Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool

Post by wolph42 »

j7 and b89 are fully compatible BUT launching MT is a bit of a pain as the .exe does not work any more in j7. In b90 there will be a new launcher, until then you'll need to edit the .bat file (for windows).

If you *do* get it launched and THEN get errors: post them on the forum, so they can be debugged before b90 gets released.

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

wolph42 wrote:j7 and b89 are fully compatible BUT launching MT is a bit of a pain as the .exe does not work any more in j7. In b90 there will be a new launcher, until then you'll need to edit the .bat file (for windows).

If you *do* get it launched and THEN get errors: post them on the forum, so they can be debugged before b90 gets released.
Ok, as soon as get some time this week, will do.
And yeah, I always use the .bat file (never used the launcher yet ;) ).

BentonGrey
Kobold

Post by BentonGrey »

wolph42 wrote:j7 and b89 are fully compatible BUT launching MT is a bit of a pain as the .exe does not work any more in j7. In b90 there will be a new launcher, until then you'll need to edit the .bat file (for windows).

Howdy guys, we've just upgraded, and a lot of us are having the problem that seems to already be known, that the Maptool Launcher doesn't work in b89 with Java 7. I see that you say to edit the batch files, but how do you go about that? right now, nothing is working to launch Maptool, none of the batch files, nor the launcher itself. I'm running Windows XP, with a dual core processor, in case that is important.
Last edited by BentonGrey on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

BentonGrey wrote:

Howdy guys, we've just upgraded, and a lot of us are having the problem that seems to already be known, that the Maptool Launcher doesn't work in b89 with Java 7. I see that you say to edit the batch files, but how do you go about that? right now, nothing is working to launch Maptool, none of the batch files, nor the launcher itself. I'm running Windows XP, with a dual core processor, in case that is important.
In short: The Launcher.EXE doesn't work and the .BAT files need editing.

If you pick one of the .BAT files (the 1G one if your machine has the memory) and edit it, you will see that the execute command has a wild card in it. This functionality has been broken/discontinued. Therefore you need to change the "maptool-*.jar" part of the command to exactly the name of the jar file in your directory. Something like "maptool-b89.jar" but do check. I am at work, so can't check my install ;)

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Here's the .BAT file I am using. Just edit one of the existing ones and replace all content with this. Season to taste. Adjust stack size as needed for your campaign / framework. This uses 1024 max mem and 4M stack by default.

Code: Select all

set STACK=4M
set MAXMEM=1024M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.3.b89

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
If your framework uses an unreasonably large stack size and you must, or want to, use Java 64-bit (assuming you have it installed, of course), then here's the same .BAT file with parameters tweaked to launch Java 7 64-bit. Stack 12M in this case, that's large enough for even things like Rumble's old framework before he wised up. :)

Code: Select all

set STACK=12M
set MAXMEM=1024M
set JAVA="C:\Program Files\java\jre7\bin\javaw"
set VERS=1.3.b89

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run

BentonGrey
Kobold

Post by BentonGrey »

Thanks!

Marc Fix
Kobold

Post by Marc Fix »

I have the same problem, the update java not work.
Regards, Marc of www.cimaware.com

Merlin
Kobold

Post by Merlin »

I'm just confused as to what Java do I need to download. Version 6 it seems, but update 39 like the start says, or both copies of update 43 since I have 64bit system like it says at the bottom. And wouldn't the second version I install for the 64 bit just override the other?

I hate Java so.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

This thread was more directed at b87 users. If you use b89 then you shouldn't have any java problems with the latest releases. I will update the header though.

LokeyLysmith
Kobold

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87

Post by LokeyLysmith »

Thanks for everyone's help on this. After i upgraded my PC to windows 8.1 i found myself unable to use map tools anymore :(
But i've had some time off recently and decided i needed to get it up and running again! So today i've followed the instructions in this thread and hey presto! everything's working again!

Thanks All :D

Return to “MapTool”