building characters and leveling

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

building characters and leveling

Post by jfrazierjr »

How would I go about dealing with leveling things in game system X. In my case, I am dealing with Savage Worlds and will be making a custom version from the base one.

What i want to be able to do is figure out how to set up so that point allocation can be achieve and a "1st level" character must abide by the point limitations. For example, in Savage Worlds, each of the five attributes starts at d4 and you get a pool of 5 points to spend to buy up a dice. ie, going from d4 to d6 costs 1 point, d4 to d8 2 points, etc and being able to limit to 5 points spend max. Likewise, you get 15 points for skills BUT skills are linked to one of the attributes, so if you raise a skill over it's base attribute dies size, it then costs two points.

IOW, how do we set it up to create more of a builder block system. I know this would be done via the scripting system, but how would you signify to the CT that you are creating a new character vs editing an existing one so to speak.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Re: building characters and leveling

Post by jay »

CT has no edit vs. using mode itself. I usually do this with two different screens, one for editing and one for playing. Then you can switch between them using the view menu.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:CT has no edit vs. using mode itself. I usually do this with two different screens, one for editing and one for playing. Then you can switch between them using the view menu.
Ok.. so how hard do you think it would be to make a "wizard" type approach. Open a sheet that has no "editable" information, except for perhaps name, race, etc(I know I can do that via the forms designer..)

Say it's called New Character. Is there an "On open" event I could bind to that form/sheet/view to open another (modal style popup) form to step through the selection process and have that form be similar to a "wizard"? Likewise, I would probably need to make a "level" style form with similar functionality if that's possible. For that matter, can modifying something on one form(say rank) tie to an event to open a different form/view?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

You can do pretty much anything with java script. Java Script gives you complete control over everything. The hard part is knowing where to put it. You can even write the whole wizard in Java if you want, and then start it from Java script. You're allowed to create buttons that have java script attached to them, and it is fairly easy to switch screens from those buttons.

There is an on open (or on load I'm not sure and I'm not at home) event for new characters. So that is easy enough to do. And you can always make adding experience be a button that shows a dialog for entry, then checks for a new level, and shows any dialog if it happens.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:You can do pretty much anything with java script. Java Script gives you complete control over everything. The hard part is knowing where to put it. You can even write the whole wizard in Java if you want, and then start it from Java script. You're allowed to create buttons that have java script attached to them, and it is fairly easy to switch screens from those buttons.

There is an on open (or on load I'm not sure and I'm not at home) event for new characters. So that is easy enough to do. And you can always make adding experience be a button that shows a dialog for entry, then checks for a new level, and shows any dialog if it happens.
Cool... I will play with a simple example and see just how much I can abuse this.

Return to “CharacterTool”