Token: Inscribed

Threads for tokens/libraries of tokens made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. Anything macro-related should be in "Drop-In Macro Resources".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Oh certainly I prefer anti-aliased edges too, but an increased fudge isn't going to help that. Fudging the edge still removes whole pixels, not partials.

If we want to get all our nice edges, we need to drop hints about the mask support and build interest there.

:wink:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:Hey, it is nice to see you friend!

Yeah, I actually know how I can make these work, I just was hoping (like Steel Rat), to be able to have nice anti-alias edges.

That's all.

But thanks for the heads up on that!

Hey, got any cool artwork? Post away!
To keep TokenTool non-graphic user friendly, for people like me, we'll keep the way it is for the "basic" mode for 1.0, then after 1.0 is released start workin on an "advanced" mode based on discussions in the TokenTool forums that will support anti-aliased outside edges.

So, someday (not too far off) you'll get those nice clean edges :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Also, if someone wanted to submit ([email protected]) or post a guide on how to make tokens in PhotoShop, we'll make it sticky.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Sorry dorpond, didn't want to presume you couldn't do it, just that I can't see a way of maintaining a nice anti-aliased edge when the transparency only works with magenta... even with a 'fudge factor' I can't think of a way to do this cleanly.

AidyBaby
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Mr.Ice wrote:Try

I took the original into GIMP, filled the outside with magenta, then selected the magenta and used the selection grow to select 1 pixel beyond that. Then I filled the selection with magenta again -- this effectively removed the antialiased pixels making a sharper edge,but that's essentially what we're asking the fudge to do in maptool.
The edges are still a little pixely, but I'm probably splitting hairs, considering you won't be able to see it that clearly once it's on a map. Good idea though.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

AidyBaby wrote:Sorry dorpond, didn't want to presume you couldn't do it, just that I can't see a way of maintaining a nice anti-aliased edge when the transparency only works with magenta... even with a 'fudge factor' I can't think of a way to do this cleanly.

AidyBaby
Oh, please don't say sorry Friend - all is good!

:D

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

One alternative is to make a larger token, I make 256x256px tokens which tends to make the edge pixelation less noticeable at most zooms.

AidyBaby
Last edited by AidyBaby on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

This is my take on things:

Software developers always seek out one thing: make the software easy for the end user.

When a beginner user wants to make their own frame, they are going to draw a circle of some sort and paint bucket the outside magenta. They are going to put it in TokenTool and wonder why they have a "pink" ring around the outside.

They are not going to know about anti-aliasing and they are not going to know where to make those changes in their paint program - nor do they want to.

They want to draw circles, paint the outside "pink" and be done with it.

So, I am simply bringing up these issues to Trevor so that he can see the area of concern. Being an IT guy, I guess I look to make things as easy for the users as possible to limit the amount of support calls :)

Thank you all though for trying to help me though - you are all great people!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

AidyBaby wrote:One alternative is to make a larger token, I make 300x300px tokens which tends to make the edge pixelation less noticeable at most zooms.

AidyBaby
That is a good idea AidyBaby!

Very cool looking Token BTW!

trevor

Post by trevor »

And makes the rendering faster :)

The original interest in making a hard edge on the outside is because Java 5 and before can't use hardware acceleration on images with an alpha channels. Using pure transparency (like on gifs) can be though.

We have found though that the performance on small images is still pretty good, so if anti-aliased images work for your setup, we fully encourage it.

But to the point, if might still be faster to just have slightly bigger images (at the expense of some memory).

trevor

Post by trevor »

(as a side note, Java 6 does accelerate translucent images, but we're not moving up to that yet)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Yeah that looks pretty good.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

AidyBaby wrote:One alternative is to make a larger token, I make 256x256px tokens which tends to make the edge pixelation less noticeable at most zooms.
AidyBaby
And those will make it look even better at Colossal size!

:twisted: BRING IT ON PLAYERS!! :twisted:

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Cheers, you guys rock though, the gallery is filling up with some exellent maps and tokens...

AidyBaby

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

AidyBaby wrote:Cheers, ...

AidyBaby
England is a great place BTW! I really enjoyed London and my trip north to see the countryside. Went as far as Liverpool.

Where in England are you from? I am a huge Iron Maiden fan - still VERY popular in those parts!

anyway... :)
Last edited by dorpond on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Token Libraries”