Complete maptool newbie questions...

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

harassed
Kobold

Complete maptool newbie questions...

Post by harassed »

A bunch of friends I used to play 1e and 2e with many many years ago have recently got back together and we've started playing again using 4e rules. We've been using Maptool for a few months now (framework free) but I figured it was about time to look at some of the cool 4e-specific frameworks that have been written. I'm about to start a new campaign in a month or so and figured that before I spend time on setting up all of the maps, tokens, etc. I'd try to figure out how these frameworks work and try to incorporate them but I'm a bit (ok, a lot) lost.

My understanding is that you load the framework campaign file and then create your own maps, etc within that campaign file and save it as whatever you want to call it. What I don't get is how you can use the framework to make everything easier as, from my limited testing, it looks like it makes it harder and more complicated so I'm sure it's me doing something wrong.

Can anyone point me to some sort of tutorial on how it's all supposed to work for any of the frameworks - I've tried the DN, Veggiesama and Rumble ones but none of them make much sense to me!

Any pointers greatly appreciated as I need to understand it and then be able to explain it to my players!

Many thanks

H.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: Complete maptool newbie questions...

Post by neofax »

Here is a WIKI article for DeviantNull's FW:

DeviantNull Setup

Also, I would suggest if you are going to use this framework getting ahold of travist's statblock importer to make your life easier. I haven't played 4E in like 2 years now, but this is what I hear the cool kids use.

harassed
Kobold

Post by harassed »

Thanks for that. Will give it a go but it looks like the wiki hasn't been finished but I think there's enough there to get me started at least. Any idea where I can get hold of this statblock importer as I don't seem to be able to find it?

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

What I don't get is how you can use the framework to make everything easier as, from my limited testing, it looks like it makes it harder and more complicated so I'm sure it's me doing something wrong.
I am also quite a newbie and I had the same feeling when I began using Maptool.I vowed not to use frameworks or macros, I am now making my owns (very simple ones, but still..).

I would advise you to:
-think well about what you need in your games
-take it one bite at a time (you used MT without frameworks, just do the same, using one more feature each session)

For exemple, I use MT in face to face games (now with Flashing Blades game), so I thought I needed macros to setup the rptoks stats when preparing the games, and macros to register wounds to different parts of the bodies and record fencing maneuvers whilst playing. IMHO, anything else would be better played on the table.
So I did first introduce the stats (visible when rolling over a token), then the wounds record macro, then the maneuvers...
Until the framework contains what I need.

You can do that with a framework from someone else. Using only the parts that you feel are needed for your game, and using one new feature only when you are confortable with the previous one. You don't have to use all the features of a framework, keep only those you find helpful.

MT has quite endless possibilities, don't let it overwhelm your game. It is not because something can be automated that it has to...

Just my 2 cents...

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”