Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar Error

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Paul H
Kobold

Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar Error

Post by Paul H »

Hi

Used to use the older '76' version of MapTools without any problems, but now I've updated (to version '86' it doesn't work.

I'm running Vista on a Dual Core processor, with 2GM RAM. I've deinstalled/reinstalled both Maptools & Java (Version 6 Update 25), and even installed on different HDD in case there wasn't enough space for swapfiles.

When clicking on the Launcher .exe file I used to get a small screen confirming memory config, pressing OK got the above error message. Now the memory config window doesn't even open - it goes straight to the error message.

Not sure how/what's gone wrong. Any chance of some help?

Thanks
Paul H

Phergus
Deity

Re: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar Error

Post by Phergus »

Does b76 still work? If so then I would suspect something wrong with the archive you downloaded or how (and maybe where) it was extracted.

That message is usually the result of the zip file being extracted incorrectly.

Does the b86 folder look like the b76 folder in terms of content? b86 should have 16 files and a directory in it when extracted. b76 was probably a couple less.

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

Thanks for checking - the error was my end. The unzip s/ware I was using didn't extract the files (though it said it did). Changed to WinRar & everything seems OK.

Thanks for the help
Paul H

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Excellent. Glad you're up and running.

Axl
Kobold

Post by Axl »

Hello. I am having the same problem. I am trying to run maptool-1.3.b87. I re-installed Java Runtime Environment. I re-installed Maptool. This hasn't helped.

After double-clicking MapToolLauncher, I receive the "MapTool Launcher Settings" screen with the memory limits. I click "OK", then I receive "Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar".

I read the messages above. I normally use Izarc to extract archives, so I downloaded Winrar, but this creates the same problem, as well as installing a load of crapware.

Thanks for your help.

Crusufix
Kobold

Post by Crusufix »

Axl wrote:Hello. I am having the same problem. I am trying to run maptool-1.3.b87. I re-installed Java Runtime Environment. I re-installed Maptool. This hasn't helped.

After double-clicking MapToolLauncher, I receive the "MapTool Launcher Settings" screen with the memory limits. I click "OK", then I receive "Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar".

I read the messages above. I normally use Izarc to extract archives, so I downloaded Winrar, but this creates the same problem, as well as installing a load of crapware.

Thanks for your help.

Are you running Windows 8? We had some fun over the weekend trying to get MapTool running on Windows 8. The best way we found to start MapTool was to use one of the batch files instead of the launcher. Edit the batch file and replace "maptool-*.jar" with "maptool-1.3.b87.jar". Windows 8 evidently doesn't like wildcards in it's command line. At least not in the same way previous versions of Windows did.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

It's more likely both of you are using Java 7 update 10, which introduced a bug with regard to wildcards being treated as literal, most likely a side-effect of their bugfix for another wildcard related problem. I'd suggest using Java 6 update 38+ exclusively for MapTool as b87 is incompatible with Java 7 on many fronts. There are instructions on how to go about this somewhere in the forums. If you want to avoid the wildcard problem in general, downgrade to Java 7 update 9 and hope Oracle issues a fix in update 11.

Crusufix
Kobold

Post by Crusufix »

Ahh, ok, that you for that info.

xorn
Kobold

Post by xorn »

Downgrading to Java 6 worked for me! I turned off autoupdate so it doesn't upgrade to 7.

Thanks guys.

Spooktalker
Kobold

Post by Spooktalker »

Hello, I encountered this problem and came up with a solution that doesn't require doing anything to Java. All MapToolLauncher.exe seems to do is specify the memory and launch the jar. In the maptool folder itself are several batch (.bat) files, editable with notepad, etc, that have memory presets and allow you bypass MapToolLauncher.exe. The batch file is just a list of commands to run. The whole contents of "Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.bat" for example is:

Code: Select all

javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run
The problem with the existing batch files, on my machine at least, is that they call Java without including the full path, and so my machine can't find java as java is not in my machine's path setting.

One solution is to specify the full path of javaw.exe and your specific maptool jar (maptool-1.3.b87.jar in my case) Just make a new batch file, call it "Launch MapTool-1024M-Memory_fixed.bat" or whatever you like, edit in notepad and put:

"<location where java is installed on your machine>\javaw.exe" -Xmx<your desired memory max> -Xss<your desired memory min> -jar "<location of the maptool jar>\<your exact version filename>"
e.g., on my machine:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xss2048k -jar "D:\Users\R\Documents\Games\maptool\maptool-1.3.b87\maptool-1.3.b87.jar"
You can then put a shortcut to that batch file in your start menu or wherever you desire.

Cheers! :D

lespaulio
Kobold

Post by lespaulio »

Just updated to Java 7 version 13 and this is still a problem. I've found I can go back to Java 7 version 7 and it works fine. Anyway, my question is this: Can you set the stack size from a batch file? I see how and where to set the min and max memory sizes, but the MapToolLauncher.exe file also lets you set the Stack Size. The default is 2 but for a campaign I'm playing in I need it to be 3. Is there a command I can add to a batch file to tell it to set the stack size to 3?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lespaulio wrote:Can you set the stack size from a batch file?
Isn't this answered in the README file that is created when you unzip the download file? If it's not, it should be. 8)

flyndad
Cave Troll

Post by flyndad »

I am getting the same thing. Unable to access .jar file

tried using the "web starter" from the read me file to no avail.

Can't find older version of java to install apart from java 6.

reinstalled java 7 version 13 to no avail.

using xp pak3. any other solutions other than installing java 6?

Feeling a bit stuck ?!?

ideas?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

flyndad wrote:I am getting the same thing. Unable to access .jar file

tried using the "web starter" from the read me file to no avail.

Can't find older version of java to install apart from java 6.

reinstalled java 7 version 13 to no avail.

using xp pak3. any other solutions other than installing java 6?

Feeling a bit stuck ?!?

ideas?
read 4 posts up (5 by now) there it tells you exactly what you need to do. Note however that MT b87 is NOT compatible with j7 (it should run, but you'll get errors when using certain functions). In the announcements you should find a link to an j6 install.

Return to “MapTool”