MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 79 (1.3-RC2)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 79 (1.3-RC2)

Post by Azhrei »

This is the "oh-no, not again" build of MapTool 1.3. :roll:

This build is Release Candidate 2 for 1.3 Final. The rest of this announcement is identical to the b78 announcement.

I would like to collect (and fix) any remaining major bugs and then do a final build around the middle of next week. When that happens, the focus will change to 1.4 and 1.3 will only see a new build if some major problem appears.

You'll find the ChangeLog linked from the Main Page of the wiki (look in the bottom right corner). In particular we have not been receiving a significant number of status reports one way or another on jfrazierjr's new Individual Views and Individual Fog patches. So please stress test that area and let us know what you think. If we don't hear about it soon, it likely will drop in priority once we start on 1.4.

I believe I lost some of the minor fixes (small things like typos and such) from the ChangeLog so if you see a post somewhere that says "this is fixed in b78" and it's not listed in the ChangeLog please let me know here and I'll confirm it and update the log. Thanks for your help in this regard. :)

There have been quite a few updates to MTscript (more stringent checks on number of parameters, better handling of parameters, and so on) so please verify that your scripts still work the same way. You may want to review the ChangeLog for both builds 77 and 78 if you haven't used a recent build of MT lately.

We have also had a new Russian translation donated, and the Polish translation has been updated. Credit goes to Lukasz and St.Legion; see the credits in MapTool for more information.

DJuego
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 79 (1.3-RC2)

Post by DJuego »

Thank you, thank you and thank you very much and happy new year! :mrgreen:

DJuego

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

The individual fog worked very well for me in b77, and I was testing it on a large map with a significant amount of VBL. The method of changing the GM view to reflect an individual player's fog wasn't immediately obvious to me, but I did find it. I won't have much of a chance for further testing of individual fog in the next couple weeks, so this is my thumbs-up for now.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Wiki: copyToken() for a hex grid doesn't calculate correctly. It places the tokens as if it was on a square grid. No offset for all the odd numbered columns for vertical hexes nor the offset for centering the top left corner to center of hex when useDistance is 0. Wiki: moveToken() performs this correctly.

I'll show my math of how this can be done correctly in a later post.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

The canSeeToken is now working properly. No errors so far.

skester

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I've found that some older tokens still don't load properly when dragged from the Library Panel to the map. :( When I added code to fix the problem for the campaign file I didn't remember that the code for loading RPTOK files is separate and it needed to be updated as well. Sigh.
aliasmask wrote:Wiki: copyToken() for a hex grid doesn't calculate correctly. It places the tokens as if it was on a square grid. No offset for all the odd numbered columns for vertical hexes nor the offset for centering the top left corner to center of hex when useDistance is 0. Wiki: moveToken() performs this correctly.

I'll show my math of how this can be done correctly in a later post.
No need, I'll look at the Wiki: moveToken() code -- thanks for the reference.

Edit: Fixed in b80. See next post.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, here's what I've got:
copyToken on a hex map.png
copyToken on a hex map.png (81.43 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
This shows an original token at position (0,0) on the hex grid. When I run the macro shown in the snapshot, I get tokens at grid positions (2,1), (4,2), and (6,3). Since the x is increasing by 2 each time and the y is increasing by 1, those look like good coordinates to me. :)

I've got a fix for loading RPTOKs waiting in the wings as well, so I'll upload a new build tomorrow with these two items.

Everyone be sure to check the ChangeLog and then test whatever bug you were hoping would be fixed in this build! I want a final build on Thursday, Jan 6th for 1.3 so if you've got something that must be fixed (i.e. doesn't have a work-around) speak up quickly!

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

The only thing I see missing that I would think is trivial (but what do I know, I don't code) is a keyboard shortcut for "Lock Player Movement".
If that could get thrown in before a Final final build, that would be real swell.
I am a special snowflake!

Mahhand
Kobold

Post by Mahhand »

Congratz on yet another release bro. Maptools has changed my campaign of 27 years like no other piece of software that I have ever used. My gaming group uses an LCD tv which I built a gaming table for and it is just da pimp experience now.

I haven't had any issues with the latest build testing. I'll get the b80 as soon as it comes out and test with it for any bugs. My gaming group is getting together at the end of January for a three day gamefest without the wives/kids for our 27th year, Can't wait!

I know this isn't the place to make requests so forgive me for asking, but is there anyway that a map scroll feature could be added to the keyboard commands? preferably the arrow keys, ie scroll map up, down, left and right? Would really help our control setup for the player side of the table go smoothly and extra enjoyable.

Again, thanks for all that you do with this program and the hard work you pour into it!

Jason

Gringoire
Cave Troll

Post by Gringoire »

I use a router for LAN only (so not connected to internet), and on mac when i start server there is a great LAG before server is on. The same happens when the i'm shutting down server.

This problem exist for all builds.
I can't try it on different mac (because i just have one :D) canyou tell me if it is just my problem? If it is, how could i fix it?
La nuova Era - Sito italiano dedicato a MapTool e D&D 4th edition.
Gringoire's FrameWork Il primo e unico FrameWork completamente italiano, sviluppato da un italiano.

rwg
Kobold

Post by rwg »

Still seem to be non-critical issues with setOwner() // At the very least needs WIKI info to reduce confusion
1) setOwner() -- Java error, must have one parameter
2) setOwner("[]") -- (empty JSON array) clears names BUT does not clear AllPlayers state
3) setOwner("") -- OK, sets AllPlayers flag (BUT, needs comment in WIKI that you can do this)
2) setOwner("John") -- OK sets John, (and clears AllPlayers flag)
3) setOwner("['']") - Breaks something, see setOwner("['', 'John']") example below...
4) setOwner("['John']") -- OK sets John, (and clears AllPlayers flag)
5) setOwner("['', 'John']") -- Sets John. ERROR can no longer manually set AllPlayers flag(with no names selected) --- BUT can in software using setOwners(""), which restores ability to set manually.

Note: It might be better to make "" (and an empty JSON) clear all flags, and a name of "All Players" set that AllPlayers flag?

Frames subcategory WIKI needs the following added link
closeFrame() -- ...DONE, now in WIKI!

setCurrentInitiative WIKI needs:
Calling setCurrentInitiative(-1, or a number >= to the numbers of tokens) // will remove current marker. ...DONE, now in WIKI!
Last edited by rwg on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

PinkRose wrote:The only thing I see missing that I would think is trivial (but what do I know, I don't code) is a keyboard shortcut for "Lock Player Movement".
This can be done by editing the English translation file; it's a one-line change. I'll see if there's an obvious shortcut key that can be used and add it, if so.
Mahhand wrote:My gaming group is getting together at the end of January for a three day gamefest without the wives/kids for our 27th year, Can't wait!
Cool! I'll get b80 out later tonight. The wife has called me to dinner. 8)
I know this isn't the place to make requests so forgive me for asking, but is there anyway that a map scroll feature could be added to the keyboard commands? preferably the arrow keys, ie scroll map up, down, left and right?
Not for 1.3. There's no easy way in the current code to give the arrow keys dual-purpose. Possible, but not easy.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Gringoire wrote:I use a router for LAN only (so not connected to internet), and on mac when i start server there is a great LAG before server is on. The same happens when the i'm shutting down server.

This problem exist for all builds.
I can't try it on different mac (because i just have one :D) canyou tell me if it is just my problem? If it is, how could i fix it?
Apple broke the UPNP library on the Mac in one of the recent Java builds. The library that used to work no longer does. I sent them a bug report with a sample of the problem (only takes about a dozen lines to demonstrate) but their bug tracking system acts like a black hole from the point of view of submitters. AFAIK there has been no action on this.
rwg wrote:Still seem to be non-critical issues with setOwner() // At the very least needs WIKI info to reduce confusion
I agree that this needs to be better documented; until this goes final the wiki may not see these changes as they're still (apparently) being discussed.

When that happens, feel free to register on the wiki site and make the updates -- that's why we have a wiki! :mrgreen:

Some of your examples don't make sense. For example, a JSON array that contains an empty string. It should be a JSON array that contains nothing at all, i.e. [].

rwg
Kobold

Post by rwg »

setOwner(): Some of your examples don't make sense. For example, a JSON array that contains an empty string. It should be a JSON array that contains nothing at all, i.e. [].
But the empty JSON array is for clearing the names (BUT it fails to clear the AllPlayers flag). And if a JSON was used to set the AllPlayers flag to mimic the new(unintuitive) method, would you not use "['']"?

So to expound on my original email...
setOwner() ...// Java error, must have one parameter, not a means to clear the names
setOwner("[]") ...// clears players names, but does not clear AllPlayers flag if set
setOwner("['']") ...// Clears all names and AllPlayers but causes internal problem, see below
setOwner("'', 'John', 'Dave'") ...// Will set John and Dave but not AllPlayer, which is OK. BUT it does something weird and disallows a user from manually setting AllPlayers hereafter (even if no names are checked). Seemingly works OK again if code clears the states(see below).

That's the problem when you are using an empty string to set a state. The JSON [] equivalent is "['']" as [] is used to clear states (if it worked fully). Using the empty string to set AllPlayers is certainly not very intuitive and broke any existing code that used "" to clear names(as per WIKI pre-b77).

So the method currently to clear all states would be:
setOwner("WTF_x17x") -or- setOwner("['WTF_x17x']") // clears potential AllPlayers flag, sets a bogus name
setOwner("[]") // Clears names

If the code is fixed, then I suggest the following:
  • revert code so setOwner("") clears the states (all names and the AllPlayers flag).
  • fix setOwner("[]") so it also clears the AllPlayers flag.
  • support the setting of AllPlayers another way than using setOwner(""). Either or both are some possibilities...
    setOwners ("*") .../... setOwners ("['*']")
    setOwners ("AllPlayers") .../... setOwners ("['AllPlayers']")
P.S. I updated the WIKI on other stuff I mentioned prior, plus full set of examples for json.get(). Had troubles getting in earlier, thought it might be locked for developers only..

rwg
Kobold

Post by rwg »

Hmmm, noticed that

[r:json.fromList("")]
returns [""] instead of []

Return to “Announcements”