Mapping Images Git Repo - Opinions?

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Mapping Images Git Repo - Opinions?

Post by joshsziegler »

I've been thinking about this for a while now and want to get opinions on this. I've created a git repo with the standard mapping torrent images and a few I made (though I did re-organize it to my taste). I think the README explains everything pretty well, so go read that first: https://github.com/joshsziegler/2D_Mapping_Images

I'm still waiting to hear back from GitHub on whether it's okay (they typically request repos be less than 1G in size), but if not, I can host it on a server for everyone. The web UI will just look crappy in comparison. :)

So, what do you think?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Mapping Images Git Repo - Opinions?

Post by wolph42 »

Nice! very useful especially for new people (like me 3 years ago, where the %^%^% were you then :wink:). For more veteran users its less useful as like me I already have quite a big library which partially overlaps with yours making it well... hard to combine. Still I've glanced through it and noticed a couple of things I think are quite useful for me. Overall I guess the main 'miss' are thumbnails, but I guess thats not the purpose of this setup, its meant for 'grab m all' in which case thumbnails are rather redundant.

I'm curious though, you *do* mention it, but I just want to ask for reassurance, are ALL the pics in the repo under the creative commons or public domain license?

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

For more veteran users its less useful as like me I already have quite a big library which partially overlaps with yours making it well... hard to combine.
I understand completely. The only other solution I can think of which would alleviate that problem would basically involve uploading all the images (to say S3) and provide them by their MD5/SHA1 hash (i.e. somesite.com/faed1cfc34b241e07259b5aed0926f6d4ae7ff62). Then I could have a script to download the latest index and compare your current directory against that and just download what you're missing.

The tricky part is where to put new images. I could just place them in an "unsorted" folder to be done manually, or I could add an option for custom organization file. So you could save your current organization and potentially share them so I could try "wolph42's" organization, or "zigs". Then you just need to backup your org sheet.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for opinions on, so let me know what you think about this alternative.
I'm curious though, you *do* mention it, but I just want to ask for reassurance, are ALL the pics in the repo under the creative commons or public domain license?
Everything in there so far is from the mapping objects torrent, which I assumed was public domain since it seems to be the CSUAC and other user-contributed stuff from forums. That said, it's an assumption I may be out of line here. If someone knows differently, please speak up! I've also put a section in the README for artists who want their work removed. :/

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Wel... you've pretty much pointed out the stuff I was thinking about. Uploading though... IRC my lib is about 6.5 Gb so I guess the other way round is better. That and I too have some progs lying around that can be used to un-double. So I wouldn't worry about that. I just wanted to point it out.

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

Uploading though... IRC my lib is about 6.5 Gb so I guess the other way round is better.
I meant that I would upload this collection, not that users would have to upload theirs. So the program/script would just:

1. Download the latest index of files available
2. Compare their hashes against those you have
3. Download any you don't have, either:
- into a standard folder (e.g. Unsorted)
- OR, if you provided it with an org sheet, it would then move it into the folder that sheet stipulates (which allows us to backup our preferred org and for newbies to get started easily)

GitHub got back to me and didn't seem to look at the README or anything. Basically they said, "please no repos above 1G." So I will probably take that repo down and try this alternative soon.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Oh man, ya, this would have been awesome 2 years ago! But still awesome, especially if you can figure a way to reconcile everything with a users current collection.

Would you be able to utilize a Google Drive or something else (Dropbox)? I started using Google Drive to share my part of my repository with my friends. 5bg although 10gb would be better :) It's way easy to provide a link for sharing, but would need some sort of script to compare still.
-Jamz

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

JamzTheMan wrote:Would you be able to utilize a Google Drive or something else (Dropbox)?
I think it would be easier for people if we just used a web server so they wouldn't need to install anything. Plus, I wouldn't be restricted by size. I appreciate the offer though.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

joshsziegler wrote:
Everything in there so far is from the mapping objects torrent, which I assumed was public domain since it seems to be the CSUAC and other user-contributed stuff from forums. That said, it's an assumption I may be out of line here. If someone knows differently, please speak up! I've also put a section in the README for artists who want their work removed. :/
well....it's not you fault, but anything from the CSUAC IS NOT, public domain and should not be in a torrent in the first place.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

Roger. I just deleted the repo. Well this is going to be messier than I thought.

As a side note, does anyone know what sort of license is intended on RPGMapShare when they put it for "commercial" and/or "personal only?" It's fairly vague and so I'm not sure if redistribution is ok for those under "personal only" or not.

Return to “Developer Notes”