New Website

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

smaudet2
Cave Troll

New Website

Post by smaudet2 »

Props on the new website!

Like the design, pleasant surprise being a newcomer. :)

Maybe also this thread would be a good place to put the various kinks and issues you find on the new site.

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: New Website

Post by RPTroll »

Thanks. It's been a long time coming. I missed the mark on internationalization due to cost. It's still a goal, I'll just have to wait until some money drops from the sky.

Speaking of money, I'd like to propose that we advertise with DriveThruRPG and use that trickle of income to fund the hosting and pay for some of the plugins that make the site better. On the high side we're talking about $5 to $10 a month in income. In that past this has been shot down by the community. I'd like to get a fresh read on it to see if folks are still opposed.

The mechanics is a banner and affiliate id in links. When you clicked either banner or link, purchases from DriveThru (and RPGNow for that matter) would give a small commission to RPTools: usually around $0.10 to $0.50 per purchase based on the price of the material. It doesn't cost the purchaser anything but lets them contribute to RPTools via the commission paid by OneBookShelf. That said, if people are still opposed to an open source project having an income stream, however small, I understand.

Regarding RPTools.net: I'd like suggestions for articles and resources to put on the site. It will be a bit bloggish with new articles every week. Search engines like that. Also newcomers won't have to dig through the forums to get started.

Feel free to produce articles for the site. Send them along to me for editing and formatting and, content permitting, we'll post them. You'll get full credit, of course.

Special thanks to Az for all his hard work getting the site migrated and up. It was a pain in the tookus but he got it done.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

RPTroll wrote:Speaking of money, I'd like to propose that we advertise with DriveThruRPG and use that trickle of income to fund the hosting and pay for some of the plugins that make the site better. On the high side we're talking about $5 to $10 a month in income. In that past this has been shot down by the community. I'd like to get a fresh read on it to see if folks are still opposed.

The mechanics is a banner and affiliate id in links. When you clicked either banner or link, purchases from DriveThru (and RPGNow for that matter) would give a small commission to RPTools: usually around $0.10 to $0.50 per purchase based on the price of the material. It doesn't cost the purchaser anything but lets them contribute to RPTools via the commission paid by OneBookShelf. That said, if people are still opposed to an open source project having an income stream, however small, I understand.
Not opposed.

Some code that will automatically attach the referral id to other links (from here) to those sites might also be in order (since we have a number of posts hawking products on those sites every month.)
Regarding RPTools.net: I'd like suggestions for articles and resources to put on the site. It will be a bit bloggish with new articles every week. Search engines like that. Also newcomers won't have to dig through the forums to get started.

Feel free to produce articles for the site. Send them along to me for editing and formatting and, content permitting, we'll post them. You'll get full credit, of course.
The forums could certainly be tapped for articles when you don't have new materials. There is actually a lot of "content" to be mined around here.

Tips, tricks, and work-arounds.
Framework reviews/tutorials and requests.
Add-ons.
Project challenges (and results).
"Future of" updates.
Etc.

Thanks for giving the site some attention. I looks great.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Oh hey, seriously nice! No longer feels like a "hello? anyone home?' :D

Thanks for carrying that torch! As far as revenue, I'm completely fine with a little revenue, as long as it's not intrusive.

And as FB said, lots of ideas, even if rehashed, from the forums. I wouldn't mind reading a blog on latest & current Frameworks. Maybe a couple of screenshots on it's best features, what it offers you, etc. Video would be a bonus but excessive. I know personally, you can download a framework and go, "ok what DO all these macros do?" and then there's the library macro's or tables that may offer more than what is on the campaign panel?

Outside of that, as a fall back, maybe a Macro Function of the week. Some new examples that's not on the wiki or a twist on it's use.

Some non-techy stuff would be nice to. Maybe new art packs or websites/resources to use with MT. A who's who in the community and where are things heading, who's leading the charge, who's slacking and playing to much Xbox One... :P
-Jamz

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

Cross posting here from another thread, but could we get a page, or at least a section, on the Community page, dedicated to where to find the project?

Or maybe a wiki to link to with build instructions...

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I'll send out a request to Craig asking for build instructions (thanks for the suggestion Wolph). I've put a link in the sidebar for the source code repository.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

RPTroll wrote:I'll send out a request to Craig asking for build instructions (thanks for the suggestion Wolph). I've put a link in the sidebar for the source code repository.
np. it indeed makes more sense to post that request here, than to pm it to you. But that was before I noticed your reply here.

prodyn
Kobold

Post by prodyn »

Smaudet2, I like the design too, agreed.

It's been a while since checking the forums, but I like to see what's happening with RPTools. I think my favorite is the navigation bar, active servers.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Yes. That's mine as well. I need to get a few posts up. One about the BoT and the other about contributing to RPTools.

Glad you like it.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

just discovered that when you click 'tools' in the nav bar you get the index:
Index of /tools

Parent Directory
chartool/
inittool/
Apache Server at www.rptools.net Port 80

I guess that's not suppose to happen.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

That would be correct. Checking.

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

Site could do with a facelift (again, sorry). I mean, its been two years(-ish)? I noticed the old website was in source control on svn, is there a source code location for the new website, if people are interested in contributing?

Return to “General Discussion”