Tokenlab: Pathfinder Herolabs -> Maptools converter

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
sozin
Cave Troll

Re: Tokenlab: Pathfinder Herolabs -> Maptools converter

Post by sozin »

Aren't they all :-)

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about those excess daggers. The issue is that TokenLab can't infer from the xml file whether or not they are going to be used as ranged weapons or as melee weapons. In the XML they are all grouped under the <melee> tag.

Here's the mainhand dagger; :

Code: Select all

<melee>
    <weapon name="Dagger" categorytext="Melee Weapon, Thrown Weapon" typetext="P/S" attack="-5" damage="1d4-1" crit="19-20/x2" equipped="mainhand" quantity="1">
    </weapon>
</melee>
And here's the offhand dagger:

<melee>
    <weapon name="Dagger" categorytext="Melee Weapon, Thrown Weapon" typetext="P/S" attack="-9" damage="1d4-1" crit="19-20/x2" equipped="offhand" quantity="1">
    <rangedattack attack="-7" rangeinctext="10'" rangeincvalue="10'"/>
    </weapon>
</melee>
And here is the unequipped extra throwing daggers:

<melee>
    <weapon name="Dagger" categorytext="Melee Weapon, Thrown Weapon" typetext="P/S" attack="-1" damage="1d4-1" crit="19-20/x2" quantity="1">
    <rangedattack attack="+1" rangeinctext="10'" rangeincvalue="10'"/>
    </weapon>
</melee>
So sadly it seems if I follow the directives of the xml output, I should assign all of these weapons as melee weapons.

The only way I can see out of this dilemma is that when the user clicks on the unequipped dagger, a macro dialog box appears and asks the user "are you using this weapon as a ranged weapon, or as a melee weapon?" (It would know this because the category of the waeapon is "Melee Weapon, Thrown Weapon".)

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

sozin wrote: ... a macro dialog box appears and asks the user ...
Which is exactly what we're trying to avoid - menuing.

I'm not sure if there's a good answer programatically, without investing more effort than it's probably worth. For now, I'm happy with just deleting the 2nd, or I could convert it to thrown, so I'd have Dagger and Dagger (thrown).

Like I said, all my players carry at least two daggers on them. Even the Barbarian that uses a Greatsword.

My personal favorite is the one that took Exotic Weapon: Bastard Sword and Dual Wield.
He carries two bastard swords, and two daggers.

The permutations of his attack possibilities are seemingly endless (at least when duplicating macros and JSONs):

main: Sword
off: Sword

off: Dagger

off: {empty}

2hnd: Sword

main: Dagger
off: Dagger

main: Dagger
off: {empty}

Oh yeah, one more...

throw: Dagger
I should change my profile name to Freddy because JSON and I don't quite get along yet.

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

sozin wrote:The issue is that TokenLab can't infer from the xml file whether or not they are going to be used as ranged weapons or as melee weapons.

To steal a line from an Old El Paso commercial:

¿por qué no los dos?

Why not both? If you discover a weapon that has the capability of both Range and Melee, why not create separate macro buttons with the corresponding weaponJSONs for Ranged vs Melee bonuses? After all, the weaponJSON and the macro don't represent the physical objects, but instead what can do with them, right? The physical objects would be tracked as a basic resource, IMO.
I should change my profile name to Freddy because JSON and I don't quite get along yet.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

That's a quite reasonable suggestion. I'll look into it.

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

Here's another suggestion. Something for the Wishlist, I guess.

Sometimes my players will roll, forgetting to tell me who they are attacking (just like real life), and if they roll poorly, they were attacking one of the weenies, but if they roll well, it was the main bad guy...

Here's a section of the existing attack macro.

[h: WeaponCritsOn=json.get(Weapon, "critFloor")]
[h: WeaponDamageType=json.get(Weapon, "weaponType")]
[h: CritMultiplier = json.get( Weapon, "critMultiplier")]
[h: totalDamage = 0]
<table border="2" bordercolor="#ffffff" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" >
	<tr>
And here's my three added lines.

[h: WeaponCritsOn=json.get(Weapon, "critFloor")]
[h: WeaponDamageType=json.get(Weapon, "weaponType")]
[h: CritMultiplier = json.get( Weapon, "critMultiplier")]
[h: totalDamage = 0]

[h: tokensVis = getVisibleTokenNames()]
[h: status = input ("target|"+tokensVis+"|Attack Target|LIST|SELECT=0 VALUE=STRING")]
attacks [r: target]

<table border="2" bordercolor="#ffffff" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" >
	<tr>

Adding these three lines asks the player to pick from visible tokens, then simply displays the choice above the attack results so I know what's going on.

I know we're trying to avoid pop-ups, but this wouldn't be a bad addition, I think - especially since it is completely framework independent, it makes no attempt to pull an AC (which one? regular, flatfooted, touch, etc), just lists the target.

I already manually add these to my macros.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

That's an interesting idea. I'll probably implement that as a (non-defaulted) option inside the TokenLab application itself.

ddufour
Kobold

Post by ddufour »

First time trying to use TokenLab to export my Hero Lab profiles into useable tokens for MapTools and I keep getting odd Java Errors only when using TokenLab.

I import a portfolio from Hero Lab using save custom etc to .xml file as suggested on the instructions for TokenLab.

Import is successful and I am able to edit image properties.

After getting the green check mark and trying to export to create a token I receive this error...

"Something bad happened:\n\n[Ljava.lang.StackTraceElement;@3443a7af"

What does this mean and how do I fix to use TokenLabs. Only one person seemed to have had a similar issue but they never shared what it was or how it was fixed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

hello! can you email the .por or .xml file to me at sozinsky at gmail dot com and I'll have a look at see what is up.

thank you!

ddufour
Kobold

Post by ddufour »

.por?

The only files I have with Tokenlab 0.21 are:
  • TokenLab.cmpgn
    .DS_Store
    D20CampaignProperties
    Images Folder with stock TokenLab Images (which i used for the test token I tried to export)
    jars folder with many .jar files
    tokens folder (where my .xml from Hero Lab was placed)
    Tokenlab-Properties.mtprops
    TokenLabImageTable.mttable
    log4j.properties
    LibTokenLab.rptok
    TokenLab.sh (for Linux machines)
    TokenLab.bat (for Windows)
    config.xml
So which XML do you need? The config or my export? Also where is this .por file?

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

The .por file is the actual herolab file that you create and save using herolab. it contains the characters/PCs/NPCs. .por is the extension. yep, the xml file is the one you export. I prefer the .por file as it lets me debug the issue the furthest upstream I can.

ddufour
Kobold

Post by ddufour »

I sent the files to you. I suspected the .por was not part of TokenLab. You should have both the original .por file and the .xml Hero Lab made when doing the custom export to .xml.

ddufour
Kobold

Post by ddufour »

In case anyone has this issue (it was resolved), apparently the error was caused by gender of the Hero Lab character not being sent. Hero Lab did not show an error for the gender not being chosen.

Once that was set, the Token Lab was able to export the new .xml file successfully.

Thank you for your help in finding the cause and the quick replies.

Gumbytie
Kobold

Post by Gumbytie »

Okay, this is bloody amazing. I have been using MapTools all of 3 or 4 days now. Started with a looksee at a cool Savage Worlds framework and got that figured out. Saw a Pathfinder one and came across this one here via HeroLabs forums. So I tried this one first because of the relationship to HeroLabs (I love that program BTW). Followed your helpful "how-to" and 30 minutes later have my first character inside the campaign.

I saw on your website there is a request for some sort of Equipment page, I second that.

What I noticed on my character (and the ones in campaign by default) was that the languages field was not populated, it had this: <language(es)>
And a field for Occupation with this: <occupation(s)>

I didn't see any mention of the language in this entire thread so wanted to point it out. Wasn't sure if here or on your website via Bug would be better so started here.

As for the occupation, that is fine because I don't think Pathfinder actually has something this could map to. I essentially just put in either a Craft or Profession skill, no biggie there for manual. Not sure how you could do otherwise.

Again, this is a helluva awesome endeavor and as a newbie to MapTools I am impressed. I have only begun to scratch the surface of macros for myself....long way to go :)

Cheers,
Gumbytie

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

thanks for the kind words. yeah, I just haven't implemented equipment, languages, and professions yet. they are on the todo list. glad you like it!

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Version 0.22 released. This is a minor release (no framework changes) where I've overhauled how hit points are handled. Notably:

1) There are now two hitpoint buttons, "+HP" (to heal) and "-HP" to harm.
2) All HP changes made to NPCs are now private to the GM. (Previously they went to everyone logged into the server, leading to some potential metagaming).
3) Fixed a bug where you die at -10 (old 3.5 rules), instead of at -Con.

You can download just the .jar file and put it in your Tokenlab/jars install folder, or you can do a fresh install by downloading the whole zip archive. New users should grab the zip archive. (Here's the install guide for new users).

Once inventory and a few other small features are released, we'll be close to a 1.0 prime release!

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”