Veggiesama's Framework (Shadowrun 4th & 5th editions)

Framework(s) for SR4, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama's Framework (Shadowrun 4th)

Post by Veggiesama »

I haven't posted in a while, but just wanted everyone to know that I've been updating the framework to be compatible with Shadowrun 5th edition. The PDF won't be released until July 11th, but there are some preview PDFs out now. The changes are minor, mainly related to initiative (Cherno's post is surprisingly similar to how the 5th Ed system works). There are also some layout fixes since I noticed my dialogs were too small to fit the content.

That last part actually causes me some concern: do dialog()s and frame()s appear different or identical between different computers?

Also fixed Xanex's excess stun CM problem.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Alarith
Kobold

Post by Alarith »

Hi guys,

is there any other thread to ask for help or is this the right one?

I am pretty new to maptool and even the most basic functions still elude me.

Since we are starting a SR game soon, I was looking at your framework. Alas, the only thing I need to work is the dice rolling which for some reason doesn't seem to work. I load the campaign, I enabled the campaign sidebar (took me some time to find that) and when I hit the roll button, I get an error message:
<html>A stack overflow has occurred.<p>This is commonly because a macro being used has exceeded the stack space specified when MapTool was executed.<br>Please run MapTool again and specify a larger stack size.
I managed to get an error message that the type of Lib SR4 should be set to Token before, but that is not happening anymore.
I tried to use the maptoolauncher.exe to start with more than 2 stacks, but the launcher always throws an error to (it wants to start maptool-*.jar, looks like the version is not set).

Any help would be appreciated, or a hint where to ask if this is not the correct place for questions.

Kind regards

Ala

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

Veggiesama wrote:I haven't posted in a while, but just wanted everyone to know that I've been updating the framework to be compatible with Shadowrun 5th edition. The PDF won't be released until July 11th, but there are some preview PDFs out now. The changes are minor, mainly related to initiative (Cherno's post is surprisingly similar to how the 5th Ed system works). There are also some layout fixes since I noticed my dialogs were too small to fit the content.

That last part actually causes me some concern: do dialog()s and frame()s appear different or identical between different computers?

Also fixed Xanex's excess stun CM problem.
Cool thx I was just wondering about this.

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

I have some serious questions, whenever I try to Roll dice, I get nothing but an error a stack error. I've tried changing the stack from between 1 and 250. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong here?

<html>A stack overflow has occurred.<p>This is commonly because a macro being used has exceeded the stack space specified when MapTool was executed.<br>Please run MapTool again and specify a larger stack size.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Volomon wrote:I have some serious questions, whenever I try to Roll dice, I get nothing but an error a stack error. I've tried changing the stack from between 1 and 250. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong here?

It's better to provide as much information as possible when you give feedback for an error:

-- Operating System used (and whether it's x64 or not)
-- version of Maptool used
-- version(s) of Java installed on your operating system (and whether it's x64 or not).
-- method used to start Maptool (maptool launcher, batch file, Lee's launcher, etc...).
-- provide all three memory configuration you used, not just stack (high mem, low mem, stack).

with Maptool launched, you can also go to Help menu, then hit Gather Debug Information,wait a few secs, select and copy the content of the Window that pops-up, and paste in (place it within Code beacons so it doesn't take too much room on the topic: once pasted, select the text you pasted and hit the Code button ).

Thanks!

EDIT:

-- tested with MT b87, Win 7 x64, java 1.6 (u38) x64, Memory 1024/512/4 : everything works fine.
-- tested with MT b89, Win 7 x64, java 1.7 (u21) x64, Memory 1024/512/4 : everything works fine.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Alarith wrote:Start maptool-*.jar, looks like the version is not set).
This is a known problem with Maptool 1.3 b89 with Windows (the Launcher does not work). So I'm assuming here that you are using Java 1.7 with Windows and Maptool 1.3 b89:

To workaround this and still be able to increase the stack, you need to edit the following file in the Maptool folder : "Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.bat"

1/ Open the file "Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.bat" with Notepad
2/ Erase completely the content of the file
3/ Paste the following data into the file:

Code: Select all

set VERS=1.3.b89
javaw -Xmx1024m -Xms512m -Xss5m -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
4/ Save the file
5/ Double-click on the file to start Maptool. It should now have a stack of 5 Mb (that's what the "-Xss5m" is about. You can change the number if you need more).

Hope that helps

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

booga wrote:
Alarith wrote:Start maptool-*.jar, looks like the version is not set).
This is a known problem with Maptool 1.3 b89 with Windows (the Launcher does not work). So I'm assuming here that you are using Java 1.7 with Windows and Maptool 1.3 b89:

To workaround this and still be able to increase the stack, you need to edit the following file in the Maptool folder : "Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.bat"

1/ Open the file "Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.bat" with Notepad
2/ Erase completely the content of the file
3/ Paste the following data into the file:

set VERS=1.3.b89
javaw -Xmx1024m -Xms512m -Xss5m -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
4/ Save the file
5/ Double-click on the file to start Maptool. It should now have a stack of 5 Mb (that's what the "-Xss5m" is about. You can change the number if you need more).

Hope that helps
Ya it helps but I dread the fact I have to teach non-tech savvy people how to do this in order to use the macros.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

I do it all the time with new players in the French online RPG community. A way to make it easy is to make that change, zip the whole folder and send it or share it with our players. Rather than having them download Maptool from the RPtools website, have them use your modified version, and it will work directly for them by using the .bat file you've modified.

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

Ok so shadowrun 4ed used a init that was dice based, the new 5th ed uses two stats added together plus a dice roll(s).

Can anyone modify that init macro so it will work with new inputs?

Such as Intuition + Reaction + Initiative Dice (1d6) = Initiative.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Alarith wrote:<html>A stack overflow has occurred.<p>This is commonly because a macro being used has exceeded the stack space specified when MapTool was executed.<br>Please run MapTool again and specify a larger stack size.
As others have said, this is a common problem. I'm on Win7 x64, Java 1.7 (u7), MaptoolLauncher.exe (1024/64/2) and it works fine. The "bandage" fix is to bump up your stack size to 4mb or 8mb or higher, but if that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to tell you. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Java. Try using the other .bats and modifying the settings, as other posters mentioned.

I understand it's my "fault" for writing overly complex code for the MTparser to work through, but since I don't experience the problem myself, it's impossible for me to fix the code so it works for everyone. If you have any debug information you can post, I could look into it.
Volomon wrote:Ok so shadowrun 4ed used a init that was dice based, the new 5th ed uses two stats added together plus a dice roll(s).

Can anyone modify that init macro so it will work with new inputs?

Such as Intuition + Reaction + Initiative Dice (1d6) = Initiative.
Well, aren't you in luck!

SR5 Campaign

Here's the campaign file I've been working with. It's a little cleaned up but by no means release-ready. What it's got:
* SR5 style initiative (but no button yet to reduce everyone's init by 10).
* SR5 ammo modes
* Dialog/frame window sizes fixed (I hope?)
* Stun damage overflow fix
* Some error messages cleaned up

Give it a run and tell me what you think.

A question: What's the best way to deal with initiative passes? Every time everyone's initiatives are run through, the next pass begins and everyone's initiative scores are reduced by 10. If you're at 0 or lower you don't get to go that pass. I could make a new button to do the -10s, or I could have do that on the INIT button when no other tokens are selected. Problems: method #1 is ugly and clunky, while method #2 is somewhat obscured from the users. How should I do it? Also, if someone's init is reduced to 0, should they be removed from the list or just left there? Curious what other users would prefer.

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

Sweet thank you so much!! Me and my group appreciate it.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Note: While the gallery is down, the campaign macro button images won't work. I will look into this.

Zer0Wing
Kobold

Post by Zer0Wing »

Hey Veggie, I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work on this framework, it's quite amazing. Got me back into RP after 10 years or so. Looking forward to your 5th edition update, keep up the good work. Is there something local I can do to get the campaign macro button images back into the framework?

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Here I'm formally announcing an update to my Shadowrun framework so that it's SR5 compatible. Grab version 2 here, or check the first post for the latest version.

What's new in SR5_Framework02:

* Recoil tracking (see Ammo, My Char, and Rest macros)
* Added GM button to reduce all inits by -10. It does not remove players below 0, since the rules allow them free actions.
* Added Lindsay's Whisper and Token Move-To macros to framework. I decided not to add Handout macros since they seem so janky.
* "TokenNote" property added to tokens along with a macro adjust it. Anything you think the framework lacks can go right here.
* Gave up on dialog auto-resizing. Now each frame is resizable, remembers its last location/dimensions, and can be docked.
* When a GM does not select a token and tries to roll dice, the output is always secret. Chat now announces the GM is rolling secret dice, and the dialog makes this clear.
* Re-uploaded macro button icons to imgur, since rptools gallery went down. If imgur goes down, the internet will go with it.
* Fixed default player tokens ownership issues
* Some much needed template token changes (thanks, SR Returns!)
The framework still uses SR4 states. Finding out what states to add/remove will be a pain, since "states" aren't formalized in SR5 in the same way that they are formalized in D&D. To discover them would require combing through the book page-by-page for potential states, and I'm just not sure if I want to do that.

Cyberprograms haven't been added yet, and I don't like my current method of using states as a hack for loaded programs. My ideal model would look something like this but in HTML, not in--uh--wood and laminated paper.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or bug reports, post away.

Return to “Shadowrun 4e Frameworks”