Terrain Overlays for difficult terrain, cover, etc.

For everything about graphics/tokens developed by users and offered for others to use in their games.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Terrain Overlays for difficult terrain, cover, etc.

Post by CoveredInFish »

Whow ... the latest version looks really great. Its snappy, seems to handle lots of special terrain, looks okay to set up.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:Whow ... the latest version looks really great. Its snappy, seems to handle lots of special terrain, looks okay to set up.
thanks!

I too am very happy about the snappy part. Any comments, suggestions, etc.?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

No .. I think its fine the way it is. I wonder if the setup is clear enough for the common user. On the other hand its all pretty clear to me, what can I say about it :)

Well ... some minor rants:

I dont get what you can do with event linking. Do you trigger special event macros upon entering an area? On every step in the area? Ah ... I dont really get what Assign Area is for, but I guess that has to do with my not-understanding of the event stuff.

Is the name of an area used for storing, so if I reuse it I can overwrite a previously version?

I didnt understood the "switch" effect of Show Area, but after a few tries I understood what was happening. Its okay, but not intuitively named - or just not what I was expecting.
I wonder if it is to easy to delete an area accidently?!

HTH

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Thanks for the feedback.
When did you download your version?? I've added tooltips to most input and the macros themselves, so maybe you can redownload to check again and see if it more clear.

The areas are stored in an json object, the name is the key. Using the same name will overwrite. Using the same name on a DIFFERENT map will NOT overwrite!!

yeah... the event linking... currently (that is: if I were to move it to the bag of tricks as is) then the linked event macro would be triggered if the path of the token coincides with the area. Still within the macro you can then filter out which typical event you wish it to run for. You can check e.g. the first and last entry of the path to see if it coincides.
In a later stage I will add the options to set the trigger events (if feasible).

to delete an area:
- overwrite it with the same name
- delete the property on the lib
- overwrite the property on the lib
- click on the checkbox 'delete area' on the showarea.
I'm guessing you're wondering if the latter might be clicked accidentily... I guess, yes it might... I could build in an extra 'are you sure...' but I don't like those and you REALLY need to move your mouse to that checkbox and select it and press ok to delete it, that's 2 actions to delete an area and I presume that moron proof enough.

'toggle effect' of show area... see tooltip for that. Let me know if that's (good) enough

In all, redownload and check out the tooltips, to see if these help.

EDIT: Fixed issue

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I took a look and the redesign of the "Define Area" UI and the tooltip really makes it easy to grasp. Good job!
I think you're right in "checking a checkbox is enough safety" and me accidently deleting an area was due to my limited understanding of the dropin.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

so.. good enough to merge and launch with the bag of tricks??

O and your other question about, WHEN you trigger it, I've linked it with the getEventType macro, so now the ontokenmove shows the type, this will make it very easy to build an event macro for it.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I'll remove this live version and put up a new thread with a stand alone drop-in. Then I'll merge it into the BoT.

Drop-in linked here

Bag of tricks will be merged later. I'll edit this post when its done.

Return to “Tilesets, Token Libraries, and Complete Maps”