety
There are additional buttons for the GM on the "Campaign" tab, including:
- Calc Init: manually select all tokens for init then click this to calculate the init and display on the init tab
- Reset Wounds: impersonate a token, then click this to reset all wounds, fatigue, weapon damage, etc
- Generate NPC: output NPC stats to chat (experimental)
- Ranked NPC: impersonate the "A" token and click this. It will create a duplicate token that is a combat ready NPC of a certain power rank
The framework uses icons to track player states, which is the screenshot are bleeding, prone and unconscious. It also uses a red bar on the left to track wound level and a blue bar on the right to track fatigue.
I hope this is useful to someone else. If I get a lot of interest or questions I will post a brief example video showing how to use the tool. If you are curious download MapTools and this framework and start clicking buttons.