Cloud storage for MapTool repositories

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

What cloud storage service are you using to host MapTool's repositories?

Google Drive
11%
Sugarysync
16%
Dropbox
74%

Total votes: 19

Lee
Dragon

Cloud storage for MapTool repositories

Post by Lee »

I need to gather data regarding what cloud storage services MT users are using for their online repositories. If an option isn't on the list, please reply with a post about what you're using.

Thanks.
Last edited by Lee on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vhex
Giant

Re: Poll: Cloud storage

Post by Vhex »

I use dropbox for repositories because it's easy, but I use Google Drive and MS Skydrive for my Maptool image storage because they have more space.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I haphazardly use both sugarsync and dropbox, but I have about 19 GB on sugarsync. I have a few things on Google, but I don't even think of Google when I think online storage.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

i dont use any for repo since my games are all local face to face. with that said, if your goal is to interface directly with the providers API, i would highly suggest making sure they have platform independent APIs. Specifically SugarSync does not support linux while Dropbox does...not sure aboutGoogle drive though....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

I did. These 3, at least, have APIs. I believe Sugarsync was ahead in making itself accessible over the other 2. IIRC, it was why I shifted from Dropbox before. I guess if a client/daemon isn't provided for a particular OS, people can still use their management tools online.

I'm just doing some research in advance. Currently, people can get by by processing direct links, though these may be subject to change over time, making future-proofing generators difficult. So making a unified way to go through the authorization -> token generation etc. to get and post in these services is definitely something good in the long term; moreso if the same method will work for more traditional file hosts.

Unfortunately, it's not looking to be the case, at least for now. After a shallow look at the offered tech, Dropbox and Google drive need parts of their SDK to interact with their services whereas Sugarsync can simply be reached with the Apache Commons lib; though I'm hoping that those parts are just convenience classes/methods. In any case, it's an interesting avenue to explore.

Archeic
Kobold

Re: Cloud storage

Post by Archeic »

Why would I use online storage devices when I could have the joy of re-coding all my work every other year?

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

For my online storage solutions, I use an eSATA 4-drive Raid 5...

Oh wait... I don't use online storage. Too slow to sync, and can't store enough data.
I should change my profile name to Freddy because JSON and I don't quite get along yet.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

LOL. I guess I deserved that. I'm polling for cloud storage MT users use for their repositories. Not everyone can setup a RAID array and make it accessible from anywhere (not to mention that's overkill for MT), and cloud storage beats hosting the repo locally and having it serve on most consumer ISPs crappy upload speeds.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Cloud storage for MapTool repositories

Post by aliasmask »

SugarSync is now transitioning to Paid Only.
Important: SugarSync Free Plan Expiring

Dear SugarSync User,

Thanks for using SugarSync. We wanted to let you know that beginning on February 8th, 2014 we will transition to a paid service. In order to continue using SugarSync you will need to upgrade your account.

Making this change is something we’ve planned for a while. It will allow us to serve you better and add services and features that will help SugarSync users get more from the service.

blah, blah, blah...
Lets hope dropbox doesn't follow suit.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:that sucks. indeed lets hope that Dropbox remains a free service.
Skydrive should probably be in this list of free cloud storage.

Though it's probably only a matter or time before they all monetize... which is one of the reasons I don't want to ever rely on any of them very much.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

austmeliamne
Kobold

Post by austmeliamne »

I use the following program to sync my MapTools (and other RP tools) folder and my resource folder between my desktop and my laptop:

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

It's not a cloud storage service/program, but a way to keep all of my MapTools items shared between my two computers.
Aust Meliamne
-- I reject your reality and substitute my own.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

austmeliamne wrote:I use the following program to sync my MapTools (and other RP tools) folder and my resource folder between my desktop and my laptop:

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

It's not a cloud storage service/program, but a way to keep all of my MapTools items shared between my two computers.
cool. but it requires at least one pc to be always on. Also (one of the reasons I like DB) you have no repository and if everything burns down, you still loose everything.
TBH, I wouldn't mind paying for Dropbox by now. I can always revert to the old situation as Im not 'dependent' of it, but 'the old situation' sucks.

Return to “General Discussion”